£100 Earphones for a Samsung Galaxy S2
Jan 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

ZMeshign

100+ Head-Fier
Hello people,

I recently bought a Sennheiser CX-400II (about 1 month ago) and unfortunately now it has broke, the left one aint working anymore. Therefore i'm gonna need a new piece of decent earphones...

The device I use is Samsung Galaxy S II and as it has a crap audio chipset, i'm also considering to buy a FiiO E6 as a portable amp to boost the sound a bit.
I'm also no audiophile, but I can kind of distinguish between crap and good sound. So these are the things that I would like the earphone to have. Bose MIE2 has almost all, but I've read that it's overpriced crap. I have to say that I mostly listen to pop/rock/alternative-rock music (decent everyday music).
  1. Good sound quality with fair bass
  2. Comfort
  3. Noise Isolation
  4. Around £100
  5. A mic
  6. Maybe some in-line call/volume control? (More importantly for taking calls, if it doesn't have volume control it is fine)
  7. Durable
  8. Sennheiser preferred (other than that please tell me if Bose MIE2 are any good or not for the price)

Thank you

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 49
Jan 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 49
Thank you alot for your reply.
Considering these only have 1 size of buds (as far as I read on Westone's site), are these going to be comfortable enough for long hours of use? It's kinda hard to return an item back to Amazon compared to returning an item to the store so I don't really want to take a risk and buy something that doesn't fit my ears.
Also does it have noise-isolating? I read " isolation from mechanical cable noise"  , what exactly is the "mechanical cable noise"?

And also what do you say about Bose MIE2? Are they any good? Can you please also give me some other recommendations so I can explore some others before I decide to buy these?

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 49
Thanks for replying. But it seems only the NE-700M has a mic that is only in "Smoky Bronze" colour. Any other alternatives with a better normal colour? These are cool but I really don't like their colour.
EDIT: How does the Westone compare to these anyway?

Thank you again

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 49

Quote:
Thanks for replying. But it seems only the NE-700M has a mic that is only in "Smoky Bronze" colour. Any other alternatives with a better normal colour? These are cool but I really don't like their colour.
EDIT: How does the Westone compare to these anyway?

Thank you again

Fischer Audio Eterna

The Westone TS-1 is just a Westone 1 with a in-line mic.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 49

Quote:
Exactly which product of that company?
And you didn't say how those Nuforce's compare to Westone's. Or even this Fischer Audio. Which one of them are the best and most durable?

Quoting ljokerl on Westone 1's: "...For audio performance alone, they are simply outclassed by some of the other options on the market."

NE-700M are said to have a fuller and rounder low-end with slightly recessed mids and trebles. They sound slightly bloated at times and can be aggressive.

Eternas: "...The sound of the Eterna is big, smooth, and powerful, but at the same time it is both reasonably detailed and quite forgiving. The Eterna makes a great earphone for movies, for the gym, or just for being out-and-about - it doesn’t fatigue and never becomes boring."

As your S2 does have a lower quality amp/DAC chip it's recommended that you get an IEM that's more forgiving (aka less detailed and sensitive) of poorer sources. Smoother and warmer sounding IEMs seem to be the key.

Build quality of all three IEMs is pretty good. If you are looking at something like the Westone 1 I would recommend the MEElec A151s which have a similar sound signature for less (albeit without a mic).

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 49
Lol I didn't realise that "Eterna" was the product name, sorry :p

So now i'm still stuck between the NE-700M & Eterna. I listen mostly to pop/rock music. So if you were me, which one would you chose considering they are almost at the same price?

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 49

Quote:
Lol I didn't realise that "Eterna" was the product name, sorry :p

So now i'm still stuck between the NE-700M & Eterna. I listen mostly to pop/rock music. So if you were me, which one would you chose considering they are almost at the same price?

If you want a more consumer-oriented sound signature go for the NE-700M. If you want to experience something different then go for the Eterna.

Because the NE-700Ms are more forward and aggressive they can sound really "in your head". Eternas on the other hand sound more spacious. Neither of them are balanced, but oriented for the low-end of the sound spectrum.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 49
Okay, so I think i'm gonna get a pair of the Nuforce's then. However, even if I wanted to get the Fischer one, it is only available in 1 online shop which it is out of stock currently.... No luck! :frowning2:

Thank you all for helping me!

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #13 of 49

Quote:

As your S2 does have a lower quality amp/DAC chip it's recommended that you get an IEM that's more forgiving (aka less detailed and sensitive) of poorer sources. Smoother and warmer sounding IEMs seem to be the key.

The Nuforce one has that specification, doesn't it? Oh and by the way what if I am going to use a Fiio E6 amp with it? Will it still be fine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back