1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Dec 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #632 of 9,124
V8 is very nice. You should be a happy camper!

I gave in and backed the U8, as well.

Shhh, don't tell my wife...

beerchug.gif

If she asks me, I don't know if I can contain myself. I'm terrible with secrets

Wait, why would your wife talk to me anyway? 
blink.gif

it's a joke mate, please don't get all serious

EDIT: As for pledges, I'm honestly surprised that they've raised over another 50% towards the next stretch goal. What I think backers need to do though is ask for an upgraded cable if you don't want the one with the mic. The render that they showed for the cable w/ mic looks extremely cheap and gimmicky and I'd be mad if that's the one they're including with the IEMs. Hope they put some better options out there for backers.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #634 of 9,124
I forgot who was asking for the patent page, but this is a much more detailed version

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=8737635.PN.&OS=PN/8737635&RS=PN/8737635

OR

http://www.google.com/patents/US20130188801

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #636 of 9,124
Looks like universals of the A10 and A12 are really not available despite what the customer service from 1964 said. So I'm out.

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #638 of 9,124
U8 for me, but still deciding whether to change to the U6 or not :D

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #640 of 9,124
I forgot who was asking for the patent page, but this is a much more detailed version

http://www.google.com/patents/US20130188801

Ah, that was me. Thanks for posting that. I'll read through it later today, as with the two papers that were cited on the 1964/Adel poster presentation.

As for 1964 Ears' lineup, I'm still not sure which one to back, if any.
From a previous meet, I posted:
I took the opportunity to listen to the 1964 Ears custom in-ear monitors while others were still getting setup. This was the first time I had ever tried putting CIEMs in my ear, so I was pretty excited to finally try a pair. During the whole meet, I was using a pair of Comply foam tips and I managed to get a good seal and fit with all of the CIEMs I tried. Of the 1964 Ears lineup, I only tried the V6 Stage and V8 CIEMs, but of the two, I greatly preferred the V6 Stage. If you know what the V-MODA Crossfade M-100 sounds like, the V6 Stage has a similar sound signature (deep, elevated bass response, laid-back midrange, sparkly treble with a slight treble roll-off). The V6 Stage does sound more refined overall though with a more coherent sound, more texture and detail retrieval, and a much more spacious soundstage (hence why it has Stage in its name). Although I usually like V8 beverages, I didn't like the V8 CIEM all that much. The bass seemed really bloated, the midrange recessed, and less sparkle in the highs compared to the V6 Stage.

And someone else posted:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/728310/7-26-14-seattle-redhook-meet-impressions/15#post_10749946

So far, the V6 Stage, or the U6 for this campaign, are what I would most be interested in for the lineup, but I kind of don't want a V-MODA M-100 sound for an in-ear monitor and would much prefer a more neutral, true to the sound sound signature, which is why I asked about the AMB-4 vs U4 earlier. From that user's impression of the Quads though (U4 in this case), it sounds like something I wouldn't like either since I'm really sensitive to bright sounds and treble spikes at 9-10 kHz, which the V6 Stage had, like the M-100.

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #642 of 9,124
  http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-review-1964ears-1964-adel-a12/

Brilliant!
Thanks for the share and find!

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #643 of 9,124
Well, looks like they got something out to a well-respected reviewer, and he really, really likes the A12. I wish they would've sent U6 or U8 for a comparative review with V6S and V8, though...

The Sound

1964EARS 1964 ADEL A12
Base Price: $1999 | Manufacturer’s page
SQ score range: 9.9-10 (final score still TBD)

As mentioned above, the unit I have here is a beta test sample. From what I understand, the configuration of the A12 earphone itself is final whereas the ADEL modules might still undergo some revision. The purpose of this post is not to verify the science behind the technology – I have neither the background nor a particularly strong interest in doing that. As usual, I will leave discussing the science and tech to those more well-versed than I. All I care about is the end result – i.e. the sound – so what I wanted to do was compare the A12 with the ADEL technology to a couple of the other high-end custom IEMs in my possession.
The source used in my listening is primarily an OPPO HA-1, a full-size DAC/amp with surprisingly low output impedance at the headphone jack.

First a general note on the sound – the A12 can be characterized as a smooth and neutral earphone with a very slight perceived warm tilt. I actually found it to be spot-on neutral for my own preference, falling in the midst of all of my other “neutral” in-ears. Coincidentally, taking out the ADEL modules and sealing the holes where they used to be increases bass quantity, but also introduces some bass “boom”. I can see a sealed A12 appealing to some people and it will go toe-to-toe with some of the warmer custom IEMs out there, such as the Westone ES5 and Heir Audio 8.A.
The general sound performance of the A12 has a couple of notable strengths, the first being balance across the spectrum and a very natural tonal character all around. Another is smoothness – I’m not among those who are greatly bothered by mild treble unevenness, but it’s something I do notice. The A12 has none that I’ve heard so far, easily beating my 1964 V3 and V6-Stage in that regard. The final one is the presentation, which is nice and airy – more so than any of the sets I’ve managed to round up for comparisons so far.

The ADEL module of the A12 is removable – it can be extracted quite easily by pulling on the knob. It is small – less than 5mm in diameter and about 8mm long with the knob. Removing it leaves a gaping hole in the housings and also doesn’t do the sound any favors, completely dropping out the low end as expected with an unsealed balanced armature IEM.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #644 of 9,124
  http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-review-1964ears-1964-adel-a12/

So I don't want to sound ungrateful, but that review isn't very helpful.  1964Ears is promising a revolution with the ADEL tech and ljokerl didn't even attempt to quantify how the ADEL changed the sound.  Instead we got, "Removing it leaves a gaping hole in the housings and also doesn’t do the sound any favors, completely dropping out the low end as expected with an unsealed balanced armature IEM." & "Coincidentally, taking out the ADEL modules and sealing the holes where they used to be increases bass quantity, but also introduces some bass “boom”. I can see a sealed A12 appealing to some people and it will go toe-to-toe with some of the warmer custom IEMs out there, such as the Westone ES5 and Heir Audio 8.A."

Did the soundstage improve dramatically as 1964Ears claims as the ADEL "vent" was gradually opened?  How did the sound change as the ADEL screw was backed off?  Did the low end start to roll off?  How did the isolation suffer?  How open were they when he listened to them?

Frankly, I would have expected more comments about the incredible soundstage if the ADEL tech delivered on the claims.  Perhaps I'm just missing the revolution.
confused.gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #645 of 9,124
So I don't want to sound ungrateful, but that review isn't very helpful.  1964Ears is promising a revolution with the ADEL tech and ljokerl didn't even attempt to quantify how the ADEL changed the sound.  Instead we got, "Removing it leaves a gaping hole in the housings and also doesn’t do the sound any favors, completely dropping out the low end as expected with an unsealed balanced armature IEM." & "Coincidentally, taking out the ADEL modules and sealing the holes where they used to be increases bass quantity, but also introduces some bass “boom”. I can see a sealed A12 appealing to some people and it will go toe-to-toe with some of the warmer custom IEMs out there, such as the Westone ES5 and Heir Audio 8.A."

Did the soundstage improve dramatically as 1964Ears claims as the ADEL "vent" was gradually opened?  How did the sound change as the ADEL screw was backed off?  Did the low end start to roll off?  How did the isolation suffer?  How open were they when he listened to them?

Frankly, I would have expected more comments about the incredible soundstage if the ADEL tech delivered on the claims.  Perhaps I'm just missing the revolution. :confused:  

It's only a brief review. Given the short time he has with it, and the dateline for the campaign in just 12 hours you can't really fault him for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back