1964 EARS V6 Thread
Nov 18, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #331 of 931
V6 - Neutral dead with a touch of warmth.As Han Bao Quan sad,capable to reproduce bass with quality and quantity (well this is not helping me out to decide between the V6 and V3,oh Head-Fi!)

I don't think the V6 is dead neutral. It's certainly not colored, but if you think of neutral as a straight line, then the V-6 line would have a slightly curve to it.

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #332 of 931
Quote:
I don't think the V6 is dead neutral. It's certainly not colored, but if you think of neutral as a straight line, then the V-6 line would have a slightly curve to it.

Yeah,the term "dead" should be too much for the V6,sorry.
Quote:
Even those that own the 4a and have heard the 4ai prefer the custom. The 4a is not dead neutral. Just a silly statement. It can be close like the V3 and V6 can be close but in the critical midrange it appears to have a typical TWFK flavor and some hink it has a favorable warmth as well. Doesn't make it bad or good as many like that character but speaking in absolutes about dead neutral? nah.

May the term "dead" has caught a little too much consideration,it was just the best adjective i thought to detail those IEM's with no or very less coloration.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #333 of 931
Quote:
Long time lurker here at Head-Fi, but just got my v6's delivered so thought I'd post them up.

Originally planned to get a v3, but noting the 'fast' delivery time of my impressions (Australia to USA), the v6 was actually release in the interim. 

So as you do when given the opportunity, I went and forked over my additional $225, .

Since these are my first custom IEMs (up from a pair of GR07s), I can't give the best analysis in the world, but from my very initial impressions would say that the most stand-out difference is that everything just appears 'clearer'.

Using a fairly weak source atm, so whilst I'm not seeing the full power of the v6's, havta say that I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

Will let you know, if I start to actually learn the terms that reviewers use around here, and maybe post something up later on. 

Man, I wish my first post ever was about some six-driver customs!  I'm hoping your next posts is about how sorry you are for not posting impressions cause you've been enjoying your STAX 009. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #336 of 931
Quote:

Hi guys, just got my V6 for a little less than over a day.
Initial impressions are really impressive.
I'll check in after I've clocked more time on them plus burn in.

those are gorgeous!!

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #338 of 931
@anoxy: i could give you a brief rundown tho. I came from my previous set of 'customs', a pair of reshelled UE Super.Fi 5 EBs.

VS Remoulded 5EBs : They sound similar but with lesser bass (more controlled) better mids and highs. Overall frequencies have more extension and the sound staging is amazing. I swapped the cables to a Hippo OFC cables and they immediately open up more (probably due to cable burn in, I've been using that cable since my old remoulded EBs).

VS E5Cs : I compared them to my old Shures E5Cs and the V6s has a warmer sound. The E5Cs sound more sterile and less engaging, sometimes to the point of being too shrill. V6s are more musical in a sense.

I would say it reminded me of my home rig, which is a DIY Cavalli Bijou Futterman -> HD600, the rig that I built to my own preference.

P.S all impressions were through an iPhone5, its not a quality portable source, but that's all I have for my portable rig. YMMV.

Physical impressions
Color is really spot on, the previous picture doesn't capture the color that well. Build quality is a full 5/5.
I tried to take another pic of the beautiful wine red. Still doesn't do justice to it.
Edit: Fit is spot on the 1st time.

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #340 of 931
Quote:
I would say it reminded me of my home rig, which is a DIY Cavalli Bijou Futterman -> HD600, the rig that I built to my own preference.

I was expecting some sort of similarities,maybe..
Even thought they are obviously different products,could you tell the difference with the HD600 in the bass department?i have an HD650.
Btw congratulation ,enjoy it!

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #342 of 931
I find myself craving a bit more bass and color sometimes on my HD600. So you'd say the V6 are a bit warmer and musical?

Based on the impressions I've read, the Heir 8.A are the sound I'm going for, but their ordering process and price is a little out of my range. It's between these 1964 V6 and the Aurisonics AS-2 right now. The AS-2 is a slight turn-off for me because they have little to no customization options though.

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #343 of 931
I can give a brief first impression since I've not had time to listen extensively. I must be very clear to ensure that you understand that I am not an audiophile or experienced in IEM comparisons. I can only offer a novice perspective based on what my untrained ears perceive. I have spent time over the last month or two, finding songs that I'm familiar with that accentuate the audio spectrum enough to provide a canvas to compare. Please take my review for what it is when considering these IEM's. Don't hate me....
basshead.gif

Listening to the V6's I was first feeling like the whole sound spectrum was subdued and somewhat sterile. This could be because I may prefer a different sound profile. I listened to them at varying volumes on different songs to allow myself to acclimate to them. There is no denying that they are very articulate and provide a very wide sound scape covering the highs very crisply with lows that are present without being dominant. It was all just very uninspiring and left me seeking 'something'... I kept resisting the urge to EQ them.

Once I thought that I had a feel for them, I switched to the Quads.

The Quads instantly opened up with a much more natural presentation where the mids suddenly felt much more alive and the bass covered the lows with a body and punch that excited the music. They were very much 'alive' while the V6's felt dead. I was not expecting that at all. I then started to pull songs that would force the highs, mids and lows to display focus so I could track the differences. The subs on the Quads were much more upfront and carried the sustained lows when songs presented them. The V6's had the notes, but much more recessed. I found this consistent across the entire spectrum. Cranking them up didn't help.

It seemed as though I was always wanting the V6's to have more presence. I finally EQ'd them and found myself pushing them up around 2db in the 60Hz and 2300Hz range to give them more life. When I went to EQ the quads, I only rolled off the top and bottom just a hair. Nothing really noticeable, just a mild taper.

So my initial conclusions are that the V6's (in comparison to the Quads) lack a presence that gives the music 'life', they feel sterile and greatly subdued across the entire sound spectrum. The Quads feel much more natural and make the music exciting, while adding a bottom end that is deep and full and maybe just a hair 'bassy', but never overwhelming.

I have a small bit of regret sending the V3's back because I'd love to be able to compare them to the V6's. I have to go with my previous opinion where I preferred the Quads over the V3's. I'll post a more detailed review once I have had time to listen at length.

Here's some pics of the V6 Demo's.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #344 of 931
Thanks for the impressions Mongo. Finally, something to ease my trigger finger a bit. It sounds like we both crave a similar sound signature if you prefer the Q. I think I might have to cross off the V6 from my list if what you described is indeed the case. However, I'm also wondering if you're getting an adequate seal on the V6 considering they are not the actual custom version? Have you tried different tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back