$100-$200 closed back headphones
Feb 9, 2015 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mysticstryk

Headphoneus Supremus
I know these threads pop up probably too often, but it's so hard to find the right headphone due to my very specific music genres I listen too, and need some advice. I got a small bonus from work and am looking to spend up too $200 on a closed back pair of headphones.

I listen to some very specific genres of music, but something that plays well with most music would be nice.  Also I hate phones that can get fatiguing after awhile.  I have a pair of iems (phonak audeo) that I can't stand to listen too for more than 30 minutes at a time.

Examples of music:
Symphonic Metal (ex. Kamelot, Dream Theater, etc)
Acid Ambient (ex. CBL, etc)
Symphony Classical (ex. Thomas Bergersen, Two Steps from Hell, etc)
Synth  pop (ex. Lazerhawks, Drive soundtrack etc)
Classic Rock (ex. Styx, REO etc)
A good mix of male and/or female vocals.

Thanks for any input that you can provide.  
beerchug.gif

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 25
Did a few hours of research last night and came up with the ath m50x and the shure srh840.  How would these two compare according to my preferences, and is there something else I should also consider.

Also had a chance to try out the Sennheiser HD439.  Very nice exempt a bit lacking in the lower end, I don't know if a little EQing might fix that. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 25
Haven't tried either so can't help there but the mx50x is currently on sale as a bundle if you're willing to sell the recorder.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7652010-audio-technica-ath-m50x-headphones-tascam-dr-22wl-2-ch-audio-recorder-with-wi-fi-154-after-25-rebate-free-shipping

There's already people it the thread willing to pay $70+ for the $125 recorder, so with a quick turnaround and if you're willing to buy "like new" shures, you might even be able to get both!

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 25
  I know these threads pop up probably too often, but it's so hard to find the right headphone due to my very specific music genres I listen too, and need some advice. I got a small bonus from work and am looking to spend up too $200 on a closed back pair of headphones.

I listen to some very specific genres of music, but something that plays well with most music would be nice.  Also I hate phones that can get fatiguing after awhile.  I have a pair of iems (phonak audeo) that I can't stand to listen too for more than 30 minutes at a time.

Examples of music:
Symphonic Metal (ex. Kamelot, Dream Theater, etc)
Acid Ambient (ex. CBL, etc)
Symphony Classical (ex. Thomas Bergersen, Two Steps from Hell, etc)
Synth  pop (ex. Lazerhawks, Drive soundtrack etc)
Classic Rock (ex. Styx, REO etc)
A good mix of male and/or female vocals.

Thanks for any input that you can provide.  
beerchug.gif

The M50x is a great phone in this price range.   Its much improved over the older M50.  Bass is slightly above neutral in quantity and extends well into sub-bass region.  Mids are fairly neutral, maybe could use a little more lower-mid, but quite good and detailed.  The top end is pretty neutral, its main fault is that it can get a bit congested with complex music, but that's to be be expected in this price range.  Detail retrieval is still very good.

You find the Phonak Audeo fatiguing?  What filter are you using.  I find them a little bright with the gray and a just a little dark with the black filter.  The overall tone of the M50x is in between the gray and black filters of the Phonak, so perhaps you might find it bright.  Comfort could be better as clamping is pretty tight and earcups are on the small side.  Still, I really enjoy these phones and see why they are so popular.  Another one you might want to look into is Focal Audio Sprit One S.   A little more refined than the 50x, and I believe they are priced right at 200, and they still maintain excellent bass response.

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 25
I had the ATHm50x arrive in the mail today to demo.  Burning them in now as I type this.  On first listen they do seem a bit bright.  I can't see myself able to listen for hours with these without fatigue.  

The Sennheiser hd439 has about 72 hours of burn in.  Overall the sound is pretty good with a little eq bump in the low end, but the cheap plastic build leaves a lot to be desired.  Not to mention, for closed back, they let in a lot of ambient noise compared to the m50x.

Still haven't gotten my hands on the Shure srh840 to test.

@onebigunion I use the green filters.  Definitely cannot use for more than an hour at most before I need a break.  Granted, these are the first model audeos that came out a few years ago. The pfe112 I believe is their model.  

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 25
If you're finding the green filters fatiguing / too bright, you definitely aren't going to be happy the 50x. You definitely need a laid back phone. Sennheiser Momentum might fit the bill

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 25
If you're finding the green filters fatiguing / too bright, you definitely aren't going to be happy the 50x. You definitely need a laid back phone. Sennheiser Momentum might fit the bill

I should have clarified.  The stock grey filters were too bright.  I haven't had sufficient time with the green ones yet.  However I didn't find them all that comfortable to wear to begin with, which lead me to get a new pair of iems.  The momentums usually go for around $300 which is out of my price range unless they go on sale.  

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 25
Momentums (original version) can be easily bought for 200 since the momentum 2 is released. They'r laid back but still have reasonable detail. Philips M1 might be another good choice, I think under 150. Both I believe would easily trump the 439

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 25
Momentums (original version) can be easily bought for 200 since the momentum 2 is released. They'r laid back but still have reasonable detail. Philips M1 might be another good choice, I think under 150. Both I believe would easily trump the 439

I think my local best buy might have a demo for the momentums, I'll check and try them out there.  What about the Shure srh840?  The philips m1 looks to be an on-ear headphone, which I'm not a fan of.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 25
The Shure have strong bass, engaging mids, and good treble (occ. sibilant). You'd have to stack that against your prioritized wants to choose. Still and all, the Shure is a very solid closed can.

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 25

I think my local best buy might have a demo for the momentums, I'll check and try them out there.  What about the Shure srh840?  The philips m1 looks to be an on-ear headphone, which I'm not a fan of.

The M1 is an on ear, but its very comfortable.  The Momentum, while it says its over-ear, you have to have pretty small ears for them to be over ear.  The cups are about the same size as the 50x, so if they fit your ears, the Momentum should too.  Best Buy probably won't sell them at a discount, but Amazon has good prices right now.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #12 of 25
  The Shure have strong bass, engaging mids, and good treble (occ. sibilant). You'd have to stack that against your prioritized wants to choose. Still and all, the Shure is a very solid closed can.

So your saying that if I find the 50x a little harsh, that I'll probably have the same reaction to the shure?
  The M1 is an on ear, but its very comfortable.  The Momentum, while it says its over-ear, you have to have pretty small ears for them to be over ear.  The cups are about the same size as the 50x, so if they fit your ears, the Momentum should too.  Best Buy probably won't sell them at a discount, but Amazon has good prices right now.

The 50x fits my ears perfectly, quite comfortable, so size may not be an issue. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #13 of 25

So your saying that if I find the 50x a little harsh, that I'll probably have the same reaction to the shure?

The 50x fits my ears perfectly, quite comfortable, so size may not be an issue. 

Based on your feedback, I think you'll really like the original Sennheiser Momentum, you definitely won't find any harshness or sibilance.You're definitely not a treble-head.  Give it an audition if you can.  You can always order from Amazon and get a free 30-day trial period, that's why I always buy from them.

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #14 of 25
  Based on your feedback, I think you'll really like the original Sennheiser Momentum, you definitely won't find any harshness or sibilance.You're definitely not a treble-head.  Give it an audition if you can.  You can always order from Amazon and get a free 30-day trial period, that's why I always buy from them.

I found these momentums on sale, open box though. Link  $125 after a coupon code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back