10 days countdown for you know who ;)
Jul 1, 2005 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Yep, can't wait for Harry Potter and the half blood prince. IMO they should have release it on friday or saturday. I can't read them on monday, damn, it will be the longest week.
mad.gif

Jul 2, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I can't stand the books. They seem to have no real depth - only children's action books. The movies aren't spectacular either.

But that's only me
tongue.gif

Not only you
biggrin.gif
I don't like Harry Potter either, but I have immense respect for what JK Rowling has done for the reading world, pushing it back into the mainstream. I'm trying to get my book series published, and as a younger writer(21 now, but I started at 10) there's a better chance that my works have a chance at being read by the masses(please note: my book series is NOT FOR CHILDREN!, and is not fantasy/scifi centered). I like that possibility very much.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 2, 2005 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 20
Hard to believe that Harry Potter made it to Amazon's #1 spot in its bestseller list long before the release date pushing back the likes of Dan Brown and Nick Hornby. It certainly is entertainment of the highest order!

Jul 2, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I can't stand the books. They seem to have no real depth - only children's action books. The movies aren't spectacular either.

But that's only me
tongue.gif

Nope...it's me too.

The movies I find more enjoyable though.

Jul 3, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 20
I don't find them all that childish. The first and second, perhaps. But the later ones really show a lot of depth and thought. Admittedly they're childrens books first and foremost, but I still think they're good reading
biggrin.gif
Only problem with the midnight release is the bratty, whiny, tired children who drug their parents there, and no doubt dressed up. If you can't drive yourself there, you're too young to be out at midnight releases, says I. Same goes for movies. Little kids screaming because Lord of the Rings is running well into 3AM is not my idea of fun.

All this being said, I'm also a fan of more mature (?) fantasy. I found Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy to be quite good. And on a slightly younger fanbase, I just finished the first in Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy. I must say, it's quite good. Only about 400 pages, but brilliant characters, and a good level of sarcasm and dark comedy.

Jul 3, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 20
My favorite fantasy books are the Night Watch subset of Terry Pratchett's discworld. Its funny, the character's are inventive and the stories can be very interesting.

Jul 3, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
I don't find them all that childish. The first and second, perhaps. But the later ones really show a lot of depth and thought. Admittedly they're childrens books first and foremost, but I still think they're good reading
biggrin.gif
Only problem with the midnight release is the bratty, whiny, tired children who drug their parents there, and no doubt dressed up. If you can't drive yourself there, you're too young to be out at midnight releases, says I. Same goes for movies. Little kids screaming because Lord of the Rings is running well into 3AM is not my idea of fun.

All this being said, I'm also a fan of more mature (?) fantasy. I found Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy to be quite good. And on a slightly younger fanbase, I just finished the first in Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy. I must say, it's quite good. Only about 400 pages, but brilliant characters, and a good level of sarcasm and dark comedy.

Well said Stephonovich. This is the kind of post that ups a forum persona from a name, avator, sig, and possibly a picture to a personality.

Aman, have you ever read the books? As Stephonovich pointed out, they have quite a bit of depth, at least from 3 on. They tell not only the young action/adventure story, but the story of a typical teenager growing up in what I find to be an intelligent but charming manner.

Jul 3, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #15 of 20
i agree with oneeyedhobbit and Stephonovich; 3 on gains quite a bit of depth and character development. and it's not just the three main characters, we find out bits and pieces of information on other characters that may or may not be important on future books. Half Blood Prince is supposed to contain bombshells on the history of many characters, and why things came to be.

Rowling has always said she wanted the series to grow darker and more serious... also wanting the core audience to grow with the books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back