$110 and under: Denon ah-d1001 vs ath-m50 vs ath-es7
Nov 16, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D1001s for sure due to light weight compared to the others, bass isnt overpowered like the Shure 440s, it can be had for 100$ on ebay. Folding, short cord, all around the best closed backs IMO for around 100 bucks.

2nd place goes to Shure 440
3rd m50

wait...are you sure the 1001 folds?

Otherwise I completely agree. The 1001 are EXTREMELY comfy, sounds good. Its one downside is that its isolation is really poor for closed cans, which I actually like since people don't need to yell at me for me to hear them.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #17 of 34
oops im sorry, no they dont fold.
biggrin.gif
Been a while since I used them.

Sound isolation for me is not a good thing. I cant tell you how many times Ive missed important phone calls, and once even my grandmother fell in the other room and i couldn't hear a damned thing. I'm scared to use my sound suppression cans. And its really overrated to pay so much extra just for total noise suppression. You want about 75% suppression when the music is on. Some sets go further when the music is on, and for me thats not only dangerous at times, but really unnecessary. Just enough to hear anything going on around you, phone calls, ect ect.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by attika89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!
For the M50s: you can get them for $90 with free shipping in the U.S from ebay from "brianf"
You can make an offer for $90 and they'll accept it.

good to know! i've been wanting to try these for a while but the 100+ price tag has been putting me off.

i've been getting itchy ears from my scl4 lately even though i clean them frequently. these could be my new office-use cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #20 of 34
Haven't heard the m50, but the comfort on the 1001 is top notch and that's really important to me

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #21 of 34
All of these are comfortable, but the Denons can truly disappear because of the light weight.

1. JVC HA DX3 $110 new
2. JVC HA DX1 $30 used
3. JVC HA RX700 $40 new
4. Denon D1001 $90 new
5. JVC HA RX900 $60 new

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #23 of 34
Am I the only one that thinks that the ATHM50 absolutely TRUMP in Denons in most ways except comfort and portability? The sound is a no contest between the two for me... I own both.
Then again, Studio Beats by Dr Dre sound absolutely amazing to my ears too, along with DT770s... and people think differently. Goes to show all ears are different I guess.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by akqrate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one that thinks that the ATHM50 absolutely TRUMP in Denons in most ways except comfort and portability? The sound is a no contest between the two for me... I own both.
Then again, Studio Beats by Dr Dre sound absolutely amazing to my ears too, along with DT770s... and people think differently. Goes to show all ears are different I guess.

I agree, but in what ways do the m50 "trump" the 1001's in your opinion?

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #25 of 34
The 1001s are laid back, sound is not muffled or recessed by any means but not as punchy/ sparkly and in your face like the M50s. The M50s make me want to listen to music, the 1001s make me want to relax and go to sleep. They both sound good in their own ways but I prefer the M50 9 times out of 10, when choosing between the 2.

I guess I like the Audio Technica and Beyerdynamic sound alot more with their prominent highs, pronounced midrange and punchy lows in case of the audio technica, and the warm, almost open sound, and wide soundstage of the Beyers in their closed models.

The Beats, well I love the beats because they actually do make you hear a lot of the music, it is very engaging... and I love them for the fact that they've made big cans cool again. I love them because almost everyone in the know hates them because they're made by Monster, or for their price (it is overpriced, but they are great headphones). They're sort of like Apple products... overpriced but you do feel like you've purchased something premium.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #26 of 34
Akgrate, thanks for your information. However, you didn't feel that the midrange in the m50's was slightly shadowed by the punchy lows or the crisp treble at all? I've been listening to rock, metal, etc. It somewhat seems like the midrange takes a back seat compared to the rest of the music....

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #27 of 34
Well I guess I do EQ my source so maybe that solves that... but yes. The ATHM50 is not known for it's mids... if you want good mids, try the M-Audio Q40. I guess if you're looking for a flat response you're not going to find it with the M50s... but after owning some VERY expensive flat response headphones I've realised I don't actually find them very engaging. I like my EQ bumps here and there as long as the sound is crystal clean.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #28 of 34
@ akqrate
Your assesment of the D1001 is spot-on. It's really a great phone for laid back listening. It's the only phone I have where a FiiO E3 really mucks it up, it doesn't accept EQing well, and it doesn't play nice with my tube dock table radio. OTOH, it sounds great straight out of whatever source device I plug into.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #29 of 34
Thank you Moontan... and props on getting my name right
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back