Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany - Page 9

post #121 of 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post

Music_4321,

Thanks for your first Impressions, very complete. Can you briefly comment on your now sold Audio Technica CK100 compaired to the above.

 

Apologies, I completely forgot to comment on the CK100s.

The CK100s were very, very close sonically to the UM3X (I had both at the same time and was able to do a side-by-side comparison). I preferred the UM3Xs by a hair; I preferred the W4s over the UM3Xs and, from memory, I'd take the FA-4s over the W4s... in a heartbeat, I think! — simply a more lifelike rendering of music overall, a bigger, more speaker-like type of sound. But, perhaps more importantly, I find the FA-4s to do very well with almost anything I throw at them, something most IEMs don't mange to achieve. Again, not perfect, but certainly a lot less imperfect than many $300-$400 IEMs out there.

Now, as you've already noticed, I've not heard the new CK100 Pro, which is said to be different sonically to the CK100 — seems people find the former a sonic upgrade, so who knows how it stacks up against the FA-4s. Reports by several people say build quality is great (no surprises there), ergonomics aren't all that good, and it seems to be a bit too treble-happy though still very good technically, apparently.


Edited by music_4321 - 8/17/13 at 4:00pm
post #122 of 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

!!!


 ???

Lacks something. I think here is the personal taste. Is good for some people, not for others. smily_headphones1.gif
post #123 of 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

Apologies, I completely forgot to comment on the CK100s.

The CK100s were very, very close sonically to the UM3X (I had both at the same time and was able to do a side-by-side comparison). I preferred the UM3Xs by a hair; I preferred the W4s over the UM3Xs and, from memory, I'd take the FA-4s over the W4s... in a heartbeat, I think! — simply a more lifelike rendering of music overall, a bigger, more speaker-like type of sound. But, perhaps more importantly, I find the FA-4s to do very well with almost anything I throw at them, something most IEMs don't mange to achieve. Again, not perfect, but certainly a lot less imperfect than many $300-$400 IEMs out there.

Now, as you've already noticed, I've not heard the new CK100 Pro, which is said to be different sonically to the CK100 — seems people find the former a sonic upgrade, so who knows how it stacks up against the FA-4s. Reports by several people say build quality is great (no surprises there), ergonomics aren't all that good, and it seems to be a bit too treble-happy though still very good technically, apparently.

 

 

Thank you for that.

 

All we need now, for me at least, is for the ASG2, FitEar Parterre and SD3 to be thrown in for a camparison.

post #124 of 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

Apologies, I completely forgot to comment on the CK100s.

The CK100s were very, very close sonically to the UM3X (I had both at the same time and was able to do a side-by-side comparison). I preferred the UM3Xs by a hair; I preferred the W4s over the UM3Xs and, from memory, I'd take the FA-4s over the W4s... in a heartbeat, I think! — simply a more lifelike rendering of music overall, a bigger, more speaker-like type of sound. But, perhaps more importantly, I find the FA-4s to do very well with almost anything I throw at them, something most IEMs don't mange to achieve. Again, not perfect, but certainly a lot less imperfect than many $300-$400 IEMs out there.

Now, as you've already noticed, I've not heard the new CK100 Pro, which is said to be different sonically to the CK100 — seems people find the former a sonic upgrade, so who knows how it stacks up against the FA-4s. Reports by several people say build quality is great (no surprises there), ergonomics aren't all that good, and it seems to be a bit too treble-happy though still very good technically, apparently.

Music, I happen to have CK100PRO and you are spot on: bright sound with great detail, not bassy at all, amazing mids, excellent build quality, but ergonomics....

I spent some days with the FI-BA-SS and what an amazing phone. Now I know what raw sound means. I would dare to say that both share similar sound signatures and if Im not mistaken guess you'd appreciate CK100PRO signature.

Now, if you dont mind compare briefly FA-4S to FI-BA-SS I would greatly apreciate. 

post #125 of 1740

Sect44,

I've noticed you sold your Sony Ex1000, What didn't you like about this phone.?


Edited by Cecala - 8/17/13 at 9:05pm
post #126 of 1740
Thread Starter 
As i said and my friend ghetto from spain forum we share more or less the same opinion with the ex1000 and the fa. We agree and ive been listening to ex1000 over a year, have a wider soundstage (a bit) and more natural textured bass, i've been listening to the fa 4e xb over a month about 6 hours per day well the ex1000 aren't close in technical abilities, the fa4e renders much detail and separation the highs on the fischer have more sparkle and detail and less sibilance, soundstage is close the fischers have way more 3d and separation, bass on the fischer is quick with great punch, i feel there is a hollow in the ex 1000 mids while fa mids are rendered with a touch of warm and great detail and transparency. ex 1000 shines with some kinds of genres but the fa 4e still outclasses them in that genres while perform great with any kind of rock (the ex 1000 can perform well with good recordings in rock and metal but they can sound bad with crappy recordings, the lack of separation of the ex1000 is up there), electronic, etc...it's my opinion ive tried for long periods of time the um3x, sm3v2, se535 and ex1000 all with custom tips and find the um3x to be superior to all of them...well the fa are for me a complete upgrade over the um3x

It's my opinion and other people will prefer different sound signatures after all like mrhizzo

By the way sorry for my bad eng
Edited by Kurdt-bada - 8/17/13 at 11:30pm
post #127 of 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post

 

Thank you for that.

