1964 Ears Adel IEMs
Sep 1, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #6,286 of 9,124
Thanks Chris and Vidal

That makes a lot of sense.  I guess you guys almost need two product lines - one for your stage musicians and one for the audio enthusiasts.  I'll play around with the adaptors and report back.

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #6,287 of 9,124
Can anyone comment on the noise isolation between the B1 and S1 modules?

I'm coming from the ER4XR world which is awesome given its -35-42 dB of isolation, but it's too isolating for my everyday use, e.g., I can't have a conversation with the IEMs in when the audio is off. The B1 sounds much more my style vs the S1 in terms of sound, but I worry -10 dB of isolation isn't enough for real world scenarios of subways, buses, offices, etc. where I'd be using the U10s if I bought them. 

Sep 1, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #6,288 of 9,124
Could anyone tell me which color are MAMs? On the Asius web it seems that they are black, but I've seen pictures in which they are silver.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #6,289 of 9,124
My MAMs are silver.  The black ones are the B1s

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #6,290 of 9,124
B1 is an excellent module, if you don't want to spend 200, I suggest it.

Thanks, I might check that one out. Is there any good reason to own both B1 and MAM? Or MAM can replicate what B1 sounds like?

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #6,291 of 9,124
Hello again everybody,

I would like to address something that maybe at times overlooked by some listeners. I am referring in this case to output impedance. It is extremely important that when choosing an iem one chooses the proper device to drive said unit. Output impedance of an amp, dac, or phone plays a big role on frequency response. Choosing the proper amp can make the difference of loving or hating the sound signature you end up hearing.

For those who say the A/U12 is very "veiled" and lacks detail with the S1 module I can with certainty say that you are probably listening to your A/U12's through a very low output impedance source. In the case of the A/U12 this gives more bottom end, higher low mids, and slightly dipped out high mids/highs. Remember though this depends on the design and tuning of the iem... believe it or not some iems behave the opposite way around when being driven with higher and lower output impedance sources. The A/U12 inherent design is such that mating them with a higher output impedance will give the proper "reference" frequency response. They will no longer be so bass heavy and have a much more transparent top end.

I would like to point out that some people prefer a darker and bass heavy sound... which can be very appealing with certain content as well as not fatiguing when listening at loud volumes. A CHORD Mojo would be a perfect amp/dac for those who enjoy that type of sound and own some A/U12's. Some people prefer a flatter "reference" sound signature... one that has more transparent high mids and highs and maybe not so much inflation in the low mids and mid bass. A higher output impedance amp/dac would achieve such results for those listeners.

I believe its very possible that many of you that say the A/U12's sound "veiled" and that the B1 module fixes the veiling issue are using a low output impedance amp/dac and are over compensating with a B1 module to bring down the bass and low mids. Thus balancing out the inherent response of the A/U12's through a low output impedance amp. For those who believe the A/U12 sounds "veiled" with the S1 module simply changing over to a source with a high output impedance will give you the desired sound signature... all without swapping modules.

Here is a comparison of the U12 through two different output sources. One with a low output impedance (CHORD Mojo). And one with a higher output impedance (USBPre 2). Notice the seesaw effect between switching from one source to the other. Forgive me if I sound redundant at times I just wanted to explain the effects of output impedance for everyone to understand. I hope this helps you guys achieve the sound signatures you search for :wink:

EDIT: I apologize, in the image it says the USBPre 2 is 30 ohm output impedance... It's actually 22 ohm. Excuse me for this minor mistake.

That is very interesting. I personally might liked the darker sound signature, but we'll see. Too bad all of my dedicated source seems to be on low output impendance.

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #6,292 of 9,124
  So the high impedance match is only for the U12 and U10 is fine with our low impedance output amps?

bflat,

I am also looking forward to some feedback here as the MD pricing on the U10 w/B1 was too tempting.

I will be primarily using it w/a DF Black 1.5 on my pc or laptop for gaming/music/training.

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #6,293 of 9,124
is there a big difference between the 16 and U10 ? Thks for your help. I really like the sound of my A6 but if the U10 is better, I may buy one on the Massdrop

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #6,294 of 9,124
I'm glad that U10 is getting some attention now. U10 should be better than the U6 in terms of technical aspects like imaging, separation, layering, resolution, transparency and timbre.

As for the differences in tuning, it will just come down to your preferences.

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #6,295 of 9,124
now why did i ever login to MD today!!! now i'm poisoned
eek.gif

i would ask for your recommendations - i'm not a bass head but prefer a clean, linear, mid loving SQ. as per the 64 Audio website, the U3 would be the best for me - but that's not being offered in MD. which of the line-up do you recommend?

I'm new to this ADEL tech, reading most of the thread but it looks like if i want better soundstage, go for the B1 - but in the expense of isolation...is this accurate enough? a lot of module options to ready up...

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #6,296 of 9,124
karloil,

I read Twisters review on the U6  ( http://www.head-fi.org/products/64-audio-1964-ears-adel-u6/reviews/15984  ) and it seems like a great option w/balanced treb-mid-bass 2x2x2 drivers but the MD drop only has the S1 version, so add the price of whatever module u want on top of that. It's a tough call w/the other B1 options on MD being the U2 and U4SE, but I recommend you act soon--at least the modules are available for this discontinued IEM.

Based on what I have read so far, the lower end of these non-custom 64 audio / Adel products would have a lot of competition for your dollar in terms of value, but the discounting on the higher end of the line w/the 6, 8 or 10 individual drivers is where members seem to be focused.

I have honestly never spent this much on an IEM--for the money I spent on the U10--I could buy a set of 800s which I know I would love, but wouldn't cut it at work.

good luck.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #6,298 of 9,124
now why did i ever login to MD today!!! now i'm poisoned :eek:

i would ask for your recommendations - i'm not a bass head but prefer a clean, linear, mid loving SQ. as per the 64 Audio website, the U3 would be the best for me - but that's not being offered in MD. which of the line-up do you recommend?

I'm new to this ADEL tech, reading most of the thread but it looks like if i want better soundstage, go for the B1 - but in the expense of isolation...is this accurate enough? a lot of module options to ready up...

Accurate.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #6,299 of 9,124
Thanks, I might check that one out. Is there any good reason to own both B1 and MAM? Or MAM can replicate what B1 sounds like?

IMO the six vent holes and the sliding basket make MAM sound different and while it can get close to B1/S1/G1, i do not believe it can replicate them exactly-especially G1.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #6,300 of 9,124
Can anyone comment on the noise isolation between the B1 and S1 modules?

I'm coming from the ER4XR world which is awesome given its -35-42 dB of isolation, but it's too isolating for my everyday use, e.g., I can't have a conversation with the IEMs in when the audio is off. The B1 sounds much more my style vs the S1 in terms of sound, but I worry -10 dB of isolation isn't enough for real world scenarios of subways, buses, offices, etc. where I'd be using the U10s if I bought them. 

S1 has quite a bit more isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back