「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jun 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #79,996 of 177,745
Oh. Yeah it's similar to Rockbox since you can:
  1. Browse by file directory
  2. Browse by music tags

I wonder if FiiO implemented that as a result of the people in the ORIGINAL X3 thread when people were asking if Rockbox could be installed on it. For me, browsing by file directory is much more efficient than with standard music tags. I can't find schiit with my iPhone sometimes.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #79,997 of 177,745
So it's like Rockbox then in terms of song navigation?

Some people in the AK120 thread claim there's a difference in sound quality between FLAC and WAV. If that's the case, the AK120 does a poor job of unzipping the FLAC file. I ain't going to use WAV on a portable media player, not to mention the complete lack of file tags.

In the same thread, some people claim there's a difference in audio quality between a 64 GB SD card and a 32 GB one. What.

Sounds like a snake oil consuming cult out there.
(Half) joke aside, isn't the 32gb and 64gb using different architecture/structure? Could be due to that IF ever possible at all.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #80,000 of 177,745
I don't care thaaat much for super mega big storage capacity. I never manage to fill the 32GB of my Cowon J3. I just keep changing the music that is on there instead of just loading everything from my PC on it and make a giant mess.
I'll get myself a X3 mainly for the built-in amp.
My SM64 (96 Ohm) neeeeed the power!

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #80,001 of 177,745
I watched "Kids on the Slope" (directed by same guy who did Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo) with my friend and man did it make us cry... It was very nostalgiac and I felt like there was a huge hole in my heart kind of like the first time you loved someone or got broken up with. But, those were happy tears. I will never watch that show again in my life and the jazz music they had on the show was suberb. SUBERB! I refuse to listen to the soundtrack until after a few months because I really need some time letting these feelings out. The show really touched me (no not like that, silly!).

Definitely check it out. And yes, it has an English dub and it's A+ quality.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #80,002 of 177,745
Quote:
I watched "Kids on the Slope" (directed by same guy who did Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo) with my friend and man did it make us cry... It was very nostalgiac and I felt like there was a huge hole in my heart kind of like the first time you loved someone or got broken up with. But, those were happy tears. I will never watch that show again in my life and the jazz music they had on the show was suberb. SUBERB! I refuse to listen to the soundtrack until after a few months because I really need some time letting these feelings out. The show really touched me (no not like that, silly!).

Definitely check it out. And yes, it has an English dub and it's A+ quality.

On my to-watch list :)

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #80,003 of 177,745
Quote:
I don't care thaaat much for super mega big storage capacity. I never manage to fill the 32GB of my Cowon J3. I just keep changing the music that is on there instead of just loading everything from my PC on it and make a giant mess.
I'll get myself a X3 mainly for the built-in amp.
My SM64 (96 Ohm) neeeeed the power!

.........I don't think NEED is a necessary word there.

Most earphones are really sensitive, regardless of their resistance.

Apple In-ear 2013: 0.02 mW to reach 90 dB SPL - 49 Ω
Astrotec AM90: 0.01 mW to reach 90 dB SPL - 57 Ω
Audeo PFE 232: 0.09 mW to reach 90 dB SPL - 46 Ω
Creative Aurvana In Ear 3: 0.00 mW to reach 90 dB SPL - 86 Ω
Grado GR8: 0.01 mW to reach 90 dB SPL - 99 Ω
HiFiMAN RE-262: 0.01 mW to reach 90 dB SPL - 149 Ω

Even if your earphone needed 0.1 mW to reach 90 dB SPL (which is what portable headphones typically need, if even), you would only need 12.8 mW of power to reach 111 dB SPL, and that's plenty loud. Most amplifiers can supply more power than that at 100 Ω.

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #80,005 of 177,745
I just did some further tests on Project-IA and found something interesting......
as I was calibrating the E-MU interface, It seems that its performance varies from where I put it.

E-MU 5 ft. away from P-IA

E-MU on top of P-IA power supply:

E-MU on top of P-IA transformer:

E-MU on top of P-IA power supply with fans disconnected:

So it seems like the culprit is infact the switching converter and not the fan
Both the transformer and Switching converter are spewing EMI like crazy, but the transformer seems to be far enough to not cause problems.

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #80,006 of 177,745
Quote:
.........I don't think NEED is a necessary word there.

Most earphones are really sensitive, regardless of their resistance.

Apple In-ear 2013: 0.02 mW to reach 90 dB SPL - 49 Ω
Astrotec AM90: 0.01 mW to reach 90 dB SPL - 57 Ω
Audeo PFE 232: 0.09 mW to reach 90 dB SPL - 46 Ω
Creative Aurvana In Ear 3: 0.00 mW to reach 90 dB SPL - 86 Ω
Grado GR8: 0.01 mW to reach 90 dB SPL - 99 Ω
HiFiMAN RE-262: 0.01 mW to reach 90 dB SPL - 149 Ω

Even if your earphone needed 0.1 mW to reach 90 dB SPL (which is what portable headphones, typically need, if even), you would only need 12.8 mW of power to reach 111 dB SPL, and that's plenty loud. Most amplifiers can supply more power than that at 100 Ω.

Well....then I won't get this thing mainly for the power aspect. There are already people who said that the J3 sounds liveless compared to the X3, so I guess that it would be a nice upgrade. I also read that it's close to AK100 performance, and that is a good thing, considered how much the X3 cost, right? :)
I also want to try HD tracks. 24 bit etc.

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #80,009 of 177,745
Quote:
I just did some further tests on Project-IA and found something interesting......
as I was calibrating the E-MU interface, It seems that its performance varies from where I put it.

Both the transformer and Switching converter are spewing EMI like crazy, but the transformer seems to be far enough to not cause problems.

So does a simple Faraday cage solve it?

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #80,010 of 177,745
Yay, in California now :D

Hmm, what are you gonna be able to do about it? :S

Also re-measured FR and Phase response of Project-IA:

Interface compensated frequency response:

Interface compensated phase shift:
(glitch at 4.5kHz is caused by noise)

Niceu niceu, any reason the phase is slightly off in the upper frequencies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back