1964 EARS V6 Thread
Nov 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #271 of 931
Quote:
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I didn't see a welcome thread so I posted a hello in the Misc forum.

I found this forum a few months ago during my research into my first set of custom IEM's. I cut my teeth over the years on several poor ear buds, then some Shure E2's and E3's. I discovered the 'Multi-IEM Review - 263 IEMs compared' thread first and consumed it like a thirsty man in the desert. This led me to the 1964ears threads which grabbed my attention. I've been reading through the '1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread)' and I'm about 1106 posts into it (Jan/2011). Haven't reached Eric's official Quad review yet... Loving all the insights for sure!

I ordered demo's of the 1964 Duals, V3 & Quads which I've been enjoying for several weeks. I play in two bands and have had ample time to compare them in multiple venue's via Aviom, as well as in my iPhone 5. The V3 & Quads are VERY nice, with me leaning towards the Quads more. Then the V6 is announced... <insert panicked wallet image>. I've really spent more time than is probably healthy pondering color and artwork choices. These will be my first customs and I really want them to be something I'll love to look at as much as listen to.

I just wanted to say hello and let you all know how much you've helped me to understand what my ears have been hearing all these years. Terms like sound stage, analytical, sound signature, recessed, articulated, etc... are now a proper part of my audio vocabulary. 
ksc75smile.gif

I'm looking forward to your comparisons on the V6's. I'm going to use them for live work more than personal listening and need to be sure they are not fatigueing and are well suited for live use. I may need to see about a V6 demo before I return the quads...

Thanks again for a great forum!

Don (AKA Mongo)

You.. ordered demo's? Can you teach me how to do this >:O.

They have demo's? O.o

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #272 of 931
Thanks for the post Mongo - glad we could help steer you in the right direction!

If you have a sec, could you post your thoughts about the differences you hear between V3 and Quads? It's kind of a given that the Quads have even more bass, which may go deeper too, but aside from that we don't know how they compare. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #273 of 931
It was easy. I just called them up and asked if they had demos to compare before deciding. I had to wait while they made some up. I paid a deposit of ($650), not to bad considering they were effectively sending me a universal version of the Dual, V3 & Quad ($1275 street price). They came with hardware for each, all in a single large case. I'll be sending them back this week.

I wrote a brief bit about it on my FB page, with pics.

This link may not work:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=pcb.364582336958043&type=1

The forum doesn't seem to allow me to attach a pic.

Mongo

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #274 of 931
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I didn't see a welcome thread so I posted a hello in the Misc forum.

I found this forum a few months ago during my research into my first set of custom IEM's. I cut my teeth over the years on several poor ear buds, then some Shure E2's and E3's. I discovered the 'Multi-IEM Review - 263 IEMs compared' thread first and consumed it like a thirsty man in the desert. This led me to the 1964ears threads which grabbed my attention. I've been reading through the '1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread)' and I'm about 1106 posts into it (Jan/2011). Haven't reached Eric's official Quad review yet... Loving all the insights for sure!

I ordered demo's of the 1964 Duals, V3 & Quads which I've been enjoying for several weeks. I play in two bands and have had ample time to compare them in multiple venue's via Aviom, as well as in my iPhone 5. The V3 & Quads are VERY nice, with me leaning towards the Quads more. Then the V6 is announced... <insert panicked wallet image>. I've really spent more time than is probably healthy pondering color and artwork choices. These will be my first customs and I really want them to be something I'll love to look at as much as listen to.

I just wanted to say hello and let you all know how much you've helped me to understand what my ears have been hearing all these years. Terms like sound stage, analytical, sound signature, recessed, articulated, etc... are now a proper part of my audio vocabulary. 
ksc75smile.gif

I'm looking forward to your comparisons on the V6's. I'm going to use them for live work more than personal listening and need to be sure they are not fatigueing and are well suited for live use. I may need to see about a V6 demo before I return the quads...

Thanks again for a great forum!

Don (AKA Mongo)

Welcome Mongo!!

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #275 of 931
Sure... Without having a quality amp or super high quality MP3's, my review is not going to be anything like what others are able to articulate, but I can give you my impressions of each. Granted, this is my first exposure to a quality IEM.

The Duals were far and above better than my Shure E2's and E3's. It was like cotton got pulled from my ears. I was in heaven. At least a better heaven than I knew before. I listened to them for 30-45 minutes, selecting songs that allowed them to breathe and accentuate the harmonic nuances that I had never noticed before. It was interesting to hear new things in songs I thought I knew.

After acclimating to them, I went back to my E3's and confirmed that they were indeed lacking the wider frequency definition that I was now listening for. I then decided it was time for the V3's. I once again experienced heaven in my ears. This was a significant jump. I was suddenly hearing reflections on the decay of ambient reverb that was clearly farther away and crisply defined. I could now hear the fingers hitting the strings on bass line passages that were previously just note runs. I could hear a drum stick tip slide on a ride cymbal where before it just was a crisp hit. I spent probably an hour acclimating to these, focusing on specific sections of music to hear deeper. It was a great experience as my perceptions were redefined with each song.

I went back to the Duals and noticed the loss of the extended details. They still sounded great, but you could tell that there was a compromise in fewer drivers having to cover more of the music. Going back to the V3's again secured my observation.

I then decided to give the Quads a listen. By this point I had specific music to compare and was attuned to what I thought I would hear. Well the Quads were not as large a jump from the V3's, but definitely excelled on the lower frequencies. I could tell the definition of the bass and sub notes had more character and were more present. Not louder, just more focused. It could go lower, without losing the punch of the lower mids and bass. It just felt fuller. I LIKED it a lot!