 

All we need now, for me at least, is for the ASG2, FitEar Parterre and SD3 to be thrown in for a camparison.

 

Here's what I wrote in a different thread:

 

"As for the FA-4Es, I've only spent about 2 hrs with them, and for the price (385€, and cheaper possibly if you live outside the EU) they are a pretty impressive IEM, and at half the price of the Parterres, made in Germany, with excellent ergonomics and very good build quality, the FA-4E is a no brainer in my book—so far, at least sonically, that's what my ears tell me, too. But, but, BUT, you know how crazy things get in our so-called hobby, where some of us are prepared to pay a high premium for minimal SQ improvements; bottom line: the Parterres are a more refined and sophisticated phone, with a better tonal balance. Really, words such as "delicate, "smooth", and "sophisticated" are quite fitting to describe this IEM. Again, this is what my ears keep telling me."

 

I should add that those "minimal SQ improvements" may genuinely be considered bigger or smaller depending on what those 'small' differences mean to each individual. Some people, however, as is always the case, will always exaggerate when describing said differences ("night and day" / "...wipes the floor...") simply because of the price difference, the hand-made aspect of FitEars universals, materials used... and availability of these products. In a blind test, however, I'm convinced ordinary people who enjoy music quite a bit would find these differences pretty small and would be pretty shocked at the price difference. Hey, 385€ is A LOT of money already!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sect44 View Post

Music, I happen to have CK100PRO and you are spot on: bright sound with great detail, not bassy at all, amazing mids, excellent build quality, but ergonomics....

I spent some days with the FI-BA-SS and what an amazing phone. Now I know what raw sound means. I would dare to say that both share similar sound signatures and if Im not mistaken guess you'd appreciate CK100PRO signature.

Now, if you dont mind compare briefly FA-4S to FI-BA-SS I would greatly apreciate. 

 

Yes, I think I'd enjoy the CK100 Pro, too.

As for the FI-BA-SS vs FA-4, they're two different beasts. The SS can be merciless with poorly mastered tracks / albums because, as you already know, it's a very revealing phone. The SS won't be harsh like the EX1000 can be with that same poorly mastered material, but it's a phone fewer people would enjoy, I think, specially if they listen to mainstream modern pop, rock and metal. I personally still prefer the SS's tonal balance, which is closer to a reference type of sound (less coloured). With the music the SSs shine with the FA-4s just don't cut it, or don't quite cut it to the same level.

The FA-4, by contrast, is forgiving of poorly mastered albums, ie you can still very much enjoy them, hence my calling them an excellent all-rounder but, unlike the likes of the UM3X, W4, CK100, SE535, SE530, UM2 & SM3, the FA-4 has very good treble presence and extension and also the not so infrequent missing sub-bass presence many IEMs seem to lack.

If people were given the SS & FA-4 in a blind test, I'm pretty sure more people would choose the FA-4 given that it's more speaker like, with a grander (3D) sound and is, therefore, on the whole, a more exciting IEM. If you then add the fact the SS's have a fixed cable that doesn't inspire much confidence…

 

BUT, BUT, I feel I have to remind people that as good as the FA-4 is, it will still not be for everyone.


Edited by music_4321 - 8/18/13 at 1:16am
post #128 of 1740

Great impressions music. The fa4 is starting to catch my attention. Any chance of a brief comparison to the sennheiser ie800? Thanks.

post #129 of 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhgb View Post

Great impressions music. The fa4 is starting to catch my attention. Any chance of a brief comparison to the sennheiser ie800? Thanks.

 

The IE800 is a really good phone SQ-wise, and also a very exciting IEM with a very speaker & headphone type of presentation, but I simply couldn't take so much bass, which, as was the case with the TG334, spoiled quite a few albums I listened to; the Senns worked really well with my then Tera Player but only because the latter had rolled-off bass (!).

 

The FA-4 manages to have a very, very good balance between mid & sub-bass (even if I'd like a tad less mid-bass). From memory, I think the FA-4s sound a bit less congested, too. Now, add to that the short (108cm) and extremely microphonic IE800 cable and, for me personally, the nod clearly goes to the FA-4s. Also, a reminder that the IE800 tips are proprietary, so if you lose one or both of them—they don't lock firmly on the Senn's nozzles—, you'd have to pay about £20, IIRC, to get some replacements.


