1964 Ears
Jun 2, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #2,462 of 7,417
I've been using my 1964-T a lot lately since my other custom is still on the way to Australia for a refit. I only use them with my J3 without any amp in between. They sound great to me. They sound better out of my headphone rig but I can't exactly take that with me on the go.

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #2,463 of 7,417
I've noticed with piano sounds, it sound like ringing or like echoing.  Resonance?  I have 1964-T customs and I hate when it happen, it messes up the music.  Poorly tuned?  If I fix this, it would be perfect, but I'm afraid I'm pretty disappointed because of that.

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #2,464 of 7,417
Look here.  Kunlun reviewed a dynamic custom with vent.  I wonder if it would create a wider soundstage like EX-1000.  I want Ex-1000 soundstage customs.  Am I asking for too much?

Quote:
I don't find the treble to have any of these issues for me. I actually really like the quality of the treble and not thin to me. Do you get that with all your gear? It could have something to do with synergy or it could be that we hear differently.

I have heard the HD650 on a couple of occasions and the 1964-T and HD650 are very different in sound signature. I wouldn't call the treble on the 1964-T rolled off at all. It does smooth out on top but the detail is definitely there. The term crap in, crap out does apply at this level of technical ability and I personally would not like a phone that hides details. As for sound stage do you mean forward progression like with the IE8 where it sounds like you are in the middle of a concert hall compared to say an e-Q7 where you are in the first few rows? If so the 1964-T will never be that large and I don't know a custom that will give you that. If you mean such as left, right middle and in between those areas I find the 1964-T to be pretty good for an earphone.

I have never heard the EX-1000 and probably never will but my assumption is that the large sound stage is similar to why the IE8 was large. The IE8 is not a closed earphone and achieves the best sound where it is loosely in your ear compared to as deep a seal as possible like many earphones are. I don't have enough experience with customs but I have not heard or read about a custom that will give you the forward progression of the IE8.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #2,465 of 7,417
Actually, I like the echo. I don't think it's necessarily poorly tuned. Some pianos are recorded in studios where the mics pick up on their natural echo. I think many IEMs where you don't hear any echo or reverb are unnatural. But as we always say, to each his or her own. Having listened to a lot of live music, and depending on the room, I know instruments like the piano and drums can have a lot of reverb and echo.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #2,466 of 7,417
@rawrster

How well does Audinst HUD-MX1 go with IEMs in general? And with 1964-T? I was considering getting one just for IEMs.  Is there any hiss?  The trips are very sensitive, and get hiss with every amp I own.  :frowning2:

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #2,468 of 7,417

Quote:
@rawrster

How well does Audinst HUD-MX1 go with IEMs in general? And with 1964-T? I was considering getting one just for IEMs.  Is there any hiss?  The trips are very sensitive, and get hiss with every amp I own.  :frowning2:

I use the Audinst with customs only. In the past I have used it with iem's. I have not noticed any noticeable hiss. I don't use the stock opamp however but rather the OPA627. I don't recall any hiss with the stock opamp either. The Audinst imo is a good and affordable unit for use with iem's for transportable with your laptop or netbook. It has a good dac and a surprisingly good amp. I tried it with my HD600 today and it does a pretty good job.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #2,469 of 7,417

Quote:
Actually, I like the echo. I don't think it's necessarily poorly tuned. Some pianos are recorded in studios where the mics pick up on their natural echo. I think many IEMs where you don't hear any echo or reverb are unnatural. But as we always say, to each his or her own. Having listened to a lot of live music, and depending on the room, I know instruments like the piano and drums can have a lot of reverb and echo.

Yessir!  x2  

Most poorly recorded instruments  IMO.  Piano and Violin/String sections.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #2,470 of 7,417
You guys know of any well recorded piano I can test my trips on?  I'm going to listen to classical pianos right now.  I like Goldberg variations.

Quote:
Yessir!  x2  

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #2,471 of 7,417
I get reverb on all pianos.  It's like a really horrible ringing sound.  It is def not from the recording, and def not natural.  It's actually caused inside my ear with the customs.   The custom are causing the reverb.  I have never heard this much reverb on IEMs before, it's unbearable.  With a custom IEM made of acrylic material, its unfortunate it cannot be dampened.  Full size have either dampening material or it is open to get rid of the reverb.  This is quite unfortunate....  I will have to call up 1964 about this...  This is not SQ.

Quote:
Yessir!  x2  

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #2,472 of 7,417
I get reverb on all pianos.  It's like a really horrible ringing sound.  It is def not from the recording, and def not natural.  It's actually caused inside my ear with the customs.   The custom are causing the reverb.  I have never heard this much reverb on IEMs before, it's unbearable.  With a custom IEM made of acrylic material, its unfortunate it cannot be dampened.  Full size have either dampening material or it is open to get rid of the reverb.  This is quite unfortunate....  I will have to call up 1964 about this...  This is not SQ.

You should probably contact 1964Ears, but it's possible that the triples are revealing to a greater level. I'm testing mine with two different versions of the Goldberg Variations - Dinnerstein and Gould 1955 and there's no reverb there past the natural of the pianos. The Dinnerstein sounds a little "hotter" but that's probably because it's a eMusic download with a crappy bitrate.

Listening to the same tracks with full-sized phones didn't show any huge differences wrt reverb.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #2,473 of 7,417
For those who might not have seen it, here is my link to what is coming up next from the good folks over at 1964 EARS. 
beerchug.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/556335/1964-ears-may-i-please-have-a-six-pack-to-go#post_7508326

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #2,474 of 7,417
I used the Quads with my iBasso D10's. They do hiss even at low gain, but a very minor hiss that you habituate to after a few minutes. I never got any hiss at low gain from my turbine pro golds or coppers. Maybe the Quads are that efficient.

Another problem though, is when I plug the Quads in directly to my Dell Studio 14 laptop. Dell somehow designed to have the hard drive right next to the headphone out port. Never heard anything abnormal when using my other phones (MTPC/MTPG, MEElec M6/M9, Senn HD595, Westone 3), but the quads actually pick up the hard drive's read/write sounds right through. Should it be that sensitive?

Quote:
I use the Audinst with customs only. In the past I have used it with iem's. I have not noticed any noticeable hiss. I don't use the stock opamp however but rather the OPA627. I don't recall any hiss with the stock opamp either. The Audinst imo is a good and affordable unit for use with iem's for transportable with your laptop or netbook. It has a good dac and a surprisingly good amp. I tried it with my HD600 today and it does a pretty good job.

Quote:
@rawrster

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #2,475 of 7,417
You must be picking EMI from hard drive nearby.  I've noticed alot of static on headphone out on laptops because laptop soundcard is part of the board, so it picks up anything nearby.  I would get a external usb card if it annoys you too much.  I would recommend creative 5.1, it does not hiss with my trips and I'm sure it will not pick up the EMI.  

Quote:
I used the Quads with my iBasso D10's. They do hiss even at low gain, but a very minor hiss that you habituate to after a few minutes. I never got any hiss at low gain from my turbine pro golds or coppers. Maybe the Quads are that efficient.

Another problem though, is when I plug the Quads in directly to my Dell Studio 14 laptop. Dell somehow designed to have the hard drive right next to the headphone out port. Never heard anything abnormal when using my other phones (MTPC/MTPG, MEElec M6/M9, Senn HD595, Westone 3), but the quads actually pick up the hard drive's read/write sounds right through. Should it be that sensitive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back