Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 97

post #1441 of 2871

Dan, can you shortly explain what are the differences between 3.1 and 3.2 version of the Mad Dogs?

I just bought a 3.1 and I'm very happy with them but I wonder if it's worth returning them to you for an upgrade. I'm in Europe so it will be a bit costly. Thanks

post #1442 of 2871

What has been said about the Mad Dog's bass and why it can be perceived as light is true. Compared to many other headphones, it does have fairly clean, tight bass. The harmonic distortion isn't the lowest ever, but can be noticeably better than some other headphones known to have more bass than the MD (harmonic distortion can give the illusion of there being more bass than there actually is). Then there's the fact that the bass is tuned to be fairly neutral, so if you're used to a bass-heavier sound, it will sound light. On top of that, you have the fairly small ortho driver in the T50RP, which isn't going to put out much in the way of physical impact even if the FR is neutral (less air movement).

 

And while the Modi/Magni is a good entry setup, you will probably get a "bigger" sound with better, more powerful gear. The T50RP scales pretty well with equipment and is surprisingly hard to drive to its fullest potential.

post #1443 of 2871

What is the correct shipping address for the 3.2 tuneup? There is a different address (Quarter Mile Drive is the street) given when you click on the tuneup link while the other shipping address listed on the site is "Hotel Circle North." Also, is it possible to replace the old logo with the new, plain white-font logo as part of the 3.2 for a nominal fee? I like the look a lot more. If not, I'll just get the Vader-dog stickers. I really need to have the shipping address straightened out asap if anybody can help me.

post #1444 of 2871

One more questions, folks. How much of a difference does a balanced amp make? I know diddly about this, but if it's worth it, I may have mine converted to the universal version.

post #1445 of 2871

Just a reminder that I will be offline and not responding on the thread, PMs, or email until after Sept 3.  

post #1446 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

Just a reminder that I will be offline and not responding on the thread, PMs, or email until after Sept 3.  

 

Enjoy some well deserved vacations Dan!

 

;-)

post #1447 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post

What is the correct shipping address for the 3.2 tuneup? There is a different address (Quarter Mile Drive is the street) given when you click on the tuneup link while the other shipping address listed on the site is "Hotel Circle North." Also, is it possible to replace the old logo with the new, plain white-font logo as part of the 3.2 for a nominal fee? I like the look a lot more. If not, I'll just get the Vader-dog stickers. I really need to have the shipping address straightened out asap if anybody can help me.

 

Thanks for pointing that out.  It's fixed on the site now.  Our offices are at MrSpeakers, 1650 Hotel Circle North, Suite 210, San Diego CA 92108.

post #1448 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by imahawki View Post

So my Mad Dogs arrived yesterday (FAST shipping, I ordered them Friday around noon central).  I feel like they're a little bass light but I'm not sure if its my overall setup or the headphones themselves and other changes wouldn't matter.

 

My setup is an iMac with a Modi/Magni stack.  Files vary but all are at least iTunes + quality.  Music varies from current pop/hip-hop/rap to singer songwriter type of stuff to older rock, jazz and blues.  I don't really listen to classical, heavy metal, or any of the electronica based genres. 

 

I don't consider myself a basshead but maybe I am.  I like bass to be tight, low distortion, and controlled.  I've always demanded high quality subwoofers like SVS, DIY infinite baffle, etc. in my stereo system.  I expected the Mad Dogs to have a little, but not a lot more bass than my Sennheiser HD 449s but instead I feel like the Senns might have a little more bass than the Mad Dogs. 

 

I left them running over night and today while I'm at work at a moderate volume with pink noise and will listen some more tonight.  I guess the only feedback I'm looking for is if people have felt like the bass response improves in quantity while not degrading in quality with a higher end amp.  If the answer is no, I might be a candidate for a return.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imahawki View Post

I like the sonic character of the bass that IS there, but I feel there just isn't enough.  I don't like boomy, bloomy, tubby bass.  But I want a more visceral impact.  Maybe I'm a candidate for a return and will need to look elsewhere.  I'll see if anyone else has any input.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imahawki View Post

The Magni is 1.2W or 1.3W into 32 ohms so I think that's enough power.

