“Wireless” Headphone with integrated mp3 player (w/pic for DIY)
Jan 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

zzffnn

Headphoneus Supremus
Pictures first:

Picture 1: I have moved the Sansa Clip to the inner headband and moved it down a little bit but it otherwise looks similar like this:

Picture 2: Creative Aurvana Live headphones with the removable single entry able and without the Sansa Clip:

Picture 3: the modified CAL with Clip on my head (Note they work without noticeable cables!):

As you can see, these are basically CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) modified to contain a Sansa Clip inside the headband. They can alternate in either “wireless” or “wired” mode:
1) “Wireless”, powered by the integrated Sansa Clip; or
2) Wired, simply insert the removable single entry cable and the wireless mode will be immediately terminated. So I can use them with an iPhone in the pocket of my pants.

I got a basic idea from Headfier “rhalf” / Ralph at this thread:      

http://www.head-fi.org/t/536320/ralphtx-htx7-modded-in-an-unusual-way#post_7954788   

Brian “Pingupenguins”/ at BG Audio took my rough idea and created this gem. He did the following:

1) Enable switchable inputs to the CAL (one input from the integrated Sansa Clip and the other from the removable single entry cable)
2) Converted the dual entry cable to single entry by routing one cable through the headband.
3) MarkL mod the CAL to tighten the bass.
4) Velcro the Sansa Clip to the headband (the Sansa can still be removed easily).
5) Rockboxed the Sansa Clip.

I like Brian’s creation a lot. Because:

1) They sound very good powered by the Clip (MarKL mod and rockbox help a lot here). Sound reference was from well-amped LCD-2s.

2) They are very light, comfortable and can sing in “wireless” mode with a wired sound. I can even jog with my pitbull dog with these on!

3) Cost is very reasonable. I have done some research, the closest commercial product is a discontinued Koss Headphone with 256mb music storage, which looks ugly, heavy and costs USD $100-$150.
Forget about those true wireless headphone/earphones. I have tried the expensive Kleer wireless technology with Sleek Audio’s SA6s. I am not happy with the sound, which lacks resolution, bass and dynamics.

4) The look good on my 2XL sized-head. I have black hairs so it is difficult to see the Sansa Clip.

I am very happy with the results of this project and highly recommend fellow Headfiers to try something similar. I am sure other headphones can be modified in a similar fashion. Brian / “Pingupenguins can offer more DIY details or build you a finished product if you desire.

Thanks for reading my thread and please feel free to comment or ask questions.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 17
We also tried this mod on some Koss Ksc75s, but gave up the idea because of the weight of the Sansa Clip is too much for ksc75s. 
I would like to see if Sennheiser px 100 or 200 ii can be modified in a similar fashion.

Edit: I think V-moda M80 or V80 can also be used this way, since they already have single entry removable cable. All you need is a low profile right angle trs to trs, and mounting Sansa Clip to the metal cip holder using velcro.

Feb 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 17
It would look more streamlined with the Clip oriented vertically rather than horizontally. I guess a thick rubber band or something similar would be needed, so the Clip's clip could be clipped to it on the headband.

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for your comment, JK1. I actually have the CAL that way (Clip attached vertically to the inner headband of CAL, please see the photo on my head).

With V80 and Clip in the vertical orientation, however,  fit and comfort is not as good as horizontal outside mount. On my head, V80's headband does not have that much of space for a comfortable inner mount.  YMMV. Edit 2: V80s / M80s have retractable/adjustable headband. If too much inner headband space is used to mount Clip, your headband may not be adjustable any more (thus can not fit into the carry case). 

Edit 3: Another headphone that can be modified this way is Shure 840s. They have plenty of room in their headband and a single entry cable that is removable (all you need to do is to make a right angle trs-trs cable with Shure's locking trs plug on one side).

I guess the ultimate / best looking solution is to have a pair of headphone with a mp3 player integrated to inside of a driver cup, however that is probably not an easy DIY project.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 17
I found a super slim/light headphone (w/ 30mm driver) with iPod Shuffle integrated here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/983110193/oddio1-cord-free-shuffle-headphones?play=1&ref=users

Sadly it has not made it to production. If it sounds close to Koss Ksc75s, I would say it is is surely worth $35-50.

Edit: Here is a picture of the "oddio1" headphones. Very cool design!

