$200,$300 headphone, DT770 80ohm for gaming/music or?
Aug 18, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #16 of 29

Quote:
Heya,

First, you need to get the Titanium HD soundcard for gaming and everything else, not the STX. Plus it's cheaper. It will do the job. To use your soundcard for gaming, you cannot have another DAC, so don't waste your money there. The HD Titanium will do fine for most headphones.

The headphone, is two headphones.

I agree on many points, if one's budget is there.I use X-fi Elite Pro with digital out to my DAC (Aqvox USB DAC) and then two headphone amps. And two headphones.

My better pair of  headphone goes to the higher quality amp and I use the bit-perfect output to the DAC from the sound card. No CMSS-3D, no headphone virtualization, just actual data 1:1.

My gaming headphone goes from DAC to the second amp and I use those for gaming.

Sound card is also attached to speakers in case I want to play using speakers.

The only thing I have to change is the sound card mode from Gaming mode to Audio Creation mode or back. Then pick the headphones I want to use.

Now, as for the headphones, I agree to a large extent, but my personal preferences differ.

AKG K701 wasn't the best for me in my gaming setup. Why? Too light bass, leaks sound outside (bothers my spouse) and lets in noises from outside.I preferred DT 770 (32 Ohm Manufaktur Edition) myself, although AT A900 was decent as well.

Now, the choice of headphones is personal, so the original poster would be best to try out for himself, if possible. IMHO, there's no 'best' in all regards for every person.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #17 of 29

Quote:
Heya,

First, you need to get the Titanium HD soundcard for gaming and everything else, not the STX. Plus it's cheaper. It will do the job. To use your soundcard for gaming, you cannot have another DAC, so don't waste your money there. The HD Titanium will do fine for most headphones.

The headphone, is two headphones.

Gaming: AKG K701. It's simply the best gaming headphone that isn't a flagship high-end model that costs three times as much. It's way better than the AD700 in every way. It can actually extend deep for bass. But it's not an overly bassy headphone, but it can hit really low notes. Again, for gaming, go with this. Sound stage is huge. dumb huge. Comfortable. Quality of mids/highs are superb. It's an extremely detailed headphone. Most high end users keep a K701 for gaming. It's just that good. So don't waste your money, wanting to upgrade later, and get the K701 now.

Bass stuff: Sony XB500. Cheap. Equalize the mids/highs up a few dB and you have your bass heavy headphone for music. All other music, put to the K701. Movies put through the K701. Heavy bass stuff, the XB500.

Very best,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
For the price range you're looking at, have you considered the D2000?  Great sound stage for a closed headphone and excels at movies, music and gaming.  They aren't as isolating as the Beyers though.  

Thanks for the suggestion, I'd rather have an isolated headphone though.

Quote:

I agree on many points, if one's budget is there.I use X-fi Elite Pro with digital out to my DAC (Aqvox USB DAC) and then two headphone amps. And two headphones.

My better pair of  headphone goes to the higher quality amp and I use the bit-perfect output to the DAC from the sound card. No CMSS-3D, no headphone virtualization, just actual data 1:1.

The only thing I have to change is the sound card mode from Gaming mode to Audio Creation mode or back. Then pick the headphones I want to use.

Now, as for the headphones, I agree to a large extent, but my personal preferences differ.

AKG K701 wasn't the best for me in my gaming setup. Why? Too light bass, leaks sound outside (bothers my spouse) and lets in noises from outside.I preferred DT 770 (32 Ohm Manufaktur Edition) myself, although AT A900 was decent as well.

Now, the choice of headphones is personal, so the original poster would be best to try out for himself, if possible. IMHO, there's no 'best' in all regards for every person.

AKG K701 too light in bass? hmm thanks for telling me that, I like good bit of bass AND good isolation. I was wondering what the difference was with the DT770 32OHM and the 80Ohm pro/premium? And which one you guys prefer for gaming and movies or specifically just one. Thanks.

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #18 of 29

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion.

AKG K701 too light in bass? hmm thanks for telling me that, I like good bit of bass AND good isolation. I was wondering what the difference was with the DT770 32OHM and the 80Ohm pro/premium? And which one you guys prefer for gaming and movies or specifically just one. Thanks.

I own the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm and DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm.
The 80-Ohm is BASS (quality bass), it really gives a fullness to music, but for movies or T.V. I find myself all ways having to change the volume levels.
Movie and T.V. shows with big loud special effect or music, kind of drowns out the voices.
And have to turn down the volume when commercials come, as the T.V. stations pump up the volume for the commercials.
Heard the DT-770 32-Ohm have the least amount of bass and they usually cost around $85 more then the DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm
I really really like the sound of my DT-770 250-Ohm cans, so save yourself $85
Get the Asus Xonar Essence STX, I believe the headphone amplifier is rated to 600-Ohms.

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #19 of 29
I've used the K702 for a year of extensive competetive gaming. It's fantastic. However, the Pro 900 (with silver pads) thoroghly trounced it in every area other than soundstage SIZE. Details, soundstage imaging/precision, details, immersiveness...everything. Plus it completely destroys the AKG for single player gaming and movies. Not a contest. Don't get me wrong-the K702 is one of my favorite headphones ever-and the one that got me sucked into this dreaded hobby lol. But for games and movies...so far...the Pro 900 is untouchable. I'm gonna buy the Pro 2900s next though because I feel they will be better than the closed-back 900 for everything but overpowering bass and sibilant highs lol. My .02

-Daniel

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #20 of 29

Quote:

I own the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm and DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm.
The 80-Ohm is BASS (quality bass), it really gives a fullness to music, but for movies or T.V. I find myself all ways having to change the volume levels.
Movie and T.V. shows with big loud special effect or music, kind of drowns out the voices.
And have to turn down the volume when commercials come, as the T.V. stations pump up the volume for the commercials.
Heard the DT-770 32-Ohm have the least amount of bass and they usually cost around $85 more then the DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm
I really really like the sound of my DT-770 250-Ohm cans, so save yourself $85
Get the Asus Xonar Essence STX, I believe the headphone amplifier is rated to 600-Ohms.

Thanks for telling me about that, I think after everything I've seen so far, I'd most likely want to get the
DT-770 80Ohms (lots of good quality bass, soundstage, imaging. For games and music-dubstep and the occasional youtube video).

Quote:
I've used the K702 for a year of extensive competetive gaming. It's fantastic. However, the Pro 900 (with silver pads) thoroghly trounced it in every area other than soundstage SIZE. Details, soundstage imaging/precision, details, immersiveness...everything. Plus it completely destroys the AKG for single player gaming and movies. Not a contest. Don't get me wrong-the K702 is one of my favorite headphones ever-and the one that got me sucked into this dreaded hobby lol. But for games and movies...so far...the Pro 900 is untouchable. I'm gonna buy the Pro 2900s next though because I feel they will be better than the closed-back 900 for everything but overpowering bass and sibilant highs lol. My .02

-Daniel

Nice, even though the Pro 900 is over my price range, it sounds really good, but I'd rather spend $150 dollars less though
beyersmile.png
. Maybe I'd look into it if I ever do decide to get one strictly for gaming (which I hope I'd be fine with the one i choose). Thanks for the comment.

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #22 of 29
Thanks all for your suggestions, I think I have made up my mind, I'm probably just going to get the DT770 Pro-80 , I just need a little help choosing the right sound card to get, I want excellent soundstage and imaging, also I want to listen to some high quality music with it. If I had to choose which one I wouldn't mind being better over the other, it would  I would be directional imaging in games. I read that this headphone will need an amp to sound up to its potential, but I do not know which one will be the best for it, nor do I know exactly how you hook them both up, or if you only need the amp without the sound card. Please leave me suggestions on the type of
sound card/amp I should be choosing, thanks a lot everyone!!!

***EDIT***  I would rather have an external amp if that would be possible.

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #23 of 29

Quote:
Thanks all for your suggestions, I think I have made up my mind, I'm probably just going to get the DT770 Pro-80 , I just need a little help choosing the right sound card to get, I want excellent soundstage and imaging, also I want to listen to some high quality music with it. If I had to choose which one I wouldn't mind being better over the other, it would  I would be directional imaging in games. I read that this headphone will need an amp to sound up to its potential, but I do not know which one will be the best for it, nor do I know exactly how you hook them both up, or if you only need the amp without the sound card. Please leave me suggestions on the type of
sound card/amp I should be choosing, thanks a lot everyone!!!

***EDIT***  I would rather have an external amp if that would be possible.

The Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card ($40+), has a headphone amplifier (I'm assuming rated to 150-Ohm?) comes with Dolby (I heard some games support Dolby Headphone 5.1).
Also has GX (version 2.5) which is used to emulute EAX 5.0 (there are mixed opinions on how well is works), I would assume Asus is working on version 3.0.
Comes with two mini (3.5mm) stereo jacks, one for the headphone and one for the mic. And of course plugs into your computer's USB port.

Internal sound card option
Asus Xonar DG (PCI), currently as cheap as $23 mail order, and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month (U.S.A.)
Really the same features as the Xonar U3.....but.
You can plug your headphones in to the back panel or the headphone jack on the front of your computer case.
Work with a 5.1 speaker setup.
Fairly small sound card.

Aug 20, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #24 of 29

Quote:

The Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card ($40+), has a headphone amplifier (I'm assuming rated to 150-Ohm?) comes with Dolby (I heard some games support Dolby Headphone 5.1).
Also has GX (version 2.5) which is used to emulute EAX 5.0 (there are mixed opinions on how well is works), I would assume Asus is working on version 3.0.
Comes with two mini (3.5mm) stereo jacks, one for the headphone and one for the mic. And of course plugs into your computer's USB port.

Internal sound card option
Asus Xonar DG (PCI), currently as cheap as $23 mail order, and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month (U.S.A.)
Really the same features as the Xonar U3.....but.
You can plug your headphones in to the back panel or the headphone jack on the front of your computer case.
Work with a 5.1 speaker setup.
Fairly small sound card.

DT770 Pro-80 Ohm

I meant i would rather have an external amplifier if i need it? I don't know much about amplifiers, but I would want a sound card on my motherboard... so it would be powered by my power supply? i have a 750 watt power supply (got it on sale when it was $79 i think it was
biggrin.gif
) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

I'm thinking about actually getting a creative card, probably titanium HD. I have Windows7-64bit, I have read where people say the drivers are bad for that, and I have also read where other people say it does fine with their win7-64bit. But yea, I'd rather have better soundstage and the best directional sound, I heard Asus Xonar's are only decent with games but good for movies, and Creative cards are only decent with movies, but good with games. Do you know anything about the Creative cards? if so please leave me some info, thanks.

***Edit: Also, if a sound card can power 80ohms (for the DT770 Pro-80), I won't need an amp?, and can I attach an amp to my graphics card or something? I've looked around I couldn't find any information that i can understand completely.

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #25 of 29

Quote:
DT770 Pro-80 Ohm

I meant i would rather have an external amplifier if i need it? I don't know much about amplifiers, but I would want a sound card on my motherboard... so it would be powered by my power supply? i have a 750 watt power supply (got it on sale when it was $79 i think it was
biggrin.gif
) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

I'm thinking about actually getting a creative card, probably titanium HD. I have Windows7-64bit, I have read where people say the drivers are bad for that, and I have also read where other people say it does fine with their win7-64bit. But yea, I'd rather have better soundstage and the best directional sound, I heard Asus Xonar's are only decent with games but good for movies, and Creative cards are only decent with movies, but good with games. Do you know anything about the Creative cards? if so please leave me some info, thanks.

***Edit: Also, if a sound card can power 80ohms (for the DT770 Pro-80), I won't need an amp?, and can I attach an amp to my graphics card or something? I've looked around I couldn't find any information that i can understand completely.

You have the exact same power supply as me
The Asus Xonar U3 is an external amplifier (headphones only) (and functions as a sound card for headphones), just a very basic and simple one. That can power the DT-770 80-Ohm.
Lots of people like the Titanium HD card, will do games as good as any sound card.
Xonars have all ways come with Dolby and as most dvd movies come with Dolby 5.1 sound, you can see why Xonars play movies well.
I think the Titanium HD comes with Dolby, but not sure.
I've heard the more and more games are having support for Dolby.
I just found Creative labs drivers a pain to work with, they do not have one software/driver CD for all their sound cards.
Each Creative Labs model sound card has it's own driver CD that will only install for that one model.
So do not lose or misplace the Creative Labs CD
With Xonars, It's only one simple driver download, I can delete/repair/update the drivers, all with in 10 minutes.

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #26 of 29
I have decided on which headphone+soundcard I am going to be getting,  DT770Pro-80ohms + Asus Xonar DT , We'll see if i can type up a review or something after I try it out, thanks to everyone that contributed.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #27 of 29
6 months later... So, how did it go?

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #28 of 29

Quote:

Question, so you have two headphones: Sound card to dac to amp to headphones Can you utilise dsp effects like eax through the sound card, through the DAC so you are making full use of both? What exactly is possible if you have a sound card, and an external DAC?

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #29 of 29
I am very pleased with my choice, music sounds really good. if it is for games, I'd have to say from my experience , speakers are a lot better, these are a lot better compared to my previous headphones though, but they just aren't PERFECT(like speakers) from my experiences. But yes, I am very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back