“Beats by Dr. Dre”
Nov 14, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #422 of 634
I was actually at my local best buy today and tried the pros. The design and construction/material are solid. They are a lot heavier though. No batteries either! The fit was alright, I couldn't tell if there was any leakage either (being at a store, loudness and all) but as soon as you take them off, you could hear these things from 10 feet away.

As far as the sound quality goes, it was alright. $400 for these is a bit too much though. Bass was waaaaaaaaay lower (and under control) and didn't encroach on the mids at all. After switching from the studios, I kinda wish it had a little more "impact". I kept on going back and forth between the pros and the studio. Major difference in every way.

The cable was twice as thick compared to the studios.

I spent about 10 minutes trying them out and comparing the pros and the studios :D

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #423 of 634

Quote:
I was actually at my local best buy today and tried the pros. The design and construction/material are solid. They are a lot heavier though. No batteries either! The fit was alright, I couldn't tell if there was any leakage either (being at a store, loudness and all) but as soon as you take them off, you could hear these things from 10 feet away.

As far as the sound quality goes, it was alright. $400 for these is a bit too much though. Bass was waaaaaaaaay lower (and under control) and didn't encroach on the mids at all. After switching from the studios, I kinda wish it had a little more "impact". I kept on going back and forth between the pros and the studio. Major difference in every way.

The cable was twice as thick compared to the studios.

I spent about 10 minutes trying them out and comparing the pros and the studios :D

I tried them too, the clamping force was worse than the M50....those with delicate craniums beware, not sure about the sound quality since I the demo station purposely chose songs which would sound good for those cans. though you could listen to your own music with the studio HDs, with some songs, the flaws quickly become obvious

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #425 of 634

Quote:
What are good alternatives to this in terms of in-ear buds? I listen to mostly rap and hiphop.

the monster pro turbine coppers/golds happen to be their cousins/brothers/sisters/relatives/however you think they're related are liked by many on head-fi, I suggest checking those out

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #427 of 634
i'm not rich by any means, but i got upgraded to first class on a flight from peurto rico, through JFK, to LAX; anyway, on the flight from JFK to LAX it was filled with (suprise suprise) tons of hip "director/producer/agent" types, and the guy sitting next to me turned out to be some sort of director of commercials. anyway, he had a macbook, and an iphone (of course), and he had some headphones that i couldn't place. then i find out that they were the "studio" model of this brand, and it all comes into place.

this stuff represents everything i hate about pop culture. if you look into MONSTER, the company, they are really evil. they've sued all sorts of companies with "moster" in the name, like they own the word 'monster". even, get this, a mini golf course. add to that that they make cables that are ridiculously expensive, and completely mediocre.

it makes tons of sense to me that they would create a brand of phones like this, which is just basically BOSE for "hip" people. BOSE has a sort of stuffy, older vibe. they brand themselves as "audiophiles", while of course being ****. these guys band themselves as being hip, cool, young. and yet, it's the same ****. am i the only one that just can't understand how in a culture flooded with information accesability, that people would be so damn stupid as to buy things like these, without even a glance online to see that it's all just smoke and mirrors?????

i don't get it. and by the way, i haven't heard these phones, so i can't actually rate them, and i'm not trying to. in fact, and of course, it's presumptious of me to make a judgement without doing so, but just the fact that they're made by MONSTER, and just the feel i get by looking at them, and the adds for them, and i think i can't be too far off in my understanding of what's going on here.

certainly doesn't make me confused as to why america is known as the country without culture. we just can't seem to get over the bridge of BS to the land of truth. we define everything by what it appears to be, what it is on the outside, and that makes it possible for manufacturers like this to make something that is truly hollow on the inside.

people aren't looking for great sound with these, they're looking to be "seen" a certain way. and living a life with that attitude, man, how lonely it must be when you find out that you're missing the very soul of life itself.

