$1000 budget - will a portable amp make a difference with the HM801
Jul 3, 2011 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a 1k budget for a source but had a few questions about the colorfly and hm 801 type models.  I know they have a powerful internal amp but would yet another portable amp combined with them even make a difference?  

I was curious if these amps will show improvement with the HM801.  I got to see someone use it and really liked it.  I thought the interface was bare bones and easier than the fuze, but was just curious if any portable amps will improve on the already amazing sound, or would they limit the soundstage of the hm801?  I'd like to pair my Edition 8 with the best portable setup possible that retains small enough to fit into a pocket.  

any suggestions? Does anyone think the HM601+the headarrow is a better combo than just the hm801?

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 9
IMO everything starts at the source, so the better files and dac followed by amp. I tried the HM801 with various portable amps costing up to $500 and it was not worth it. Depending on the cans you will be using you could opt for the higher gain module based on the 627 op-amps. Good luck.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 9
" Going back to the HM-801, I’ve been listening for a few days through the Protector driving the HD800 in balanced, but when I plugged in the HD800 straight into the HM-801′s headphone out, I was quite surprised. This thing is much more transparent and revealing than what I’ve been hearing through the Protector. So, here I am, mesmerized by how awesome the HM-801 was driving a full size HD-800 straight from its headphone out. Finally, you can have a one box solution that doesn’t require a separate amplifier. When the Protector is driving the HD800 in single ended, it was not even close. The Protector hasn’t got the grunt to drive the HD800 in single ended. If you switch to balanced, things are much improved, but the HM-801 still ends up with more punch than the Protector did. And of course, the Hifiman HM-801′s internal amp gives a much more livelier and more transparent sound than the Protector. " - Source

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 9
I think ALO RX MK II AMPs with ALO 18AWG SXC or 18AWG pure Cryo cable will improve the soundquality over HM-801 HP jack. The Cryo cables increase the soundstage vastly and improve overall details in mids, highs with deep punchy bass.

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I think ALO RX MK II AMPs with ALO 18AWG SXC or 18AWG pure Cryo cable will improve the soundquality over HM-801 HP jack. The Cryo cables increase the soundstage vastly and improve overall details in mids, highs with deep punchy bass.

I'll bet you $100 that you won't be able to tell the difference if you don't know what you're listening to.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 9
hi i used, rays 71B in balanced. i traded and tried it with a desktop woo audio 6 SE amp, but i ended up selling and going back to 71B. desktop amps better in some ways like body and soundstage, but 71B has its own quality that I missed, which is funness, and attack. plus its so small

Users who are viewing this thread

Back