$100 Headphones, Grado, M50s?
Feb 12, 2011 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

boo54577

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I'm looking to get my first pair of full-size headphones. I've been using PX-100s mainly, and I want something a little better. My budget's around $100, I'd really prefer not going over.

I mainly listen to alternative/indie music, as well as some rock/classic rock, progressive and whatnot. So far I've seen the following models suggested:

Audio-Technica M50
Grado (SR60 and SR80, whats the big difference here?)
Sennheiser HD 448

I'm open to other suggestions as well, I'm just looking for something to use in the dorm, library, walking, and possibly plane. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 36
open vs close. it's your call. open has better clarity and sound stage. close has better isolation. so open for home , close can be both home and on bus or train. 

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 36

Quote:
Hey guys, so I'm looking to get my first pair of full-size headphones. I've been using PX-100s mainly, and I want something a little better. My budget's around $100, I'd really prefer not going over.

I mainly listen to alternative/indie music, as well as some rock/classic rock, progressive and whatnot. So far I've seen the following models suggested:

Audio-Technica M50
Grado (SR60 and SR80, whats the big difference here?)
Sennheiser HD 448

I'm open to other suggestions as well, I'm just looking for something to use in the dorm, library, walking, and possibly plane. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

skip the grados for now, because they're open back headphones (leaks and lets in sound), they are not suitable for use in a library, cafe, and especially an airplane. M50's would be better in this case

James

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 36
Koss Pro DJ100's are the best headphones I've heard for rock under $100. Or $150 for that matter.

They just sound too fantastic, though some people have said they sound much better amped, I found them to sound excellent straight from my Sony Walkman E-Series MP3 player.

They aren't the most isolating headphone, but they don't leak much sound.

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 36

Quote:
Alright I appreciate the help, I'm definitely leaning towards the M50's then, though Kukuk, do you have a comparison of the M50's and the DJ100's?

I haven't done an extensive comparison, but there are a few things I can definitely say about the DJ100's.

The DJ100's definitely focus more on the mid range. Very, very sweet mids, without being boring. A little forward, but not harsh to the extent of, say, the Grados. I did feel the DJ100's were a little rolled off in the bass, especially when compared to the M50's, but it's not too bad. The bass is very, very thumpy, more so than the M50's.

As far as detail and instrument separation go, I think the M50's have the DJ100's beat. It can be a little hard to pick out individual instruments on the DJ100's. The highs are also a little rolled off, so that cuts away some detail.

But the thing to take away from it is: The DJ100's are incredibly musical. Never harsh, and even some of the worst recording still sound very listenable. Not that I think the M50's aren't musical, but I think the DJ100's have them beat here!

Feb 12, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 36
I haven't heard the DJ100s, but I think you will enjoy the M50s a lot if you listen to rock of any kind.  Their V-shaped frequency balance and detail work great for all kinds of rock.  They are a great closed phone.

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 36

Quote:
I haven't heard the DJ100s, but I think you will enjoy the M50s a lot if you listen to rock of any kind.  Their V-shaped frequency balance and detail work great for all kinds of rock.  They are a great closed phone.

sorry but no V-shaped headphone is great for rock. The primary frequency in rock is midrange, and the m50's V-shaped, or recessed midrange means you will be loosing a lot of details, and guitars and vocals will not be in the foreground. I would personally suggest the Alessandro MS1, these absolutely cannot be beat for rock under $100.

But you say you want to use them in the library and plane etc, unfortunately the MS1 do leak sound in and out so it would not be fitting. So this cuts options down to closed phones. Not a whole lot of good options under $100. The shure 440 or M50 are both options.

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 36
So are the M50's not the best for indie/alternative then? That's really the main kind of music I listen to. I've been looking around the and DJ100s seem interesting too, I just can't decide which would be better.

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 36
Well from what kukuk is saying it would seem the dj100 are better than the m50 for rock, but the shure 440 is also a good option, which i would personally take if I wanted a closedphone.

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 36
Well I guess they might not have to be closed air. I use Px-100s quite a bit in the library with lower sounds and it hasnt been a problem. Is there really a big difference between, let's say, Grado S80s and M50's or DJ100's? Enough of a difference to go for open over closed? Because I can just use a cheaper pair for the plane and use low volumes at the library.

Edit: And Trance, you really think the MS1's have the Grado's beat?

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 36

Quote:
Well I guess they might not have to be closed air. I use Px-100s quite a bit in the library with lower sounds and it hasnt been a problem. Is there really a big difference between, let's say, Grado S80s and M50's or DJ100's? Enough of a difference to go for open over closed? Because I can just use a cheaper pair for the plane and use low volumes at the library.

Edit: And Trance, you really think the MS1's have the Grado's beat?

px100's are different from grados, px100's are semi open, grados are...open-open, a pair of grados would be completely unsuitable for library use unless you listen to music barely louder than a whisper or it's in your own personal library. for trance, neither are quite suitable due to a lack of bass (quantity wise, and they don't extend very low) 

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #15 of 36
Oh OK, well thanks for letting me know, I'll stick to the closed headphones then. Still a little stuck between the M50's and the DJ100's, guess I'll just make a decision soon. Appreciate the help everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back