Please note the following:
1. This is a development beta. Please consider carefully whether you want to upgrade to it. (You can always downgrade back to 2.0)
2. Problems encountered with this firmware may be posted to this thread--please keep the main X5 thread free from clutter regarding bugs on beta firmware.
3. To avoid public misunderstanding, please refrain from posting about bugs and imperfections of the beta firmware outside this beta firmware discussion thread.
Main points of improvement are as follows:
(and then Joe Bloggs is struck down by a case of all-day explosive diarrhea )
Totally cut-down main POINT of improvement is as follows:
Enjoy! More detail to follow tomorrow, after I've hopefully recovered
Update 24 June:
1. As mentioned before, mount the SD card on your PC (e.g. via the X5's storage mode) and import the songs you want playlisted from the SD card to a new list on your player of choice.
2. Export the playlist to an M3U or M3U8 file ON YOUR COMPUTER (e.g. your desktop), not the SD card. This will force the generated playlist to contain full absolute paths for each song as well as a drive letter reference.
3. Open the M3U file in a text editor.
4. If an "#EXTM3U" line is not seen at the top of the file, add it. (without the quotes)
5. Replace all drive letter references (say, "X:") with "TF1:" if the card is to be placed in X5's slot 1, or "TF2:" if in slot 2. (this can be done using a "replace all" action on your text editor)
6. Save the modified file anywhere you like on the card (anywhere where you think it will be easy to find the playlist, e.g. in the root directory or in the same directory where most of the songs themselves are found. Since absolute paths are used the X5 obviously doesn't care where you put them)
Edit 22 June: here's the full changelog:
The following improvements were made over 2.02beta:
1. Added support for M3U playlists and internally generated playlists.
a) Internally generated playlists
Adding songs: through the "add to playlist [+]" icon in the shortcuts menu of the Now Playing interface.
Browsing / deleting playlists: Playlists are shown in the Play by Category menu and available for browsing and deletion.
b) Externally generated M3U playlists stored on the TF are shown via Browse Files and available for browsing.
2. Improved responsiveness of the player to file browsing when there is a large number of songs loaded onto the X5.
3. Fixed issue where songs of 176.4kHz sample rate could not be output through coaxial digital out.
4. Fixed issue where the X5 shows "Media Lib updating" by mistake when a TF card is removed while the X5 is connected to the PC.
5. Fixed issue where after holding down a volume button in lockscreen mode to skip to a previous / next song, one had to wait 3 seconds before holding down the volume button again to skip again.
6. Fixed issue where changing TF cards while playing a song in the Now Playing screen may cause the X5 to hang.
7. Fixed issues with priority order of album art (embedded art should take precedence).
8. Fixed issue where Now Playing screen does not display album name of CUE files as read from the music file it is attached to.
9. Fixed issue where "total no. of songs" and "no. of songs on TF1" are shown to be the same and "no. of songs on TF2" is shown to be zero when number of songs on TF1 exceeds limit.
10. Fixed issue where songs from CUE files are not shown in "Play all" and "Play by Category" if the TF card is formatted in NTFS.
11. Fixed issue where the artist of a track in a CUE file is shown according to the performer tag "per track" in the CUE file in the Now Playing screen while it is only shown according to the performer tag "for the whole CUE" in the "Play by Category" listings.
12. Tracks defined by CUE that are of "unknown genre" are now sorted according to CUE files.
13. Fixed issue where tracks defined by CUE from a TF card formatted in NTFS that are of "unknown album" could not be shown.