$100 speakers for a workout room
Feb 17, 2011 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dfield

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy some speakers for $100 or less for a small rock climbing gym (10 ft by 20 ft). They should work with iPods (headphone jacks). They also should be relatively durable, since there is a lot of chalk in the air.
Any recommendations?

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm guessing you mean active speakers. Its gonna be a bit hard to find good active speakers for 100$, the ones that are there will probably not survive too long in an outdoors style environment with lots of dust and heat. Especially stuff like the M audio AV-30 which is already notorious for overheating and quality control issues.

I'd consider getting some outdoors type speakers or used speakers with a used integrated amp or receiver instead, they will take a lot more beating and are generally more suitable for the sort of environment you are suggesting. I'd start by looking at craigstlist and local thrift stores and then consider the ebay route if nothing works out.

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, I was hoping for active speakers.
Honestly, I'm not looking for great speakers. I've got my good headphones and amp setup at my computer. I'm just looking for something replace the terrible computer speakers currently setup there. It's a shared space anyway, so if they are too nice they might get stolen.

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 7
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/543792306/mirage-omd5?s_c=site_search

This is $130 passive speaker, and it's only one :D. I don't have it but I have the omd 15 and omd 28, and most of the sweetness of the music comes from the tweeter which disperses highs in all directions. I think it'd sound great as a mono speaker, you just need to get a used integrated receiver, and get a cable to convert 3.5mm to 2x rca to input audio from ipod to receiver. Used receivers can be had for really cheap at garage sales or on craigslist, and the cable can be had for less than $5 shipped from monoprice. Definitely go for their premium ones, so cheap and high quality ^^.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804

The good thing about this speaker is that it comes with a wall mount, mount it really high in the gym and no one would steal it without a ladder. Put it in a brown paper bag if you think people will be tempted to try to steal :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back