Edited by music_4321 - 8/18/13 at 2:46am
post #130 of 1740

Again many thanks for the impressions. looks like ill get the fa4's when I have the funds and if I cant get my ie80's fixed. Since I listen to a lot trance, I don't mind a slight mid bass hump.

post #131 of 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post

 

The IE800 is a really good phone SQ-wise, and also a very exciting IEM with a very speaker & headphone type of presentation, but I simply couldn't take so much bass, which, as was the case with the TG334, spoiled quite a few albums I listened to; the Senns worked really well with my then Tera Player but only because the latter had rolled-off bass (!).

 

The FA-4 manages to have a very, very good balance between mid & sub-bass (even if I'd like a tad less mid-bass). From memory, I think the FA-4s sound a bit less congested, too. Now, add to that the short (108cm) and extremely microphonic IE800 cable and, for me personally, the nod clearly goes to the FA-4s. Also, a reminder that the IE800 tips are proprietary, so if you lose one or both of them—they don't lock firmly on the Senn's nozzles—, you'd have to pay about £20, IIRC, to get some replacements.


So at the risk of repetition sd2 or fa4 for rock and metal stuff?  I do long term listening (with breaks) so a non fatiguing sound is a must.  I do a couple of hours and then a break of about half an hour.  Thing about iems is that it's very difficult to try before you buy.  Particularly the smaller brands like stagediver (though I have ruled out the 3)fischer etc.

 

Cheers

post #132 of 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by sect44 View Post

Music, I happen to have CK100PRO and you are spot on: bright sound with great detail, not bassy at all, amazing mids, excellent build quality, but ergonomics....

I spent some days with the FI-BA-SS and what an amazing phone. Now I know what raw sound means. I would dare to say that both share similar sound signatures and if Im not mistaken guess you'd appreciate CK100PRO signature.

Now, if you dont mind compare briefly FA-4S to FI-BA-SS I would greatly apreciate. 

 

I also happen to have the CK100Pro and I'm a bit surprised that some would mention bad ergonomics.

The design actually seem very thought out and if you go beyond the bad stock tips the comfort and fit is very high, well above average. Still a large house design but when comparing them to another large house design like FXZ100/200 they seem like a miracle in ergonomics.

post #133 of 1740
Thread Starter 
Music4321 please try the comply tips 500 in medium provided in the package to see how detailed and clear is the sound, i know you don't like them but spend a bit of time with them you will see
post #134 of 1740

Kurdt-Bada,

I have read a review which states that the Baldur Mk111 cable provides more bass.

I would prefer no more bass been added.

Are you still going to purchase this cable and have you or do you know of cheaper aftermarket cables for the Fa 4?

post #135 of 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post

So at the risk of repetition sd2 or fa4 for rock and metal stuff?  I do long term listening (with breaks) so a non fatiguing sound is a must.  I do a couple of hours and then a break of about half an hour.  Thing about iems is that it's very difficult to try before you buy.  Particularly the smaller brands like stagediver (though I have ruled out the 3)fischer etc.

 

Cheers

 

The SD2 still belongs more or less in the UM3X, W4, UM2 camp, ie, though more neutral than the Westones, it still has some clear warmth to it and a more monitor type of sound, more in your head. The FA-4 sounds more high-end, fuller, clearer; there's more layering, making it clearly more 3D sounding and expansive. The layering and treble energy not only present details more clearly, but the very good layering allows for instruments to find their own space and are, therefore, allowed to breathe, so to speak, and not constantly fight for their place in the 'virtual' stage.

So, which is the right IEM for you? Well, it depends on several things: volume levels, type of music, type of recordings, your own tolerances to certain peaks and dips. The treble on the FA-4s is really, really well done, IMO, it's never 'offensive' like the treble on the EX1000, EX600 and, to a lesser extent, the FI-BA-SS & KAEDE can be on brighter recordings. I do thing the FA-4s are more suitable for fast-paced music.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdt-bada View Post

Music4321 please try the comply tips 500 in medium provided in the package to see how detailed and clear is the sound, i know you don't like them but spend a bit of time with them you will see


Okay, Kurdt-bada, I've finally tried the medium comply tips you've been suggesting and, no, I still prefer the medium silicone tips. I have to say, though, those complys were very comfortable—first time, actually I've had no discomfort of some sort, and SQ was not severely affected. However, I did notice, as I'd suspected, a slight taming of high freqs (thought less than I'd originally anticipated) and an even more pronounced low-end, though only slightly, but noticeable. So, I still prefer the silicone tips which give me a perfect fit and seal and better SQ for my taste. I didn't really notice any more details with the complys, BTW.

 

Those who prefer a bit more bass and just a tad less treble energy might actually prefer those comply tips.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany