02 beyerdynamic is looking for testers who want to check-out the A 200 p. A high-end mobile DAC and AMP.
May 7, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #61 of 126

confused_face_2.gif

?

May 7, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #62 of 126

A bit nonplussed by the glaring lack of participants residing in Asia mixed with personal disappointment (mostly personal disappointment, to be honest...) 

May 7, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #63 of 126
May 7, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #64 of 126
  Would Australasia or Oceania better meet your approval? 

No. They did include Asia in the iem tour, so maybe it's a logistical issue...I'm sure they have their reasons. Just sour grapes on my part. 

May 7, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #66 of 126
  No. They did include Asia in the iem tour, so maybe it's a logistical issue...I'm sure they have their reasons. Just sour grapes on my part. 

Don't worry - I felt the same way last time with their flagship IEM (when I missed out).  I guess the great thing is that Beyer are giving plenty of people a chance to try their products.

The only issue I have with the way they are picking testers is that the vast majority continue to have nil or 1-2 reviews under their belts.  There is a huge difference (IMHO) between reviewers with practical experience and someone just starting out.  Of the 10 just picked - only myself and shotgunshane have a lot of reviews under our belts.

I did find with the DX160ie reviews that the two best by a country mile were ClieOS and Greq.  And that is no disrespect meant to the other reviewers either - all who did a pretty good job.  It's just that I know what I was like as a green reviewer when I first started - and for someone genuinely interested in researching a new product - it's nice to have a few comparative reviews from people with some reviewing experience.  I look back on my own early reviews - and I made a lot of very noob mistakes.  I'd like to think that a lot of my later ones are much more informative now.  A typical review for me will often involve serious listening and note-taking over 2-3 weeks (depending on how long you have to trial the gear), and often 5-6 hours actually writing it up.  When I first started - I'd write an impression after only a few days, and reviews comparing products were done with little to no experience with other gear, and no practical knowledge of doing things properly (eg volume matching etc). 

I'll possibly get shot down re the above comments - but it's how I genuinely feel.  A nice mix (IMO) would involve at least half of the reviews being from people with previous reviewing experience.  I guess another yardstick for me is that if someone is genuinely interested in contributing reviews to help the community - they at least should start by reviewing their own existing gear.  It's how I started 
wink.gif

Anyway doublea71 - hang in there.  If Beyer continue the excellent trend of involving the community, I'm sure you'll get your chance on some other gear.  I really enjoyed your X5 review - so I'll look forward to it when it happens.

May 7, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #67 of 126
I guess in this instance they wanted a broad spectrum of reviewers as you say brooko.

I personally haven't written any reviews for head fi. I started one for my iems however felt I needed more time with them before I could properly give a review.
I know fairly quickly how I feel about a pair of headphones or a DAC or amp. However it takes much longer to learn to appreciate all of their strengths and weaknesses.

I have however listened to a fair range of headphones and sources both in an a/b scenario as well as simply over time.

Perhaps though I will refer to some of your reviews to best articulate what it is I am hearing.

I know I am keen to have a listen, particularly as I am currently in the market for an android DAC.

May 7, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #68 of 126

Don't worry - I felt the same way last time with their flagship IEM (when I missed out).  I guess the great thing is that Beyer are giving plenty of people a chance to try their products.

The only issue I have with the way they are picking testers is that the vast majority continue to have nil or 1-2 reviews under their belts.  There is a huge difference (IMHO) between reviewers with practical experience and someone just starting out.  Of the 10 just picked - only myself and shotgunshane have a lot of reviews under our belts.

I did find with the DX160ie reviews that the two best by a country mile were ClieOS and Greq.  And that is no disrespect meant to the other reviewers either - all who did a pretty good job.  It's just that I know what I was like as a green reviewer when I first started - and for someone genuinely interested in researching a new product - it's nice to have a few comparative reviews from people with some reviewing experience.  I look back on my own early reviews - and I made a lot of very noob mistakes.  I'd like to think that a lot of my later ones are much more informative now.  A typical review for me will often involve serious listening and note-taking over 2-3 weeks (depending on how long you have to trial the gear), and often 5-6 hours actually writing it up.  When I first started - I'd write an impression after only a few days, and reviews comparing products were done with little to no experience with other gear, and no practical knowledge of doing things properly (eg volume matching etc). 

I'll possibly get shot down re the above comments - but it's how I genuinely feel.  A nice mix (IMO) would involve at least half of the reviews being from people with previous reviewing experience.  I guess another yardstick for me is that if someone is genuinely interested in contributing reviews to help the community - they at least should start by reviewing their own existing gear.  It's how I started 
wink.gif

Anyway doublea71 - hang in there.  If Beyer continue the excellent trend of involving the community, I'm sure you'll get your chance on some other gear.  I really enjoyed your X5 review - so I'll look forward to it when it happens.

Ehm yea I'm with you there... I'm a little bummed at missing out on this my self q.q BUT then again I don't have a SE headphone with me at the moment so I suppose that's for the better! But an adapter is on it's way

still I would have loved to hear this q.q oh well 

May 8, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #69 of 126
Well I didn't get chosen but I wonder how this sounds (if at all) any different from the Astell & Kern version?

I've recommended the AK version of this player to some of my Korean friends actually, as an affordable priced "upgrade" portable-DAC/amp. Oh well, too bad I wasn't able to get a chance to take a listen to them, but I'd probably be quite underwhelmed compared to my main portable rig (Theorem 720 + iPhone 4s) anyway, :/.

May 8, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #70 of 126
Looks like this time around I'm a bridesmaid and not the bride
Oh man, I can't believe I just typed that out ?!?!?!?!?!?!
To all the testers, congrats and I look forward to reading your final reviews.

May 8, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #71 of 126
  Looks like this time around I'm a bridesmaid and not the bride
Oh man, I can't believe I just typed that out ?!?!?!?!?!?!
To all the testers, congrats and I look forward to reading your final reviews.

haha I feel ya dude... except where the groomsmen ;3 

May 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #72 of 126
Thanks for the opportunity! I am very excited and honored.

I'll possibly get shot down re the above comments - but it's how I genuinely feel.  A nice mix (IMO) would involve at least half of the reviews being from people with previous reviewing experience.  I guess another yardstick for me is that if someone is genuinely interested in contributing reviews to help the community - they at least should start by reviewing their own existing gear.  It's how I started :wink:

Just because we don't have Head-fi reviews doesn't mean we don't have a body of work or something to offer.

May 13, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #73 of 126
Thanks for the opportunity! I am very excited and honored.
Just because we don't have Head-fi reviews doesn't mean we don't have a body of work or something to offer.

+1.

I am honored to be a reviewer as well.

I've got three other portable DACs to compare it to on hand:  FiiO E17, HRT microStreamer, and CEntrance HiFi-M8.  I've been active in the iDevices DAC threads and know how to coax (or at least test) 24/96 out of them.  I've been to local meets (my first was back in 2005) and have both low and hi-end headphones to try.  

I'll mainly test with the iPhone 5, a newer iPad, and a laptop, but I will try it with a 30-pin iDevice if they send a 30-pin cable along with the A 200 P.  

May 13, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #74 of 126
I've got the E17, a D-Zero, a Note 3 and an iPhone 5 to test it with/against.

My headphones are relatively low/mid-fi, but I definitely think they're up to the challenge of testing this with. Might save a bit of cash and grab some 250+ ohm headphones to see what the amp can do.

May 13, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #75 of 126

Fantastic - I'll look forward to your review with interest.  And maybe you'd also take the time to review some of your current gear in future as well then  ........
or does it need to be linked to a possible prize to make it worthwhile for you ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back