1/4 inch jack replacements, brands and where to buy?
Apr 7, 2022 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

waveess

New Head-Fier
I've got some DT770's that the jack broke on. Went to Musician's Friend and bought a new one and soldered it on and it lasted about a week (prob my soldering). That was the last they had in store.

Is there a big difference in audio quality with 1/4 jacks? Do "no solder" jacks suck? Is there specific model/brand I should be looking for or does anyone have a link for a standard replacement that's good? Or is this easier to just buy an after market cable with jack on the end already and connect the wire. Very newb to this stuff.

Amazon is weird to search on, I searched Switchcraft 1/4 and it seems they are mono guitar adaptors, etc...

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 6
I've never used a no-solder jack, but I wouldn't be in favor of them in general. The audio quality isn't hugely different between makers, but do read reviews - some burn out really quickly if you're not super fast with your iron. I usually order mine from Amazon or someplace like Mouser, Parts Express, etc. Just add "stereo" to the search and you should get one just fine.

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 6
I like Rean/Neutrik because they're inexpensive, easy to work with and decent quality.
Search "1/4 TRS plug" or "1/4 stereo plug." "TRS" stands for "tip-ring-sleeve"; mono plugs are "TS," which is "tip-sleeve".

If you're in the US, Redco has a decent selection and generally good prices (though shipping can be kinda high). Parts Express is much easier to navigate than Mouser, etc.

Apr 7, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 6
Rean/Nuetrik make quality connectors. Just by looking at the MF website it seems they mostly carry Neutrik so you probably have a good connector already and they are reusable as well. Nothing wrong with cutting it off and trying again.

Apr 8, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 6
Oh yeah, as @buke9 says, you can probably just reuse the connector that you bought, assuming that you didn't break it the first time around. You might not have to remove it at all, just reflow the solder. Make sure there are no shorts (sometimes a little glob of solder or a stray strand of wire) and that you didn't break it by overheating it (if something looks crooked, or if some part moves/spins).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back