「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Aug 1, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #174,137 of 177,747
This.

AMD drivers kinda suck*......

Yea... I keep having that problem with AMD, I've always enjoyed their super competitive prices, but their latest driver... crashed on me. I had to roll back to what came in the box, and I can't overclock with their software any more -.-

But I'm not gaming and the card I have ONLY running 986Mhz [used to run 1.01 Ghz] is doing sufficient for my video/photo editing needs
*fixed

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #174,139 of 177,747

Ugh yea I can imagine who's who just by reading through it. They have gotten worse... before the "new gui" was forced down our throats the existing driver worked pretty good actually. I had no complaints! The new GUI and the drivers following it have been... terrible... again I'm not even able to run the GUI, it just crashes when I try to open it, I HAVE to update it to get the GUI to start working... and then the Card get's locked into a low memory speed zone... so again I'm just kinda stuck :/

I guess I'll have to switch over to the Graphics Mafia here soon

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #174,140 of 177,747
I feel like the problem is that AMD is trying to do everything all at once. NVIDIA on the other hand is still doing their team infiltrating strategy with games just with drivers. AMD knows OpenGL inside and out, it's not like they're incompetent.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #174,141 of 177,747
I feel like the problem is that AMD is trying to do everything all at once. NVIDIA on the other hand is still doing their team infiltrating strategy with games just with drivers. AMD knows OpenGL inside and out, it's not like they're incompetent.

I've not thought about it that way honestly hopefully they'll reach a stable point once again before their next venture into more "new" territory, I love the hardware... just need some improvement on the software front

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #174,142 of 177,747
It's kind of strange because they're not in the middle of a huge architecture change. They're still under GCN. Unless they're changing a lot under the hood of the GCN moniker they have even less of an excuse than NVIDIA to not get their OpenGL drivers working.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #174,143 of 177,747
my Jpop knowledge is extremely limited. my Kpop knowledge is PSY, Wonder Girls, and I assume samsung ringtones could count? basically I know so little, I don't even imagine something can come from Korea and belong to another musical genre. I guess 500 hundred years ago, they had tribes singing Kpop around a fire at night.

could my world view be slightly incomplete? naaaahhhhhh.
I suppose they do

K-pop>J-pop
J-rock>K-rock

Just gonna leave this here again:

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #174,144 of 177,747
Ugh yea I can imagine who's who just by reading through it. They have gotten worse... before the "new gui" was forced down our throats the existing driver worked pretty good actually. I had no complaints! The new GUI and the drivers following it have been... terrible... again I'm not even able to run the GUI, it just crashes when I try to open it, I HAVE to update it to get the GUI to start working... and then the Card get's locked into a low memory speed zone... so again I'm just kinda stuck :/

I guess I'll have to switch over to the Graphics Mafia here soon

Kinda agree with that.

Have been away from my AMD GPU for a while so things may have changed I guess.

I really didn't have much complaints with my AMD GPU during the time I've used it extensively but not quite the same for Nvidia so I'm heavily biased.

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #174,145 of 177,747
Kinda agree with that.

Have been away from my AMD GPU for a while so things may have changed I guess.

I really didn't have much complaints with my AMD GPU during the time I've used it extensively but not quite the same for Nvidia so I'm heavily biased.

Interestingly, I'm complaining about how un-stable the current AMD Drivers are...my first AMD Card was a night mare, took me 3 months to stabilize it, the next two were amazing! An my most recent one... well the GUI is defective, and a full uninstall, clear the registry entries, and re install didn't help

So I'm sitting here contemplating going to nVidia and it sounds like your thinking to go back to AMD xD

Aug 2, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #174,148 of 177,747
My last AMD card was... well, it was an ATI card then. The 9800pro. It was great. Now I have a Nvidia 970 that gives me black screens and crashes around weekly. Initially hoped it's just a driver issue with Chrome (since it was a thing then, mostly happened with Vivaldi open and never happened under heavy load) and that it's gonna get resolved in later drivers, but it wasn't and I'll probably RMA it while I still can.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #174,149 of 177,747
my best experience was the ATI rage 128, like 2.7 eternities ago. when I got a new computer I obviously went for a Radeon because I was a happy ATI customer. the card was dead on arrival, I got it replaced and spent a full day trying to solve what I hoped were driver problems. next day I sent it back, got a Nvidia and never looked back because that's the sort of ungrateful Judas I am.

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #174,150 of 177,747
My last AMD card was... well, it was an ATI card then. The 9800pro. It was great. Now I have a Nvidia 970 that gives me black screens and crashes around weekly. Initially hoped it's just a driver issue with Chrome (since it was a thing then, mostly happened with Vivaldi open and never happened under heavy load) and that it's gonna get resolved in later drivers, but it wasn't and I'll probably RMA it while I still can.

yikes that's gross, I've never had a black screen crash... or any kinds of crashing with my AMD though I always buy Sapphire cards [with the extra fans] the only problem I has is I can't overclock this one with the current GUI, and my Video's still tear... not gaming but movies and the like -.- might be my screen but I have to fiddle with my MPC settings on a case by case basis to try an mitigate it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back