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #428 of 634

Quote:
i'm not rich by any means, but i got upgraded to first class on a flight from peurto rico, through JFK, to LAX; anyway, on the flight from JFK to LAX it was filled with (suprise suprise) tons of hip "director/producer/agent" types, and the guy sitting next to me turned out to be some sort of director of commercials. anyway, he had a macbook, and an iphone (of course), and he had some headphones that i couldn't place. then i find out that they were the "studio" model of this brand, and it all comes into place.

this stuff represents everything i hate about pop culture. if you look into MONSTER, the company, they are really evil. they've sued all sorts of companies with "moster" in the name, like they own the word 'monster". even, get this, a mini golf course. add to that that they make cables that are ridiculously expensive, and completely mediocre.

it makes tons of sense to me that they would create a brand of phones like this, which is just basically BOSE for "hip" people. BOSE has a sort of stuffy, older vibe. they brand themselves as "audiophiles", while of course being ****. these guys band themselves as being hip, cool, young. and yet, it's the same ****. am i the only one that just can't understand how in a culture flooded with information accesability, that people would be so damn stupid as to buy things like these, without even a glance online to see that it's all just smoke and mirrors?????

i don't get it. and by the way, i haven't heard these phones, so i can't actually rate them, and i'm not trying to. in fact, and of course, it's presumptious of me to make a judgement without doing so, but just the fact that they're made by MONSTER, and just the feel i get by looking at them, and the adds for them, and i think i can't be too far off in my understanding of what's going on here.

certainly doesn't make me confused as to why america is known as the country without culture. we just can't seem to get over the bridge of BS to the land of truth. we define everything by what it appears to be, what it is on the outside, and that makes it possible for manufacturers like this to make something that is truly hollow on the inside.

people aren't looking for great sound with these, they're looking to be "seen" a certain way. and living a life with that attitude, man, how lonely it must be when you find out that you're missing the very soul of life itself.

i agree totally. it seems people in canada and the usa seem to just follow trends and act like sheep. they do everything the same as teh other guy to fit in. what happened to being unique. acting like everyone else is creating a bunch of consumer zombies. i personally dont fit in with society because i am diferent. i am rideculed but hay. i dont let it get to me. i am who i am different and unique its better then being a sheep like everyone else. thats why i am glad to walk around with my shure srh750dj's or my pioneer se m390's all of which sound way better then the beats except maybe the pioneers. but they have no appealing looks to them. its all about sound quality for me. i dont care of people look at me funny. rant over.

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #431 of 634
sounds silly but i tried out my brother's beats and was surprised to find out that the headphones didn't operate without batteries. i was always under the impression that the batteries were just for the active noise cancellation feature  

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #432 of 634

Quote:
sounds silly but i tried out my brother's beats and was surprised to find out that the headphones didn't operate without batteries. i was always under the impression that the batteries were just for the active noise cancellation feature  

nope, no battery, no noise cancellation, no music....

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #433 of 634

Quote:

certainly doesn't make me confused as to why america is known as the country without culture. we just can't seem to get over the bridge of BS to the land of truth.

Bad analogy and very incorrect IMO.  America has a culture which includes every culture on the planet, more so than any country in history.  Maybe get out of Colorado a bit more?  Consumerism is cross cultural and your implication of it actually defines it as a culture unto itself.  Just clarifying the semantics.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #434 of 634

Quote:
Quote:

certainly doesn't make me confused as to why america is known as the country without culture. we just can't seem to get over the bridge of BS to the land of truth.

Bad analogy and very incorrect IMO.  America has a culture which includes every culture on the planet, more so than any country in history.  Maybe get out of Colorado a bit more?  Consumerism is cross cultural and your implication of it actually defines it as a culture unto itself.  Just clarifying the semantics.

canada also has a bit of every culture on the planet. in fact i think we may be more multicultural then th usa. but back to the post as we are getting off topic. the beats by dr dre have no use other then they look good to some people and are for bragging rights. the sound quality is terrible for the price you pay. although the sound quality isnt that terrible over all.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #435 of 634

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

in fact i think we may be more multicultural then th usa. 

YGPM.  Btw, Canada has fewer people than Los Angeles.  Plus half of those are French speaking Quebecois.  I find that a difficult proposition to believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back