 

Dan PMed me some advice targeted mainly around ensuring a good seal, that I will try tonight.  Even if this doesn't end up working out, its more proof what a great guy he is.  So responsive trying to help out a customer. 

 

A friend on the forum I run also recommended the Denon D2000.  Unfortunately aren't they like $550?

 

I followed Dan's advice and he had hit the nail on the head.  I had the headband too short and the cups were pulling away from my head at the bottom just enough to break the seal below my ears.  Obviously poor/no seal = poor bass.  I'll be keeping the MDs.  The Bass is deep and tight now and is plentiful on tracks where it exists and present and weighty on less bassy tracks (rock, jazz with acoustic bass etc.)  The mids are wonderful and the highs are extended without any brightness or risk of fatigue.

post #1449 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by imahawki View Post

 

 

 

I followed Dan's advice and he had hit the nail on the head.  I had the headband too short and the cups were pulling away from my head at the bottom just enough to break the seal below my ears.  Obviously poor/no seal = poor bass.  I'll be keeping the MDs.  The Bass is deep and tight now and is plentiful on tracks where it exists and present and weighty on less bassy tracks (rock, jazz with acoustic bass etc.)  The mids are wonderful and the highs are extended without any brightness or risk of fatigue.

 

beerchug.gif  I knew it !!

 

The MD's are a fantastic set of versatile cans ....  With the right power and fit, they're pretty hard to beat for $300 ......

post #1450 of 2871
I have been using the mad dogs at my office through O2 amp or Maverick A1 amp and while I thought it sounded pretty good, I actually prefer my westone ES5 with toxic virus cable through the O2 amp. Until I hooked the mad dogs up through my Decware Mini Torii amp with headphone output which I have been using to pair with HE-6 at home... I couldn't believe that the bass of mad dogs could hit so hard and how well the layers of voices/ instruments are presented. The music is thoroughly engaging with great dynamics and smooth and yet the sound is presented so effortlessly. The soundstage is also much larger. I think I owe Preproman an apology here for doubting him when he said that the soundstage of mad dogs was bigger than LCD-2. While I also no longer have a pair of LCD-2 to compare, I am beginning to believe that it could really be possible especially if he was driving the mad dogs through his GS-X and Master-7.

To think that I actually put up my Mini Torii for sale cheap a few days ago and almost wanted to do the same for the mad dogs. The combination of the two is simply sublime and I am afraid that I have to relegate my ES5 to the sideline already for my office rig. Pardon me for sounding so excited as the feeling I have right now is like uncovering a treasure chest in a pile of old junk that I am about to sell away cheap smily_headphones1.gif
post #1451 of 2871

Has anyone tried the Balanced Mad Dogs with the RSA SR-71B ?

Especially using the Balanced Mad Dog cable specific to RSA/ALO ?

 

I am thinking this would be a nice transportable amp for the Dogs, quite a bit of juice and easy to take to work and back.

post #1452 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee View Post

Has anyone tried the Balanced Mad Dogs with the RSA SR-71B ?
Especially using the Balanced Mad Dog cable specific to RSA/ALO ?

I am thinking this would be a nice transportable amp for the Dogs, quite a bit of juice and easy to take to work and back.
I have heard the mad dogs through my rsa intruder and they were quite awesome, although it was the single ended version. I believe the intruder has the same amp section as the 71. I really love ray's amps for my he 500 too. More than enough juice on high gain and I think the knob was only at 7 or 8 o'clock.
post #1453 of 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach915m View Post


I have heard the mad dogs through my rsa intruder and they were quite awesome, although it was the single ended version. I believe the intruder has the same amp section as the 71. I really love ray's amps for my he 500 too. More than enough juice on high gain and I think the knob was only at 7 or 8 o'clock.


Thanks yeah Ray makes some of the best amps. The Intruder looks awesome I just have no need for the dac. If the amp sections are quite similar that is a good sign, I figured they would pair well most likely.

post #1454 of 2871
Hi, anyone know of any aftermarket cables available for the SE Mad dogs?
post #1455 of 2871

 http://www.btg-audio.com/

 

Brian is one of the best

 I've  used him many,many times,-- his prices are great


Edited by mikek200 - 8/23/13 at 5:48pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread**