2-way "bookshelf" speaker recommendations?
Oct 14, 2008 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Traddad

500+ Head-Fier
I need a recommendation for a set of relatively small speakers to fit my relatively small living room. The "bookshelf" size range would fit about right (8.5 x 14 x 12 ish). They will reside on stands, need to be at least 2 way and have the tweeter on top. I also have a sub. What's a good "bang for the buck" speaker that would sell in the $250-350/pair range used? It would be great if they were readily available rather than some low quantity boutique brand.

Thanks!

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairbanks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought some Wharfedale Dimond 9.1 bookshelf speakers that are on sale at STO Sound & Vision Great pair of speakers.

Wow...those look great, but they are above the range of what I really wanted to spend and I'm pretty sure the used market is pretty small. I was looking at a set of Usher S-520s for $249 but didn't jump fast enough and now they're gone and I probably won't see that deal for a while. Are there any "hidden gems" made by major manufacturers that I'll be able to find readily?

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...those look great, but they are above the range of what I really wanted to spend and I'm pretty sure the used market is pretty small. I was looking at a set of Usher S-520s for $249 but didn't jump fast enough and now they're gone and I probably won't see that deal for a while. Are there any "hidden gems" made by major manufacturers that I'll be able to find readily?

The quoted price is $230. Are you sure you weren't looking at the Limited Anniversary Edition? I've never heard them myself but for what it's worth, some people on Head-Fi swear by them.

And yeah, you should have jumped on those Usher's. $250 for the S-520's is a pretty good deal.

Oct 14, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

I'm sorry the ones I bought are the Wharfedale Dimond 9.0 bookshelf speakers on sale for $99.

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 11
Actually, the 9.1s were only $230. I found them. How do you like the 9.0s?

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Actually, the 9.1s were only $230. I found them. How do you like the 9.0s?

For the price they are very involving speakers.I'm using them in replacement of my Denon mini system speakers.I also have a sub which mixes well with the speakers and sounds excellent.Also if you don't know the Wharfedale line of speakers are highly regarded speakers.Hope this helps.

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 11
I also have the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's and I am very happy with them. I bought the 75th anniversary ltd. edtion version, but I doubt they sound any different than the base model. Great value IMO.

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairbanks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry the ones I bought are the Wharfedale Dimond 9.0 bookshelf speakers on sale for $99.

Bought a set. Couldn't resist the little suckers. They'll become rear speakers at some point.

Oct 14, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Bought a set. Couldn't resist the little suckers. They'll become rear speakers at some point.

Good move.You wont be disappointed.Give them a little time to sound there best.Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back