Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Cable Gallery!! - Page 730

post #10936 of 13794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post

 

Thanks bro, although im not sure what is "over the third"... if wire 1 will go under 2 and 3, wont it be the wire right to it is the fourth wire? @ v@

My bad, yes forth, not third. I was not counting the actual wire that was being moved.


Edited by Toxic Cables - 1/1/13 at 10:47pm

http://www.toxic-cables.co.uk                  PREPARE TO BE INTOXICATED

 

 

Reply
post #10937 of 13794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Cables View Post

My bad, yes forth, not third. I was not counting the actual wire that was being moved.

 

Thanks! Will do that with my next set of cables!

post #10938 of 13794

The hard part of braiding a 4 wire conductor is the left wire going over the two middle ones.

 

Sometimes my middle wires accidentally cross one another. darthsmile.gif

 

Tim
 

post #10939 of 13794

My first attempt at soldering wires to the plug resulted in this:

700

700

 

Somehow it was hot enough for the plastic to melt... but not hot enough for the solder to melt :(

post #10940 of 13794

use flux, and probably higher heat for less time. 

post #10941 of 13794

@blueangel2323: Tin (melt some solder) the tips of the individual wires first. Also tin the plug parts where you will be attaching the wires. Just a VERY SMALL AMOUNT to each area.

 

Then mate the tinned wire to the tinned plug part. Hold in place with fingers, helping hands, or tweezers. Introduce hot iron tip. Count to 5-Mississippi tops and remove iron. In that time, the two tinned areas should fuse together. Depending on how much/little tinning you did to wire and part, you shouldn't need to introduce additional solder.

 

If you do not achieve a good joint, remove the iron and wait a few minutes before trying again.

post #10942 of 13794

Happy New Year fellow DIYers, my favourite braiding instructions site is this one:

 

http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/howtos.htm

post #10943 of 13794
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

My first attempt at soldering wires to the plug resulted in this:

700

700

 

Somehow it was hot enough for the plastic to melt... but not hot enough for the solder to melt :(

 

Wow, that sucks.  Always tin the wires first.  It doesn't look like you did that.  This can also help you figure out how much heat you need to tin the wires and/or melt the solder so you don't damage the connector that you are soldering to later with too much heat or too prolonged heat.

Tin the solder pads on the plug, too, if that helps you.

post #10944 of 13794
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchang View Post

@blueangel2323: Tin (melt some solder) the tips of the individual wires first. Also tin the plug parts where you will be attaching the wires. Just a VERY SMALL AMOUNT to each area.

 

Then mate the tinned wire to the tinned plug part. Hold in place with fingers, helping hands, or tweezers. Introduce hot iron tip. Count to 5-Mississippi tops and remove iron. In that time, the two tinned areas should fuse together. Depending on how much/little tinning you did to wire and part, you shouldn't need to introduce additional solder.

 

If you do not achieve a good joint, remove the iron and wait a few minutes before trying again.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

 

Wow, that sucks.  Always tin the wires first.  It doesn't look like you did that.  This can also help you figure out how much heat you need to tin the wires and/or melt the solder so you don't damage the connector that you are soldering to later with too much heat or too prolonged heat.

Tin the solder pads on the plug, too, if that helps you.

 

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely tin next time. But there's a first time for everything, right? :)

post #10945 of 13794
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

 

 

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely tin next time. But there's a first time for everything, right? :)

 

No kidding:

 

700

 

My first recable from ~3 years ago or so.

post #10946 of 13794

.


Edited by FLACvest - 2/27/14 at 12:15pm
post #10947 of 13794

So I had this silly idea to make some interconnects with magnet wire.Turned out nicely except for burning off the enamel which is always messy.

 

Twisted pairs, sleeved in teflon:

 

twisted magnet wire teflon tubing

 

Hard to get a close up shot, but you can sort of make out the twist in the below image. 

(click to enlarge)

twisted magnet wire teflon tubing


Edited by Armaegis - 1/3/13 at 12:25pm
post #10948 of 13794

.


Edited by Room40 - 1/4/13 at 7:36am
post #10949 of 13794

1000

 

 

Rewired my friends old Krank channel splitter after the old cable gave up after years of abuse \m/. I just replaced the cable, re-soldered the innards with new jumper wire, used Techflex Toxic Green and a nice, simple Neutrik 1/4" jack. 

post #10950 of 13794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Cables View Post

My bad, yes forth, not third. I was not counting the actual wire that was being moved.

 

sorry for OT! but just tried this earlier and it looks odd, i didnt make the braiding too tight because i want the braid to be somewhat loose/normal

 

from what i understand from your explanation, it goes like this:

 

1 2 3 4

2 3 1 4 ( 1 over 2 and 3)

2 3 4 1 ( 4 over 1)

3 4 1 2 ( 2 under 3 and 4, and over 1)

 

so the braiding actually doesnt go back to 1 2 3 4 position? thanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › DIY Cable Gallery!!