☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run!
Apr 8, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #317 of 1,260
Its 1100 cad with usps international priority plus i have to pay tax on top of it... I wish it was a deposit like every other cavalli product but its understandable whu they did it.

Yea as usual shipping internationally is not too much fun unfortunately. Shipping to Portugal (with the cheapest USPS international option) + tax ends up at the equivalent of 1150 usd - shame the deposit is in full straight up, though as you said it is absolutely understandable it needs to be that way.

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #319 of 1,260
CAD is getting better imo. Better than what we had couple of months ago where it sank under 70 cents which was brutal. I wouldnt really consider grabbing a LC if it continue to be under 70.

First run cost me $980 Canadian with the most expensive shipping option. Damn exchange rates 

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #320 of 1,260

Yep, not a bonus for the Windows world.  I use JRivers  software (wasapi) played though USB through a Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC, and I'm very happy with sound.

If I might ask, do you use JRIVER to rip CD's to FLAC files and also for playback? That would be simpler for myself as I could ditch dbpoweramp and Foo Bar and replace it with just one software product? Appreciate the feedback.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #321 of 1,260
  If I might ask, do you use JRIVER to rip CD's to FLAC files and also for playback? That would be simpler for myself as I could ditch dbpoweramp and Foo Bar and replace it with just one software product? Appreciate the feedback.

I now rip using Pono Music World which is simply JRiver with the Pono name over it. Used it to re-rip all my old CDs to flac. It was the only program I've tried that found both track listings AND album art for 95% of my collection.

Before that I was using EAC and Album Art Downloader but that combo was becoming too tedious. JRiver was so much easier to rip with that I redid almost 100 CDs in about a week (took my time popping discs in/out too).

Still use Foobar for playback (I prefer the simpler looking interface) but can't go wrong using JRiver for playback as well.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #322 of 1,260

Not to interrupt, but JRiver rips CD's well and easily.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #324 of 1,260
It is a real shame how we in the west are able to buy and ship from certain countries for peanuts, while placing exorbitant charges on each other. Specifically between Canada and the US as a good example.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #326 of 1,260
Apr 8, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #327 of 1,260
  Do you guys consider this is a better way to rip CD's to lossless files or is iTunes on a MAC just as good (but limited to producing AIFF files instead of FLAC).

I use a Mac and ripped all my CDs with iTunes to Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC). I don't recommend AIFF as there is no compression. ALAC is lossless, just like FLAC. You can even use the free XLD to convert between them. ALAC can be played natively on all Apple devices, and most others as well. ALC is Open Source <https://alac.macosforge.org/>.

iTunes makes is dead simple. In iTunes preferences just set "When a CD is inserted:" to import and eject. Change the Import Settings to Apple Lossless Encoder, then rip.

I took all my CDs and stacked them next to my desk and fed them into iTunes until I was done. Have them "in the way" really helped to push me to finish :)

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #328 of 1,260
does Jrivers work on MacBook Pro?
smily_headphones1.gif

They have a version for windows, Mac OSn and Linux. You can get one for a specific Os or a master which includes all. Seems pretty solid, may switch over the weekend to trial version and see how well it works as both ripper and player, little bit more than dbpoweramp and foo bar but convenience is worth something. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #330 of 1,260
does Jrivers work on MacBook Pro?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, there is a version of JRiver Media Center for MACs!  I prefer to store my rips uncompressed.  The less work the CPU has to do, uncompressing a compressed file, the less it will interfere with playback from a timing/jitter perspective.  Yes, it requires more storage space but, to me, it sounds better.  I used to have all FLAC but re-ripped or converted to WAV using the batch feature of DBPoweramp.

Sorry I digress as we get a little off topic here.  Won't happen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back