1212m a worthwhile upgrade?
Oct 24, 2004 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

refault

100+ Head-Fier
Is the EWX 24/96 holding anything back in my system? Will I notice any improvement from stepping up to the 1212m? Is the EWX 24/96 a good card overall and does it sound good compared to its competition?

Oct 24, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 8
I cant really answer that, but I am happy with my EWX 2496 which I think gives excellent results. I am tempted to try an EMU, but for what its worth I dont think the difference will be anywhere near as big as people say on this forum, and it'll probably be a different sound. For example, I've heard people say the EMU lacks bass, a problem the EWX does not have at all. Its a fair amount of money to spend on a card if it does not offer a significant [or perhaps even any] improvement.

Also, it does seem to be an automatic suggestion to go for the EMU on this forum, and as such could be described as a flavour. I'm sure the EMU fanboys will be along shortly though to offer their opinions, but its your call.

Oct 24, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 8
EMU doesnt lack bass,where did you read that?EMU's sound is detailed and smooth,but quite cold and analytical.

Oct 24, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
EMU doesnt lack bass,where did you read that?EMU's sound is detailed and smooth,but quite cold and analytical.

Are you talking about E-MUs in general or only about the 1212m? B/c I though I'd read that such a description wouldn't fit the 0404.

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Are you talking about E-MUs in general or only about the 1212m? B/c I though I'd read that such a description wouldn't fit the 0404.

Yeah,sorry,0404 uses another DAC and probably is more warm.

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 8
I have not personally heard the EWX, but judging from cards of similar build I have heard (M-Audio Audiophile, Delta 410), the 1212M should be an upgrade, how significant of one can be left to each individual. If you have $200 or so burning a hole in your pocket, then give it a try. It may not be the exact flavor of sound you are looking for, but it certainly won't disappoint in the quality realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back