I used them around three hours a day commuting on the train. I went a week each, going between the Triples and Quads. I used them each weekend live switching each week with my drummer. We both preferred the Quads, but have to say the Triples were not lacking at all. The Quads just allowed the kick drum and bass to just have more thickness and body to the notes. I never felt any fatigue with them and can only imagine how they will sound once they are delivering the sound directly into the ear drum canal with CIEM isolation.

I'm now curious about the V6's. Is the 'audiophile' sound signature going to work live. Is the added cost worth the difference?

Will I ever be able to listen to music again on anything less.....   
L3000.gif

Mongo

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #276 of 931
So Mongo,do you prefer the Quads compared to the V3 in general ,or you think the Quads are better for bass music and/or for those who want to have drums (i am an ex-amateurish drummer) a little more pronounced respect convencional recordings and the V3 being more neutral compared to the Quads?

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #277 of 931
I preferred the Quads overall. They were pretty close on most aspects from the low mids and up. They just had more support on the low end. I did notice they all shined more when I pushed them so there may be a lot I'm missing not having a good amp. I don't think anyone can go wrong with either the V3 or Quad.

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #278 of 931
Sorry to take your time here,Mongo.So in your opinion the Quads are just an upgrade from the V3 in terms of sound characteristic?As you say,the Quads have a little more pronounced bass but retaining the same clarity.

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #279 of 931
Sorry to take your time here,Mongo.So in your opinion the Quads are just an upgrade from the V3 in terms of sound characteristic?As you say,the Quads have a little more pronounced bass but retaining the same clarity.

No problem. That was my impression, but please remember that this is my first step into the custom IEM pool and I'm still developing the ability to discern the nuances that set them apart.

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #280 of 931
No worries,fair enough.I do try to collect as many impressions and opinions about products i cannot try for myself here where i live,as they are the principal references i have when choosing to purchase some product,especially audio related.at the moment the Custom IEM's that suit my sounding preferences are the V3 ,the Quads and the 8.A.

Best
Antonio

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #281 of 931
Antonio,

I actually feel the same way. I cut my teeth (or ears...) on the reviews of the folks here. So many great posts. This site is an invaluable resource filled with descriptive comparisons. It was here that I found the depth of the world of IEM's and also 1964Ears. I'll be shipping back my Duals and V3's and will have the arduous task of resisting the V6's as I compare them to the Quads.

I know from the 30+ years of playing guitar that it's always best to buy the best gear you can afford (if it is truly what you need) rather than compromise and wish you had. I still have my first 'real' guitars from the late 70's (Ibanez ST-100, Yamaha classical), my first real amp from the 90's (Mesa Boogie MKIVa)... I definitely understand the temptation to buy lots of stuff created by access to knowledge like this. I joined the Ibanez Collectors World forum and have amassed a gorgeous collection of amazingly high quality guitars. I joined the Mesa Boogie forum and now have multiple pro rigs which I love. I may spend a year deciding on a purchase, then another year looking for the right one. You can say I've struck a healthy balance between patience and procurement.

It was earlier this year when I joined my second band that I started to have the demand (and financial resources) to consider the need to upgrade my IEM's. I'm so happy with the universal versions of the 1964's that I can only imagine what it will be like when I have the custom fitted ones. I just have to resist looking at amps and DAC's and all the other stuff (sunshine cables, etc....) 
popcorn.gif

Mongo

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #282 of 931
Quote:
Antonio,

I actually feel the same way. I cut my teeth (or ears...) on the reviews of the folks here. So many great posts. This site is an invaluable resource filled with descriptive comparisons. It was here that I found the depth of the world of IEM's and also 1964Ears. I'll be shipping back my Duals and V3's and will have the arduous task of resisting the V6's as I compare them to the Quads.

I know from the 30+ years of playing guitar that it's always best to buy the best gear you can afford (if it is truly what you need) rather than compromise and wish you had. I still have my first 'real' guitars from the late 70's (Ibanez ST-100, Yamaha classical), my first real amp from the 90's (Mesa Boogie MKIVa)... I definitely understand the temptation to buy lots of stuff created by access to knowledge like this. I joined the Ibanez Collectors World forum and have amassed a gorgeous collection of amazingly high quality guitars. I joined the Mesa Boogie forum and now have multiple pro rigs which I love. I may spend a year deciding on a purchase, then another year looking for the right one. You can say I've struck a healthy balance between patience and procurement.

It was earlier this year when I joined my second band that I started to have the demand (and financial resources) to consider the need to upgrade my IEM's. I'm so happy with the universal versions of the 1964's that I can only imagine what it will be like when I have the custom fitted ones. I just have to resist looking at amps and DAC's and all the other stuff (sunshine cables, etc....) 
popcorn.gif

Mongo

I enjoy reading your posts!  Please post more when you get the completed customs!!

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #283 of 931
Nice post Mongo,as soon as you get your customs let us know what do you think about them,especially with your own music.In the mean time i am eating cup noodle until i have some money to buy a pair of V3...  :)

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #284 of 931
Quote:
I enjoy reading your posts!  Please post more when you get the completed customs!!

Quote:
Nice post Mongo,as soon as you get your customs let us know what do you think about them,especially with your own music.In the mean time i am eating cup noodle until i have some money to buy a pair of V3...  :)

Will do. I already have my impressions (sitting here in a box) and am trying to decide on an artwork direction. I'm probably going to go with full color artwork of a custom logo on an image of wood. That gives me different wood options to play with. I even tossed the idea around of taking a picture of my ear and using that as the image. That way it looks like they are not there... bizarre, but funny...

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #285 of 931

Users who are viewing this thread

Back