Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) - Page 41

post #601 of 3496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapster View Post

I was thinking of upgrading from tf10 to these, how would you compare the two?

I'm sorry Hapster, can't commend on that as I do not own the TF10. I have on several occasions auditioned the TF10 but never gotten a proper fit thus I don't think I should commend on this. I do like the sound of the TF10 if I use my hand to hold them in place but was some time back. I'm sure there will be fellow members here who with better experience than me can provide a better comparison.
post #602 of 3496
Thread Starter 

I am gonna be honest here. TF10 was a decent phone a few years back.. Yes I do own a pair. Not because I use it all the time but more for my curiosity of why people liked them at one point..To me the FX850 represents what music should sound like. The TF10 is soo how can you say..Souless?. It has a wide stage it has the bass end for fun listening but the sound is kinda digital, Treble kinda artificial..I can completely understand why people like the  TF10 however and end up rehousing the drivers and such with a large thread dedicated to all things TF10 but.. I say onward and upwards.. The FX850 would be more than just a nice alternative to the TF10, it will throw in the one aspect the TF10 is missing for me..A natural sound..

 

They have been discontinued for a reason. I think you would be ecstatic with the FX850..This is coming from one TF10 owner to another.


Edited by Dsnuts - 4/26/14 at 10:41pm
post #603 of 3496

The TF10s really don't compare to be honest.... The mid-range on the TF10 is quite recessed, treble is brittle (sound hollow or empty), and bass wasn't very well controlled. But it was acceptable for me in universal form due to loosing partial seal. In custom form it was too much bass.

 

I'd say if you were going more for the TF10s approach on sound but in an IEM better in every way go for the Flat 4 Sui.

post #604 of 3496
Thread Starter 

Also the IM03 from AT. Which is what the TF10 should have sounded like...Many better alternatives.

post #605 of 3496
Agreed. It was my favorite pair of IEMs for a long time, but tbh it's time has already passed. The recessed mids are a sound signature so I won't comment on that, but treble has an unnaturally tinny tint to it, and while bass is still textured and packs quite some punch, put it toe to toe with recent offerings and it will seem a little lacking.

This coming from owner of 2 pair of TF10s, including 3 cables, including the Lune MkIII.
post #606 of 3496

I never really took to the TF10's. Like others here have said the treble is hollow and too bright. If you want to listen to the best track the just about everyone has that illustrates this is the live version of Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over. It isn't part of the song, it is the end of the song when the audience erupts. Listen to that at a higher volume with some TF10's, I dare you. LOL.

post #607 of 3496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painful Chafe View Post
 

I never really took to the TF10's. Like others here have said the treble is hollow and too bright. If you want to listen to the best track the just about everyone has that illustrates this is the live version of Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over. It isn't part of the song, it is the end of the song when the audience erupts. Listen to that at a higher volume with some TF10's, I dare you. LOL.

You brought up something interesting.  I look to better way to AB my gear, and I don't like to use great sounding recordings like Hotel California.  What I usually do is look for a recording that has some unclear sound, I focus on vocals that sound muffled or unclear.  If it sounds like that with one phone, I switch to another and see if I can hear more clarity.  I really like this method when comparing.  You will notice some phones are a bit hollow and some are more refined, and typically the refined phone you can hear more intricacies.  

post #608 of 3496

It can go both ways though. With the more revealing phone things can turn into an utter mess and sibilance.

post #609 of 3496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post
 

Also the IM03 from AT. Which is what the TF10 should have sounded like...Many better alternatives.

 

 

I was so close to pulling the trigger on those until I saw a post about the FX850 and I trusted the few opinions at the time about how great it was and I'm glad I went with the FX850.  Now maybe down the road I would get the IM03, but I need to sell off some other stuff I have before I should start buying more new stuff.  I also should stay out of the chord hugo, noble audio, and tralucent threads before I can't resist that expensive route of super duper high end stuff.  I must keep telling myself that what I have is already better than what most regular (non head fiers) have and I should just enjoy it.  I just hate that damn disease knowing that there's better out there and I want to buy all of it.  I also have a track car days/amateur racing hobby that is far more expensive that always comes first.  

post #610 of 3496
Is there anyone who has heard all 3 FX650, FX750 and FX850? Can you give a quick comparison in particular on their bass, mid and treble? Is FX850 closer in SQ to 650 or 750? The reason I asked this is because I have heard both the 650 and 750 and I don't like the 750's enhanced bass effect. The 750 has slightly better clarity (when there is not much bass in the audio recording) but I prefer 650's more airy and less boomy bass. The 750's bass was so pronounced that it overwhelms the mids and highs on most of my audio tracks. If 850 is like 750 then I have to give it a miss and probably get the 650 for my casual listening.
post #611 of 3496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post

Is there anyone who has heard all 3 FX650, FX750 and FX850? Can you give a quick comparison in particular on their bass, mid and treble? Is FX850 closer in SQ to 650 or 750? The reason I asked this is because I have heard both the 650 and 750 and I don't like the 750's enhanced bass effect. The 750 has slightly better clarity (when there is not much bass in the audio recording) but I prefer 650's more airy and less boomy bass. The 750's bass was so pronounced that it overwhelms the mids and highs on most of my audio tracks. If 850 is like 750 then I have to give it a miss and probably get the 650 for my casual listening.

