$200 (Headphone + DAC) OR (DAC)
May 24, 2009 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tebolos

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]Edit: Please scroll down to post #11[/size]

Hello Everyone

I need help deciding what to buy.

I've recently placed an order for the Little Dot I+ hybrid after reading the reviews here. It should arrive within a week or so.

I've got $200 to $250 to spare and I am thinking of spending it either on (AD700 and a sub $100 DAC such as the super pro dac 707) OR on a 'better' DAC such as the Little Dot DAC or Keces.

I am currently using Philips SHP8900 and the source is integrated audio from the computer. I believe the AD700 would be an upgrade to my current headphone. However, I also believe that my current headphone could go the extra mile with a DAC and amp.

So my question is:
Should I spend $200 on the AD700 and a cheap DAC such as the Super DAC Pro 707 or Fubar II or Hotaudio DAC
OR
Should I spend it on a 'better' DAC such as the Little Dot DAC or the Keces

I would rather avoid DIY DAC as my soldering skills are next to nonexistence. I've also considered the Zero DAC that everyone been raving on. However, (if I am not mistaken) theres been report about the poor build quality?

Music wise, I listen to almost everything except heavy metal rock. I like a good soundstage (hence the AD700). Oh and I will be watching movies on the headphone.

Any help / suggestion? Feel free to suggest / recommend any other DAC not mentioned above.

Thanks!

May 24, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 12
Why get some headphones that you want and a crap DAC? Do you want these potentially great headphones to sound bad? Or where you just planning on listening to bad fidelity until you saved up for a better DAC later? Why throw money away... just get the good dac, make your current phones sound better, and then get better phones. It's only logical.

May 24, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbitpotion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why get some headphones that you want and a crap DAC? Do you want these potentially great headphones to sound bad? Or where you just planning on listening to bad fidelity until you saved up for a better DAC later? Why throw money away... just get the good dac, make your current phones sound better, and then get better phones. It's only logical.

Thanks for your input! I guess your argument does make sense. However, I am not sure how much 'better' my current headphone will sound with a good DAC. I'd be disappointed if, after spending all my money on a good DAC, could only hear a small improvement in sound quality because my current headphones couldn't go any further. After all the Philips SHP8900 that I currently own would be consider a fairly low end headphone.

My next upgrade won't happen for a little while. Thats why I ask if it would be better getting the AD700 to pair with a cheap DAC now or to go with the $200 DAC.

I am guessing that getting the AD700 would be a significant upgrade to my current headphones.

May 24, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 12
invest on a good sounding can not necessarily an ad700. then go from there. my suggestion is look for a used d2000 they are fairly easy to drive but on a different league when amped. im asuming that they would sount significantly better than your current. btw itwould be very helpful if u can post your musical taste so we can recomend cans better suited to your taste. d2000 however is a good all around can.

May 24, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1st determine ur budget and ur needs. then to some rsearch about the potential candidates. avoid upgadititis by buying the best one you can afford. youll save more money this way.

Thanks for your input! Yes, I've made a mistake by purchasing the little dot I+ hybrid when I should have spend my money on a decent dac / amp combo like the audio gd compass.

Anyways, the little dot I+ is on its way. Now I can either purchase the AD700 and pair it up with a cheap DAC or spend $200 to $250 on a better DAC.

I've narrow down my selection to:
Cheap $100 DAC (to pair with AD700): Fubar II, Super Pro 707, HotAudio
$200 to $250 DAC: the little dot DAC, the Keces or the Beresford DAC.

My question now is:
Should I purchase a $200 to $250 DAC and hope that my Philips SHP8900 will perform better OR should I upgrade my headphone by getting the AD700 and pair it up with a cheap DAC until I can afford something better in the future (not going to be sometime soon).

May 24, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
invest on a good sounding can not necessarily an ad700. then go from there. my suggestion is look for a used d2000 they are fairly easy to drive but on a different league when amped. im asuming that they would sount significantly better than your current. btw itwould be very helpful if u can post your musical taste so we can recomend cans better suited to your taste. d2000 however is a good all around can.

I would prefer getting an open can. So I will not consider the d2000. I listen to mostly everything from jazz, classical, techno to rock but not heavy metal rock. A good soundstage is a must!

I think I'll have to agree with eightbitpotion here. I don't see the point in getting better cans if the source is going to be inadequate. It will be 'garbage in garbage out'.

May 30, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 12
It is not understood to listen to what music by what equipment composition.
I think that I obtain more adequate advice when there is information a little more.

I think how to sound liked CAN.
There is variously method of the approach.
It is a difficult problem. (Because the budget is limited. )

May 31, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 12
Hi IIZUKA,

Thanks for your input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.IIZUKA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is not understood to listen to what music by what equipment composition.
I think that I obtain more adequate advice when there is information a little more.

I think how to sound liked CAN.

I am not quite sure I understand what you're trying to say here. Are you saying certain headphones are better suited for certain type of music?

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.IIZUKA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is variously method of the approach.
It is a difficult problem. (Because the budget is limited. )

What is your recommendation? Should I increase my budget and purchase both DAC and Headphone? Any suggestions welcome

Thanks.

May 31, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 12
My Little Dot I+ hybrid arrived a few days ago. Plugging it straight from my computer (via 3.5mm to RCA connector), I could hear little difference in terms of sound quality. While the amp is still burning in, my initial impressions were rather disappointing. This is to be expected since it is coming from a poor source. Garbage in garbage out.

After some thoughts, I've decided to place an order for the Keces DA-151 MKII. The DAC should arrive in a week or two. I hope I've made a right decision to purchase the DAC.

I understand my onboard sound can achieve 24/192 high definition audio (whatever that means) while the Keces 151 is only limited to 16/48. Although I must admit the figures mean nothing in terms of sound quality, I seriously hope I haven't spend all my money downgrading my system. Perhaps someone can shed some knowledge here?

I couldn't find any shops in New Zealand that sell the AD700. This means I can't test / sample what the headphone sounds like. Also, there aren't alot of reviews on the Philips SHP8900 that I currently own. Most people who own the SHP8900 think it is a good headphone for the price (including me). Both the AD700 and SHP8900 have fairly similar specs (32ohm, 5 to 30,000hz, Open, Neodymium, etc.) The Philips is capable of handling 1500mW while the AD700 is only capable of handling 500mW.

I am not entirely sure if the figures mean anything in terms of sound quality. Any expert advice are welcome.

So, should I shell out another $100 to purchase the AD700? Comparing the specs of both cans, the SHP8900 is superior compared to the AD700 but this does not mean it will sound better?

I'll be VERY pissed off if, after spending all that money, end up with a set of headphone inferior to my current SHP8900. From what I've read, some say that the SHP8900 is comparable to the HD595 and theres even a thread here comparing the SHP8900 to the DT770!

Any help / advice would be great!

Thanks

May 31, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 12
Hi LingLing1337,

Thanks for your input!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Increase your budget and get a nice DAC. Do plenty of research and get a $250-$325 unit.

$325 seems like a rather odd figure.

I've decided to purchase the Keces DA-151 MKII. At $260 plus shipping and taxes, I've already gone over my budget. It better sound good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back