2 great "classical" cans
May 28, 2006 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Sladeophile

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, so in light of all the "which can is the best for classical" threads going around, I thought I would give some input. Tonight I had my first real chance to listen to my new K701s. I think these are beautiful cans and was hoping they would sound as good as they look.

Well they lived up to the hype for me. I have long stood by my old HD600 with cardas standard as the best for classical, but the K701s dethroned them. Well, partially at least.

I found that the level of detail they produce, and the immense soundstage work so very well for classical chamber music, outshining my beloved HD600s in this regard. A very impressive feat, in my book.

But when I took out an orchestral work for a listen, the soundstage seemed a bit too removed for my taste, whereas the HD600 was so nice. So the HD600 with cardas is the best classical orchestral music can.

So I've made a nice little discovery that the combo of these 2 cans makes THE BEST CLASSICAL HEADPHONE(s), at least for me. Of course this is in their pricerange of around $300-400. I hardly ever listen to vocal works though, in case you were wondering.

I was going to sell one of these pairs, but I will now keep both...
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 20
If soundstage is a big concern for you, I think the AKG K340's will fit you bill
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
If soundstage is a big concern for you, I think the AKG K340's will fit you bill
biggrin.gif

A 20 year old headphone that's long since unavailable?

Where could someone even get one of those these days anyways...keeping in mind, of course, they would be WELL used and worn-in (worn out?)

It's really too bad people can't have access to headphones like these anymore. I wish some of these companies would do limited re-pressings and the like, just to keep some circulation going...especially if it was a really high quality product.

I can vouch for the 701's all the way on classical music and the like...especially after some decent burn-in time.

The author of this thread is not the first person I've seen give a salute to the Senns 600's, even over the 595s and the 650's, for classical and the like.

What I'd be interested in seeing is this: How much of a difference, honestly, do these Cardas or Equinox cables REALLY make on the Senns cans?

Did Headroom or anyone like that ever do "before/after" charts going from stock cables to speciality cables? (That's a general question, not just confined to Senns.)

I know the charts aren't the first and last word on anything, but at least it's a reference point to launch off of.

Yes, the undercurrent to this: I'm skeptical about headphone recabling and how much benefit a person really gets.

May 28, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 20
I like the HD600s for classical as well but am using my DT880s and it sounds pretty damn good to me.

May 28, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
I like the HD600s for classical as well but am using my DT880s and it sounds pretty damn good to me.

You've got a lot of headphones listed in your sig, chief. How do you break all that down?

Does each can get assigned a certain genre of music?
wink.gif

May 28, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen
Does each can get assigned a certain genre of music?
wink.gif

That and I tend to "roll" headphones. My music is extremely varied so I look for certain weapons for certain jobs.

Yeah I need a new source but the RS-2 and AD2000 are calling my name.
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
That and I tend to "roll" headphones. My music is extremely varied so I look for certain weapons for certain jobs.

Yeah I need a new source but the RS-2 and AD2000 are calling my name.
biggrin.gif

Heh, I hear ya.
icon10.gif

May 28, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Where could someone even get one of those these days anyways...keeping in mind, of course, they would be WELL used and worn-in (worn out?)

It's really too bad people can't have access to headphones like these anymore. I wish some of these companies would do limited re-pressings and the like, just to keep some circulation going...especially if it was a really high quality product.

Well, I still regularly see K340's in the forsale forum. They may not be in production, but finding a nice used pair is not that difficult anymore, especially with its overgrown popularity in recent years. As for its soundstage, well, I have never heard of the K701, but with my HD580 there is simply no contest. The HD580 sounds disjointed compared to the K340. The K340's have a very special airy and reverb-like sound signature. Some people may find it as acoustic artifact, but I see it as their ability to capture the recordings' acoustic space. It may be pretty awkward for some music, but for chamber music, I would say that it is perfectly tailored for that.

May 28, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 20
But breaking things down further, what kind of classical and source of recording? For example if it were a Beethoven symphony from a 1950's recording as opposed to a 2006 recording. Certain cans can interechange for best results possibly.

Or in the realm of chamber music. A Debussy piano etude or a Chopin piano nocturne for one set of cans and maybe a Beethoven string quartet for another set of headphones.
redface.gif

May 28, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 20
solo piano is not chamber music.

May 28, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Did Headroom or anyone like that ever do "before/after" charts going from stock cables to speciality cables? (That's a general question, not just confined to Senns.)

I know the charts aren't the first and last word on anything, but at least it's a reference point to launch off of.

The K340 can be rebuilt by AKG for a flat fee of $80, which includes brand new drivers and electrical work. The elastics can be easily replaced by the user, and the pads can be changed for comfy velour pads. Mine are actually on their way bay from AKG, so I'll report back, but you can at least electrically get a NOS K340 for the sale price + $80.

Regarding measurements, this is one of those areas where objective measurements start to show no changes whatsoever. I remember that Tyll mentioned they had measured cans before and after burn-in and found no difference in FR that wasn't within the error margin. I don't know if they looked at harmonic distortion, but if you look at how absolutely tiny the distortions are on higher end headphones, a small change here would likely be inaudible. As I believe in burn-in to some degree, it will be one of those great mysteries!

May 28, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan
solo piano is not chamber music.

I apologize. Let me rephrase that please.

Music in a chamber stetting.

May 28, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 20
I do like the HD600s sound better than the HD650s for classical. The addition of an aftermarket cable is debatable. It's a subtle change for some, but for others it is very nice. With the HD600s I think it is a given since the cable it comes with is pretty low end. I have heard that when the HD650s came out people were expecting Senn to make a nice cable with those and were very disappointed with the cable that came with them, although they are a slight upgrade on the HD600 cable. The cable upgrade for the Senns is just a small refinement to a very nice can, IMO, but it is a nice upgrade.

I have given the K340s consideration, but I have been scared off for a few reasons. First, I hear all the time that they can differ a lot sonically from one can to another. What might sound dynamite from one persons can, may sound like crappoli on my set, and that won't do. Second, like you said, I don't want a mangy old can from 1980 that was burned in with flock of seagulls or some other nasty, sweaty 80s band. I haven't really searched for a set or anything, maybe a ways down the road. I think I would need some higher end amps to drive those, wouldn't I?

Anyway, I am very pleased with what I have right now, a good combination of cans to suit all my needs, and the K701 is simply the icing on the cake for me. A very nice addition to my classical and jazz listening.
biggrin.gif

I will probably end up trying the Beyer dt880 at some point, but I am in a happy place right now. Until I get unhappy, or a deal I can't pass up comes along, I am stickin to my guns.

May 28, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 20
Well, right now there's a modded K340 in the FS forum. They look to be in quite good condition. The best part is of course that they are pre-modded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back