11 New Sony BA IEMs
Sep 15, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #62 of 845
Keep hearing from Korean IEM discussion forums is that quad one will be at least 1K USD.

Also unlike other models, quad one may go for 'special order only' as well. But I have no idea what 'special order only' will do anything on IEM itself. Perhaps Sony might provide some deep customizations on them.

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #64 of 845

Quote:
Keep hearing from Korean IEM discussion forums is that quad one will be at least 1K USD.

Also unlike other models, quad one may go for 'special order only' as well. But I have no idea what 'special order only' will do anything on IEM itself. Perhaps Sony might provide some deep customizations on them.

Please don't take the AKG route Sony.

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #65 of 845
Quote:
I wonder what the thought process is behind 8 ohms?

These are going to have interesting source synergy. :)

Quote:
Sony walkman series players and mobile phones, I presume. Easily driven, on the go.

Really interesting synergy with multi-BAs...
rolleyes.gif

(RMAA graph courtesy of dfkt)

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #67 of 845

Quote:

Say what? Geezus...thats just ridiculous. Like those FAD iems. C'mon!

Quote:

Really interesting synergy with multi-BAs...
rolleyes.gif

(RMAA graph courtesy of dfkt)

Wow...thats uhh...messed up.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #69 of 845
That low impedance sure does make the quad a 'must audition with intended amp' IEM.

Is it just me, or is that whole 'full-range' + woofer + tweeter etc. kind of peculiar?  I thought it might just have been a translation issue and they really meant 'midrange'.  But when you look at those frequency graphs, it definitely shows complete overlap between the 'full-range' driver and other drivers.  At first I thought the XBA-4 was a four-way IEM, but now I'm not sure how to classify it.  In fact, both woofers on the XBA-4 cover a similar range with one rolling off sooner.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #73 of 845

Quote:
I dunno, the image for the XB-4's looks pretty much like a straight direct nozzle to me... LCP = liquid crystal polymer right?

Nope, I was correct, there is no nozzle, the sound is shooting straight up through a circular hole, Sony has reinvented the BA? Expect huge soundstage :) and chamber resonance.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #74 of 845

Quote:

Nope, I was correct, there is no nozzle, the sound is shooting straight up through a circular hole, Sony has reinvented the BA? Expect huge soundstage :) and chamber resonance.

BA (balanced armature), MA (moving armature) and now SBA (Sony Balanced Armature)? Oh what interesting times we live in! Methinks Sony is coming back with a vengeance and I for one am looking forward to this!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back