$200 budget. Need portability and sound.
Jun 27, 2011 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MicroNik

Head-Fier
I have a $200 budget for a pair of headphones for portable use. I'll be using these on the bus to and from school. I'll be using a 5th generation iPod Nano as a source.

I prefer a "fun" sound with slightly enhanced bass and crisp highs. Mostly I listen to Hip Hop, Rock, Jazz, and some Electronic so these will be used for all genres of music. These are my choices so far:

Senn HD-25-1 II
I've heard GREAT things about this headphone and I can find them online just below $200. My only concern from these is a long cable, but I heard it is detachable so I could always buy a shorter cable. (Might as well ask now, where can I get a shorter cable for an iPod?)

ATH-M50
I heard good things about these too but my concern is the mixed reviews. Some people say they are great while some don't really like them. They are only about $150 but have a long cable and seem kind of big.

Px200-II
The cheapest of my choices at only around $80. These are super portable and have a short, single-sided cable perfect for on the go. I was thinking about these before my budget increased.

Also, I know many are going to recommend the Grado but they are open and I require a closed headphone.

Thanks.

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Check out the Denon HP700DN they are closed, and are basically a mini D7000 with a bit smaller sound stage and a bit less detail. The nice thing is, compared to the consumer Denon's like 1100 these do not have that cavern effect bass and are not recessed in the mids.

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 5
HD25-1 II is awesome.  The cable is not too long, in my opinion.  I can connect it to my mp3 player, stick the player in my pocket and not have that much excess cable sticking out, less than a foot.  I just stick the extra cable in my pocket.  HD25-SP II is the one that has a very long cable (better for home use as far as cable length) but HD25-1's cable can fit on it.  25SP has plenty more bass, if you want that kind of sound.

You can skip the M50.  =p

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 5
Klipsch Image ONE, DT770, AD900, FA-003 JVC on ear(NC) and Poinner on ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back