$1000 system for my pops 50th[UPDATE: Moderate hearing loss compensation!]
May 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

WiR3D

We intend to hurt him...quite a bit. very_evil_smiley.gif
EDIT 2: skip to here
EDIT: Go here

So my dads big 5-0 birthday is coming up in a few months and I wanted to start digging.

I was thinking of getting him a turntable originally, and then realised good ones are available for less then one grand.

So what i want is a TURNTABLE, an AMP, and HEADPHONES.

Or just a turntable.

I was looking at the Technics SL1200mk2, and possibly a HD650. But my knowledge lies with low impedance and DACs, im afraid my amp knowledge is bad.

My dad listens to mainly 80s heavy metal and rock with the odd other classical piece.

And to make things worse i will mention my dad has issues at certain high frequencies from years of workshop work with angle grinders and such.

My dad looked after me and my brother, and things did get tough, also now he is looking after his father, and I really want to say thank you.

Thanks

May 28, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:
So my dads big 5-0 birthday is coming up in a few months and I wanted to start digging.
I was thinking of getting him a turntable originally, and then realised good ones are available for less then one grand.
Or just a turntable.
I was looking at the Technics SL1200mk2, and possibly a HD650. But my knowledge lies with low impedance and DACs, im afraid my amp knowledge is bad.
My dad listens to mainly 80s heavy metal and rock with the odd other classical piece.
And to make things worse i will mention my dad has issues at certain high frequencies from years of workshop work with angle grinders and such.
My dad looked after me and my brother, and things did get tough, also now he is looking after his father, and I really want to say thank you.
Thanks

Glad to try to help a youngster like your dad.  Consider getting him a quality rehabbed receiver from the 1970's or early 80's.  They have phono inputs and headphones (the good ones were usually 300 Ohm and up in those days) usually sound great out of the headphone jack.

With your dad's hearing issues, the go-to Grados and Allesandros are out.  The HD 600 or 650 are probably good choices as is the D5000 and Beyer DT 770 Pro.

May 28, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:
Regarding turntables, you could get highly a regarded pro-ject, rega or music hall turntable for less than a Technics SL1200. Unless you want a direct drive turntable.

Totally agree but you also could try Audio Technica ATLP120USB plus Belari VP530 plus Denon D5000/7000  VP530 has headphones out with volume control in case you want avoid buying vintage equipment which might need some maintenance since its over 30 years old

May 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 28
In my experience Thorens turntables are pretty good, for the headphones a set of HD598's may suit your dad's tastes. 

May 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Consider getting him a quality rehabbed receiver from the 1970's or early 80's.  They have phono inputs and headphones (the good ones were usually 300 Ohm and up in those days) usually sound great out of the headphone jack.

I'll second this recommendation, I have two vintage receivers that I love, neither cost more than $150. I recently had a HD650 here for a couple of weeks, it really seemed to work nicely with the Pioneer SX-650. I don't have a turntable though so I'm not sure how good the phono section is in it, moving up the line a bit might get something a bit better in that regard. I'd expect that you could pick up something in great shape to serve as both phone and headphone amp duties for between $100 - 300.

May 29, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:
Or just a turntable.
Thanks

Glad to try to help a youngster like your dad.  Consider getting him a quality rehabbed receiver from the 1970's or early 80's.  They have phono inputs and headphones (the good ones were usually 300 Ohm and up in those days) usually sound great out of the headphone jack.

With your dad's hearing issues, the go-to Grados and Allesandros are out.  The HD 600 or 650 are probably good choices as is the D5000 and Beyer DT 770 Pro.

Thanks KG, I should clarify, when I say issues I mean his hearing level at those 3 or 4 frequencies in the higher end of the spectrum is at about 30%.

I too was thinking of grado, but don't they have zero soundstage?
As for the amp, I do have an oldish Onkyo, that's predigital era, has absolutely no digital inputs, and has phono in. So he can use that if need be, but I want to get him something of his own. I will look for what you suggested. Thank you.

And thanks for the other recs. Just curious if I should still avoid the grado's

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

May 29, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:
Regarding turntables, you could get highly a regarded pro-ject, rega or music hall turntable for less than a Technics SL1200. Unless you want a direct drive turntable.

Totally agree but you also could try Audio Technica ATLP120USB plus Belari VP530 plus Denon D5000/7000  VP530 has headphones out with volume control in case you want avoid buying vintage equipment which might need some maintenance since its over 30 years old

Thanks for this, now I have a lot of ammo, I can do some digging.

I never mentioned something that's quite important. I do need a dust cover, because we have cats.

May 29, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 28

Any specific models?
Also with the other recommendations that you and others have given, what about tone arms and cartridges? Are the stock ones fine?

May 29, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:
Thanks KG, I should clarify, when I say issues I mean his hearing level at those 3 or 4 frequencies in the higher end of the spectrum is at about 30%.
I too was thinking of grado, but don't they have zero soundstage?
As for the amp, I do have an oldish Onkyo, that's predigital era, has absolutely no digital inputs, and has phono in. So he can use that if need be, but I want to get him something of his own. I will look for what you suggested. Thank you.
And thanks for the other recs. Just curious if I should still avoid the grado's

The SR Grados do not have a great sound stage, but it gets better as you step up the line.  The SR 325 might just be the ticket.  It's efficient and its brightness might be a plus if your dad has lost high frequency hearing.  It also has the greatest clarity and bass in the SR line.

May 29, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

I just checked out the Belari, and it didn't get a good review for its headphone jack, but for all the rest it did.
If only I had the money for a WA3+HD650... owell I dont.

So it looks like the Headphones will defintely be the SR325. 
Now for the 
AMP/PREamp(Phono stage)
Turntable. I havent decided yet.
with about $700 left for the both.

Note: Amp wise I would prefer a tube amp.

May 29, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #12 of 28
TURNTABLE:

Right so I did a fair amount of reading.
Durability is important to me. and so is a dust cover. And I too the suggestions and this is what I have narrowed it down to:

1. Project Debut III : $330 - 
    1. some issues, temperamental
    2. doesn't seem like its got longevity
    3. Can get dust cover
  1. MusicHall MMF-2.2: $450 (leader so far)
    1. Comes with good cartridge
    2. Dust cover (double check)
    3. solid reviews (Needle Doctor), no issues, simple mechanics for longevity
    4. bad reviews on amazon?
  2. Rega RP1:$450
    1. down force issues
    2. award winner
  3. Technics SL 1210 II Turntable - apparently you can get better
  4. Denon DP-300F: $330 (combo with Ortofon 2M red $420) (Combo is in Second Place)
    1. looks good, GREAT BUILD QUALITY, cant lock tone arm, 
    2. needs new cartridge:  Shure M97xE ($70 amazon) or Ortofon 2M red
    3. Has dust cover (double check)
    4. Badly isolated motor(or grounding issues) and platter.
    5. Built in preamp (of questionable quality)
  5. Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 Genie MKIII Turntable: Gloss Black
    2. Motor Noise - use a mat.
    3. Good cartridge

I think I am either going to go with the Denon or the MusicHall

May 29, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 28
Hi WiR3D

I don't have anything new to add WRT purchases.  I just wanted to chime in and say that your Dad should be proud to have a son like you who cares enough to buy something like this for his fiftieth and put in so much time in research. 

Reading this thread has made my day.

May 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:
Hi WiR3D

I don't have anything new to add WRT purchases.  I just wanted to chime in and say that your Dad should be proud to have a son like you who cares enough to buy something like this for his fiftieth and put in so much time in research. 

+1 on that. Very nice...

May 29, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:
Hi WiR3D

Well considering when it was his 40th, I was 12, and my brother and I were sick, so he didn't get to spend it the way he wanted, I thought I would make up for it :p

I love my father.

Anyway back on topic I have put together the culmination of all my research, and if there is no new information regarding the posts i made previously then these are my preliminarily Rigs.

Combos
  1. 1
    1. HP: Grado SR325 $300 
    2. HPamp: Hifiman EF-2A ($190) + Raytheon 6AK5W tubes ($40 ebay)
    3. Pre: Cambridge Audio Azur 551P Phono Preamp $150 (MM only)
    4. TT: MusicHall MMF-2.2: $450
    5. TOTAL: $1130
    1. HP: Grado SR325 $300
    2. HPamp: Hifiman EF-2A ($190) + Raytheon 6AK5W tubes ($40 ebay)
    3. Pre: built in
    4. TT: Denon DP-300F + Ortofon 2M Red = $420
    5. TOTAL: $950
  1. 3
    1. HP: Grado SR325 $300 
    2. HPamp:-
    3. Pre: Bellari VP130 $250 + Mullard 12AX7 / ECC83  ($23 @ ebay)
    4. TT: MusicHall MMF-2.2: $450
    5. TOTAL: $1023

I am leaning towards option 2 if the built in preamp is good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back