110V vs. 220V - Any effekt on the SQ
Oct 22, 2012 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Loevhagen

1000+ Head-Fier
Just out of curiosity; why is it - or why is it not - that 110V and 220V affects the SQ in a head-fi rig (DAC / amp)?

E.g. would a Schiitrig sound (excactly) the same if you used in US or Sweden?

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Just out of curiosity; why is it - or why is it not - that 110V and 220V affects the SQ in a head-fi rig (DAC / amp)?

E.g. would a Schiitrig sound (excactly) the same if you used in US or Sweden?

The input is just a power source.

A clean power source will sound the same anywhere.

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 8
OK. Thanks for swift replies. I just had to get that Q out of my system. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 8
Your question will sound like a personal challenge to audiophiles. They are quite good at inventing ridiculous reasons for audio improvements (they do it all the time with cables).

Feb 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 8
this question is common amongst us old tube guitar amp users and we've come to the conclusion that it's not the 220/120 that makes the sound different but the 50/60 cycle. I've tried step up converters and didn't hear a difference because it was still 60...but lots of folks who have toured worldwide have found a definite difference with a tube guitar amp and could be why so many british rock bands have a slightly sweeter midrange on their recordings

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 8
These devices include voltage regulators are part of their power supplies, by necessity.  The can't work without them.  The way a voltage regulator works is, once the input voltage exceeds the output voltage by a certain margin, the regulator is able to clamp the output voltage firmly to a specified voltage.  The input may swing around above that threshold, but the output never changes. The second input voltage threshold is the maximum rated input voltage.  If the power supply has been designed to accept input voltages resulting from mains ranging from 90V to 240V, then within that range the voltage regulator output would be constant within that range.  Once exceeded, the power supply fails, or a fuse blows, which would of course affect the SQ.  If the input voltage drops below the regulator threshold, it cannot properly regulate and operation of the circuits would become erratic. 

External voltage regulators simply duplicate the function of the internal units and accomplish very little, certainly have no effect on SQ.  

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I just had to get that Q out of my system. 

blink.gif

wink.gif

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back