 

From the other JVC thread

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

 

Yes, you are. The plan is to send all three on tour by end of the month.

 

Quick first impressions of the "wooden threesome" (aka FX650/750/850):

 

  • FX650/750 have the same fixed cable, with shorter strain reliefs than the FX850 and are easier to wear over-ear than the latter.
  • All three are bass cannons.
  • All three have roughly similar sound signatures.
  • FX750 are very close to FX850 in resolution and refinement.
  • FX650 seem like a step down from FX750/850 (but still sound great).
  • FX650 are less sensitive and need more driving power than FX750/850.
  • j444 mod works great on all of them (lowering bass quantity / improving bass clarity).

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

 

Update on FX750 vs. FX850, after prolonged listening:

 

  • Both are overall at the same sound quality level, but sound signatures are slightly different.
  • Most notable difference: FX750 have more mid/upper bass emphasis, FX850 are more linear throughout the bass range.
  • FX750 have more lower mids warmth, making vocals sound slightly darker than on the FX850.
  • FX850 have more upper mids presence, making (female) vocals sound slightly more in-your-face than on the FX750.
  • Cymbals sound slightly more fleshed-out on the FX750, possibly due to more emphasis in that range or as a side-effect of less forward upper mids.

 

Apart from their unfortunate bass exaggeration (which needs to be taken care of by mod or EQ), I can't stress enough the outstanding realism of both IEMs with acoustic instruments and vocals. They show the limitations even of much more expensive phones in that regard. :smile_phones:

post #612 of 3496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank_Venture View Post
 

 

From the other JVC thread

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

 

Update on FX750 vs. FX850, after prolonged listening:

 

  • Both are overall at the same sound quality level, but sound signatures are slightly different.
  • Most notable difference: FX750 have more mid/upper bass emphasis, FX850 are more linear throughout the bass range.
  • FX750 have more lower mids warmth, making vocals sound slightly darker than on the FX850.
  • FX850 have more upper mids presence, making (female) vocals sound slightly more in-your-face than on the FX750.
  • Cymbals sound slightly more fleshed-out on the FX750, possibly due to more emphasis in that range or as a side-effect of less forward upper mids.

 

Apart from their unfortunate bass exaggeration (which needs to be taken care of by mod or EQ), I can't stress enough the outstanding realism of both IEMs with acoustic instruments and vocals. They show the limitations even of much more expensive phones in that regard. :smile_phones:

 

Ok thanks! I think I can imagine how it sounds like now. "In-your-face" for mids and "exaggerated bass" for lows are something I detest even if I try the mod to counter it. Definitely not something I would like. I prefer IEMs that are very neutral and airy with very strong highs.

post #613 of 3496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post
 

 

Ok thanks! I think I can imagine how it sounds like now. "In-your-face" for mids and "exaggerated bass" for lows are something I detest even if I try the mod to counter it. Definitely not something I would like. I prefer IEMs that are very neutral and airy with very strong highs.

 

I had the chance to borrow both the fx750 and fx850 for a day from James444 and the fx850 mids are absolutely not "In-your-face". I'm sure James meant that they are more upfront only compared to the fx750, which has a little bit scooped mids (similar to fx700 but still very clear and nice though). 

 

The modded fx850 is actually very neutral and smooth throughout, especially the highs are very airy and nice and the j444-mod works wonders to tame the bass! 

 

Seriously, I am actually wondering, that I don't read more impressions on the fx850 with the j444-mod as it totally neutralizes the fq-response of the fx850.

 

It looks very simple and may seem like a joke at first sight, but is indeed very effective. I am normally into earbuds and dislike the bass bloat found in most dynamic IEMs. The fx850 sounded a bit bloated and not that tight in the lows without the mod, and the bass-bloat had an effect on the mids IMO. After the mod, the bloat was gone (completely) and the mids became super clear. 

Just try it, it takes less than a minute and you'll be surprised ;)


Edited by costas23 - 4/27/14 at 9:45am
post #614 of 3496

I know in theory shure cables should fit.  How about Fiio, etc.  Id like to find a nice nylon sheethed cable as the rubber is just too "catchy" if im active.  Has anyone used different cable, (without breaking it, Mochill)

post #615 of 3496
Quote:
Originally Posted by costas23 View Post

I had the chance to borrow both the fx750 and fx850 for a day from James444 and the fx850 mids are absolutely not "In-your-face". I'm sure James meant that they are more upfront only compared to the fx750, which has a little bit scooped mids (similar to fx700 but still very clear and nice though). 

The modded fx850 is actually very neutral and smooth throughout, especially the highs are very airy and nice and the j444-mod works wonders to tame the bass! 

Seriously, I am actually wondering, that I don't read more impressions on the fx850 with the j444-mod as it totally neutralizes the fq-response of the fx850.

It looks very simple and may seem like a joke at first sight, but is indeed very effective. I am normally into earbuds and dislike the bass bloat found in most dynamic IEMs. The fx850 sounded a bit bloated and not that tight in the lows without the mod, and the bass-bloat had an effect on the mids IMO. After the mod, the bloat was gone (completely) and the mids became super clear. 
Just try it, it takes less than a minute and you'll be surprised wink.gif

I did try the mod which worked pretty well, but after a couple hundred hours of play time, the 850 seemed to balance out enough that I felt the mod was no longer needed. It just seems to be one of those phones that need a lot of time to reach their true potential.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)