$150-$250 help finding good all rounders,
Feb 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jam3s121

100+ Head-Fier
I know theres a thread but I felt like what I was going to be posting was very long and I keep getting the same reponses that I don't feel are what I'm looking for.

I currently own AD700s, with a titanium HD sound card. Main listening will be at home on my pc, but I am not opposted to buying a fiio usb dac/amp to replace the titanium hd for better set ups. I really like the ad700s when I listen to music with a emphasis on vocals it the vocals sound amazing, but for instance in this particular vocal trance song, the bass (thumping) feels waay to relaxed on ad700's which I know is because its a open headphone that is made primarily for its great sound stage. I also deseparely need CLOSED headphones for sound isolation, which makes it harder to find something with a more natural sound it seems... everything I look up in reviews either says bad highs, recessed mids, too much bass etc and I'm no audiophile so I'm afraid to jump the gun, I can tell difference between high and low quality music and most of my music I download from beatport in

Same goes with this song, I don't feel enough bass with my ad700's but the vocals sound GREAT.

The majority of what I listen to is considered edm, mainly house, progressive house, dnb, trap, dubstep.. I want to get more bass out of what I'm listening too without sacrificing mids if I can.

this song i love, but completely lacks any bass on my ad700s

What I've been considering
DT 770's not sure how crazy i am about recessed mids, i want to be able to hear everything, not bass over everything
Pro 550s or 750s
ATH A900X
lp1, lp2, m80

I'd really appreciate any input!

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the input, I actually just found them looking on the recommended headphone thread, while a little pricey they seem to be what I'm after... more bass but still doesn't downplay everything else for the sake of bass.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 19
a900x would be one of my top picks. Also if you want a very neutral nice sounding closed headphone I would suggest the brainwavz hm5 or equivalent. Seems a number of companies are putting their name on the headphone design. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 19
The lp2 will have a lot of bass, and with a lot of bass, you'll have to sacrifice the mids, so those are not for you. However the M80 has much less bass, very close to neutral if you ask me. I own the DJ1 Pro which is basically the PRO550 last ime I checked, and those are pretty much neutral as well. The DT770 has a nice emphasise in the low end, but not so much it bleeds into the mids, so they're a good choice too. 

I haven't heard the A900X (well, I did, but not for long) or the PRO750. However I have heard the PRO900 and people say the PRO750 sounds like it. The PRO900 definitely has recessed mids to me but take that with a bucket of salt.

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 19
anything known about these| http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-HSR-1000-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B006Y2BI04/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360965743&sr=8-1&keywords=gemini+hsr+1000

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 19

SoundMAGIC HP100's are the best sounding closed headphones I've heard for under $300.

(Feel free to check out my Profile for others I've had)

Some other opinions:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp100-premium-over-the-ear-folding-headphones-black/reviews
http://www.trustedreviews.com/soundmagic-hp100_Headphones_review
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/headphone-reviews/1778-soundmagic-hp100-stereo-headphone-full-review.html

Amazon has them for $199 at present.

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
do you have any idea how much more bass I would notice in the soundmagics vs my ad700s?

From memory, since I had the AD700's quite a while ago,
I think the difference would not be that big.  The Soundmagics
do have more bass, but it doesn't hit you over the head (or in the ears)...
It's mostly low register bass as opposed to midbass.

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 19
How about the DT990 ?

I have owned the DT770 PRO-80 and I listen to trance(with many other genres).

I ended up returning the DT770 PRO80 because  they distort at high volumes.

I also bought the TItanium HD when I bought the DT770 and the Creative Sound Blaster Z and in both sound cards they distort on high volumes  on VOCALS and BASS

I returned the Titanium HD and kept the Creative Sound Blaster Z because of the AMP.

Even though others say that they don't distort but in my case they did (even the DT770 that I exachaned distorted too!).

So I returned it and bought the DT990 PRO-250 from Amazon( same price as the DT770 PRO-80).

what happend is that when I listened to it out of the box I didnt like it at all I even wanted to return it but then I gave it another try and OMG... a little bass boost in the EQ and BAM they sound better than the DT770 with better SOUNDSTAGE and same bass and guess what ?  THEY DONT DISTORT AT ALL !

so I decided to keep them because they simply rock !

NOTE: if you get the DT990 dont use THX crystalizer as the DT990 already have high highs so just disable it and go to the EQ and boost the bass a little just like what I did here:

I am not professional nor an audiophile but I just wanted to share my opinion hoping it may help.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back