「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 21, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #119,161 of 177,745
Theres two muffins in a oven one muffin turns to the other and says man its getting hot in here the other muffin turns and replies OMG a talking muffin hehehe

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #119,162 of 177,745
  His opinion counts because he designs amps that are famous among audiophiles for their sound.

Ultimately, the only thing I care about is the sound quality. Unless you've heard a component yourself and had the chance to do extensive comparisons, you're not really qualified to judge on such matters. Most people criticize things for being overpriced and not worth it. This may be true, but is beside the point for uncompromising individuals who want the best. (If you can demonstrate that a cheaper product is superior to a much more expensive one, more power to you; but conjecture holds no value to me.)

Still his own creation he is talking about here so.....

Isn't it common sense that it is impossible to justify the price of e.g. a pair of speakers for $500k? Okay, the price might be okay if they are made out of solid gold.
Oh, more power to said "uncompromising individuals". This stuff is totally geared towards people who give a damn if their new amp costs 20k or 30k. If you are thinking about getting one of these you are already at a point in life where you are basically pooping money.
Don't even get me started on speakers. No common sense there after a certain price point.
Take a look at Rins website if you want to see some expensive gear losing (speak: measuring worse) against cheaper one: http://rinchoi.blogspot.de/

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #119,163 of 177,745
Yeah, yeah, but I was speaking in general terms. There's obviously no reason to use that type of amp with the FSP; it was just an example to illustrate my point of neutrality being merely one aspect of sound.

All I know is that I have heard amazing things about the DX90 + FSP combo and how it beats some four figure systems.

Interesting, and I just found this.

Not yet, but still might, depending on the RWAK...to be fully honest I am a bit pissed that I followed people's opinion and tried the 240. It is a very good player, and I am not as disapointed as I was with the 120, but I do not find it to be the DAP that walks on water some people make it to be...people cannot help to judge based on price. Trust your ears people, they are the only ones who must be truthful as they have to live with you afterwards.

I've gotten a few PMs from people who own the AK240, but find themselves disappointed at how they've spent their funds. I may have a go at it soon myself.

A suggestion...

Instead of dumping even more money into the AK240, why not get the DX90? The same people who sent me those PMs also said the DX90 is equal, if not preferable, to the AK240's SQ, and the UI is pretty good too. My experience with high end DAPs has left me somewhat sour, but it may be worth checking into for you. For 1/5th of the cost of the AK240, I don't think you have anything to lose.

Also check out the Light Harmonic Geek Out if you can. I find that it destroys everything I've heard in the DAP world, even the HM901.

After having heard the Geek Out, it sounds pretty close, if not a tad bit better, than the Objective DAC/Objective 2 reference rig I have. I can't wait to see how the Geek Wave compares if their first Geek product already does such a good job. As such, that's exactly why I won't spend more than $300 on a portable media player: desktop quality sound in a portable media player is only a few thousand dollars away. I'll just bring along the ODAC/O2, or the Geek Out in that case, if I really need that kind of sound quality on the go. It's kind of sad really.

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #119,164 of 177,745
Jul 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #119,166 of 177,745
Never heard of this, so it's just a coincidence, lol

Lol, I hope not, I just drew it up with my finger on my phone at lunch.

Maybe I should TM the name lol.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #119,168 of 177,745
After having heard the Geek Out, it sounds pretty close, if not a tad bit better, than the Objective DAC/Objective 2 reference rig I have. I can't wait to see how the Geek Wave compares if their first Geek product already does such a good job. As such, that's exactly why I won't spend more than $300 on a portable media player: desktop quality sound in a portable media player is only a few thousand dollars away. I'll just bring along the ODAC/O2, or the Geek Out in that case, if I really need that kind of sound quality on the go. It's kind of sad really.

I'd really like to get myself a Geek Out... I remember hearing about it, but that was before I had my cans so I didn't put much thought to it. Have they released any information on when the pre-orders will ship?

biggrin.gif

As long as I'm posting stuff that was painful to art on my phone with my fat finger:

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #119,171 of 177,745

You can't. Doesn't really matter since no one here care about how much you post. Double/triple/quadpost? No big deal! Well most of the time.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #119,173 of 177,745
  Still his own creation he is talking about here so.....

Isn't it common sense that it is impossible to justify the price of e.g. a pair of speakers for $500k? Okay, the price might be okay if they are made out of solid gold.
Oh, more power to said "uncompromising individuals". This stuff is totally geared towards people who give a damn if their new amp costs 20k or 30k. If you are thinking about getting one of these you are already at a point in life where you are basically pooping money.
Don't even get me started on speakers. No common sense there after a certain price point.
Take a look at Rins website if you want to see some expensive gear losing (speak: measuring worse) against cheaper one: http://rinchoi.blogspot.de/

Well, I do like the idea of having my own audio equipment company that doesn't resort to hype, but instead develops technology entirely focused on delivering the best sound at the best price. But it's just an idea. Actually pulling it off is no small feat.

On the other hand, high-end gear is targeted to high-end buyers. Those who can't afford it complaining about the price is somewhat comedic. Same goes for supercars. No one needs them, but they sure are great to look at, hear about, and experience for yourself.

I understand the law of diminishing returns; however, for some people, that extra bit of quality is worth it to them. Value is a subjective thing. The entire concept of summit-fi, hi-fi, or whatever you want to call it is getting the best there is regardless of cost. If the best there is is actually something far cheaper, great!

As for me, I am mainly curious about hearing how all the stuff out there sounds. I know I said I don't usually read anime reviews, but audio reviews are different. I love hearing what people think about what they hear when it comes to music.

It's disrespectful towards the countless people who have invested their hard-earned money to tell them that they have wasted it, when in fact, many of their lives have been greatly enriched as a result. Speakers made of solid gold would have nothing to do with sound quality, so you are avoiding the issue there.

To sum it all up: if you're not into it, it would be best to discuss things you are into.

Interesting, and I just found this.

I saw most of that before, as well as a few other reviews saying the DX90 sounds almost as good, equal to, or even better than the AK240. I have no comment, as I haven't heard them.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #119,175 of 177,745

I'd really like to get myself a Geek Out... I remember hearing about it, but that was before I had my cans so I didn't put much thought to it. Have they released any information on when the pre-orders will ship?

Eyaaaaaaah...about that. >.>

Their products may sound good, but their customer service is pretty darn bad. I don't want to say they're as bad as Comcast, but they're one of the ones on the bottom of my list. Supposedly pre-orders are shipping now. I had to send mine back thinking it was defective due to a hissing sound with the low-impedance output. I'm hoping they fulfill what I requested since I apparently had one of the last blue Geek Out 450 units.

Bah...proper BBCode doesn't work here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back