Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Post pics of your builds....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post pics of your builds.... - Page 592

post #8866 of 9535

Pretty much finished my built of "The Wire" over from Diyaudio (I was lucky to snatch the last remaining assembled SE-board ).

This year somehow I am pretty much into real wood, so I had a friend cut a solid one piece frame from Golden Madrona burl... just big enough to house the assembled pcb and the headphone jack. Power comes from the PSU underneath which is covered by a rusty cover made of 3mm soft steel.

The tiny floating front panel is basically held by the headphone jack and lit from behind by an orange LED, signal wiring is solid silver with 5% gold (left over from interconnects) in cotton sleeving. The three aluminum feet contain small neodymium tablets to "snap" the amplifier to the psu.

Sound is really good, even this being "only" the SE-SE it has tons of power, is V E R Y neutral and has bass control bordering brutality. It is also suited for all kinds of music and doesn't have the "coldness" I experienced with some SS gear.

 

 

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

post #8867 of 9535

I just finished my first faceplate/backplate on the mill, and I dare say, It doesn't look a 10th as beautiful and well done as your casework there. Brilliant!

post #8868 of 9535
@stixx
Wow... Your case work looks absolutely professional! biggrin.gif
but no mains insulation? (Last pic - terminals on the IEC and Power Switch)
post #8869 of 9535
Quote:
but no mains insulation? (Last pic - terminals on the IEC and Power Switch)

Thanks guys!

 

And yes, no additional insulation since contacts are firmly soldered. They will not come loose...

and when, there's still fuses. wink.gif

post #8870 of 9535

Here's my rank amateur set of plates for my Gamma2. Doing this because it was a prototype, so the "real" plates didn't fit. As dreadfully as it came out, I'm tempted to try again...My milling technique is definitely in need of some work. Maybe next semester I can learn to use the small scale cnc mill to cut some plates.

700

 

700

DSC02065.JPG 1,110k .JPG file
post #8871 of 9535
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post

Pretty much finished my built of "The Wire" over from Diyaudio (I was lucky to snatch the last remaining assembled SE-board ).

This year somehow I am pretty much into real wood, so I had a friend cut a solid one piece frame from Golden Madrona burl... just big enough to house the assembled pcb and the headphone jack. Power comes from the PSU underneath which is covered by a rusty cover made of 3mm soft steel.

The tiny floating front panel is basically held by the headphone jack and lit from behind by an orange LED, signal wiring is solid silver with 5% gold (left over from interconnects) in cotton sleeving. The three aluminum feet contain small neodymium tablets to "snap" the amplifier to the psu.

Sound is really good, even this being "only" the SE-SE it has tons of power, is V E R Y neutral and has bass control bordering brutality. It is also suited for all kinds of music and doesn't have the "coldness" I experienced with some SS gear.

 

 

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

truly stunning craftsmanship. that has to be one of the best looking builds around. i have to say i love the rusty power supply!

post #8872 of 9535

Thanks kchapdaily wink.gif

post #8873 of 9535

Definitely not a complete DIY, but whatever.  I like playing around acrylic and cases.  Kind of warmup for some real upcoming case work.

 

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

I got a replacement board from Nuforce which went into the original case, this is the one that was pulled and still functions normally as far as I can tell.  You can see that I am off by a mm or two.  Acrylic held together with hot glue since I was just testing the fit.

post #8874 of 9535

A real DIY this time.  Sigma 11 for my Nuforce HDP:

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

700

post #8875 of 9535

Is there a kit I could buy under $50 for small speakers (30W 4ohms) that is hybrid or tubed?

post #8876 of 9535

Since I've yet to build anything headphone-related myself, a couple of speaker photos will have to do:

 

 

 

The veneer (birch) was very fragile and difficult to work with compared to what I've used before. It was, however, the only variety available that was wide enough. The result is aesthetically far from perfect but they sound great :)

They are clones of Duntech Marquis.

 

Finally an older shot of the previous pair I built. These were much easier to work with than the big ones, thanks to smaller surfaces and different veneer(walnut). The design was a joint effort by Gradient and people from the technical university hi-fi club. Finish was originally meant to be dark brown, but the varnish turned out darker than I thought :)


Edited by RubberDuk - 12/13/12 at 6:07am
post #8877 of 9535

Here are some nearfields I threw together.  8 inch Kevlar coned speaker salvaged from some Sony floorstanders.  Box salvaged from some Sony bookshelfs with 7" woofers. Tweeters purchased from parts express for 5 dollars with some 15" P.A. speakers that I bought.  I'll post pictures of the build with the 15s when I finish it.

The midbass is extremely tight and controlled probably due to me filling the box with rockwool and the Kevlar coned drivers, but they don't extend very low because of the small closed box. But the crossover and tweeter sound pretty good to me and the speakers have some great imaging all together.  Im enjoy this virtually 5 dollar build quite a bit.

700

post #8878 of 9535

Freshly finished O2 build.  Standard portable this time (instead of desktop) with translucent red acrylic faceplate and rearplate.

 

 

700

 

700

post #8879 of 9535
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

Freshly finished O2 build.  Standard portable this time (instead of desktop) with translucent red acrylic faceplate and rearplate.

 

 

700

 

700


Nice!

how many O2's have you built already? biggrin.gif

post #8880 of 9535
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1o2r3i4s5 View Post


Nice!

how many O2's have you built already? biggrin.gif

Just two :)  Had enough spare parts to do a second one.  Just received an ODAC that I am going to mount on the underside of the board so I can have battery power plus DAC in this case.  Will be my transportable rig until the HifiM8 arrives next year.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Post pics of your builds....