☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Apr 21, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #979 of 5,932
Logical assumption based on what?

well, can be reasonable assumption if you think about the profit margins & mark-ups in this industry. dunno exactly what percentage would be accurate though. the underlying premise makes sense though.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #981 of 5,932
well, can be reasonable assumption if you think about the profit margins & mark-ups in this industry. dunno exactly what percentage would be accurate though. the underlying premise makes sense though.

Aren't you forgetting the most important factor? - sound quality!!

I.can buy 600 bucks worth of components - but would the combination of them sound good??

Knowledge should count for something IMHO

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #982 of 5,932
Apr 21, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #983 of 5,932
Honestly, I am curious to know how this fares against the competition, particularly the Lyr 2. I'm guessing the price is based on it being transportable and having a balanced input/output so clearly not targeted to me since I only care about the single-ended sound but the comparisons would be nice. Especially since this is just a limited price only so it will only go up in price and I have no idea how it performs against the competition. I think in the end, this isn't the right choice for me as I'm just seeking headroom for the future.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #984 of 5,932
Aren't you forgetting the most important factor? - sound quality!!

I don't think there is really any linear correlation between price and sound quality. imo. more expensive gear doesn't always sound better.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #985 of 5,932
  Honestly, I am curious to know how this fares against the competition, particularly the Lyr 2. I'm guessing the price is based on it being transportable and having a balanced input/output so clearly not targeted to me since I only care about the single-ended sound but the comparisons would be nice. Especially since this is just a limited price only so it will only go up in price and I have no idea how it performs against the competition. 

I have a lyr 2, so I can do comparisons for you... in like 4+ months though hahaha

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #986 of 5,932
  I have a lyr 2, so I can do comparisons for you... in like 4+ months though hahaha

I will most probably have a lyr 2 by then lmao. Good thing they're unbelievably easy to resell if necessary. It's unbelievable how little competition there is at this price point though, at least in the most popular products here. Compared to the competition in the close to $1k and over that price point. Amps just mostly seem to be either $200 / less or in the 1k+ ballpark. 

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #988 of 5,932

I will most probably have a lyr 2 by then lmao. Good thing they're unbelievably easy to resell if necessary, partly thanks to the warranty. It's unbelievable how little competition there is at this price point though, at least in the most popular products here. Compared to the competition in the close to $1k and over that price point. Amps just mostly seem to be either $200 / less or in the 1k+ ballpark. 

That Warranty isn't transferable.  I emailed Jason a couple of years ago about a Bifrost and Valhalla I had bought used and the warranty is for the original purchaser only.

It's possible they changed that policy since then, this was about 2 years ago.

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #989 of 5,932

Taking into account R&D and marketing time and expense I'm guessing the net profit isn't nearly what one would think, even if the markup is substantially more than the COGS, especially for low volume/high engineered products like Dr. Alex's amps. And I do hope that he makes a good profit - he's earned it IMO.

And I had to laugh a little bit given your screen-name! 

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #990 of 5,932
Did you jump on board?

heh!! yup. figured why not? sure there will be a lot of other interested people if I end up not liking it. don't mind giving other head-fiers a good discount :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back