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 17
i like the Wireless aspect, but hate apple :p

very elegant mods to your CAL

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 17
Yeah! Finally another response to this thread!

Thank you WiR3D for your kind words!

That CAL mod actually took a lot of time (because stock CALs have non-detachable double entry cables and a thin headband). When Sansa Clip is attached to inner headband of CAL, you would not notice the Sansa Clip that much on wearer's head (Clip is barely visible among my black hairs). That CAL mod is quite practical, functional and comfortable. CAL sound quite good straight out of the integrated Sansa Clip too.

Mod for VMODA V80s is very easy and reversible in one second. All you need is a low profile interconnect cable with male right angle trs plugs, for connecting Sansa Clip and V80s. The Sansa Clip does look a little too big for V80s; but hey, you can easily take off the Sansa Clip and IC cable in one second to get your regular V80s. I really like the modular design of V80s, especially their single entry detachable cable. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
Yeah! Finally another response to this thread!

Thank you WiR3D for your kind words!

That CAL mod actually took a lot of time (because stock CALs have non-detachable double entry cables and a thin headband). When Sansa Clip is attached to inner headband of CAL, you would not notice the Sansa Clip that much on wearer's head (Clip is barely visible among my black hairs). That CAL mod is quite practical, functional and comfortable. CAL sound quite good straight out of the integrated Sansa Clip too.

Mod for VMODA V80s is very easy and reversible in one second. All you need is a low profile interconnect cable with male right angle trs plugs, for connecting Sansa Clip and V80s. The Sansa Clip does look a little too big for V80s; but hey, you can easily take off the Sansa Clip and IC cable in one second to get your regular V80s. I really like the modular design of V80s, especially their single entry detachable cable. 

Elegant and effective :)

I'm going to mod my K242HD later on, D2k pads, detachable cable, and then housing, also maybe headband, the plastic inspires no confidence.

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #11 of 17
@ WiR3D,

Beyer pads may fit your AKG K242HD as well. If you want shallower pads than stock, you can simply compress stock ones with something heavy. If you want deeper pads, you may insert some tubes underneath the stock pads. I am using tubes under pads of my CAL. I found latex tube to be not firm enough to make pads deeper, foam or cotton to affect sound too much, vinyl tube to be pretty good.

My builder can let you know his source for trs female jack (used in driver cup), however his source is in US though.

K242HD's headband would be a good place to clip a Sansa Clip (for wireless mod), although Sansa may not be powerful enough to deliver 100% performance from K242HD.

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 17
Woah this is really cool stuff! Would you say a lot of experience with DIY and soldering would be needed to be able to do these types of mods? (ie. single-entry detachable cables for the CALs/making your own cables) b/c this stuff is really awesome. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 17
Thank you lzeekio for your comment!

I did not modified the CALs myself as I am not good at soldering (Brian aka Headfier “Pingupenguins” did it for me). I guess you do not need a ton of experience, but you would have to be comfortable with soldering tiny wires and handling headphone driver, which may require delicate work and some good steady hands. Also some suitable tools like a drill will be required. 

VMODA V80 or TMA-1 do not need much work, obviously.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
@ WiR3D,

Beyer pads may fit your AKG K242HD as well. If you want shallower pads than stock, you can simply compress stock ones with something heavy. If you want deeper pads, you may insert some tubes underneath the stock pads. I am using tubes under pads of my CAL. I found latex tube to be not firm enough to make pads deeper, foam or cotton to affect sound too much, vinyl tube to be pretty good.

My builder can let you know his source for trs female jack (used in driver cup), however his source is in US though.

K242HD's headband would be a good place to clip a Sansa Clip (for wireless mod), although Sansa may not be powerful enough to deliver 100% performance from K242HD.

Well I hear mixed reviews about using beyer pads, i liked how it paired with my D2k pads, so i may upgrade my d2k to LA pads, then   i have the pads to spare. :) But i will also try using tubing, and see how that works.

The K242HD needs alot of power, it can be power to adequate levels easily, but need a hell of a lot more power to go to anything close to loud. So i wont bother with the clip mod. 

mmm that would be useful, i contacted AKG, and they said i would be able to source the parts from the k240 studio locally, from the official distributor, but i haven't yet contacted them for a price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back