Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 - Page 20

post #286 of 14415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

However, I do feel that it is an extremely big missed opportunity if the X5 does not offer quick battery swap. iBasso clearly recognise the value of allowing users to do this, on the DX50.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

I think you missed a point. X3 already has a 3000mAH battery, and X5 might go with a even bigger battery @ 3500mAH. The battery iBasso plan to used on DX50 is only 2100mAH (*for S3, a.k.a. i9300 battery IIFC). While the idea of an easily removable / replaceable battery is nice, it comes at the cost of both size and capacity.

 

 

 

If the batteries are easily & quickly swappable (as they are in the Samsung phones, for example), then it's irrelevant that they're smaller capacity (and I'm not pushing for the battery to necessarily be one from a Samsung phone, by the way. I don't care where it comes from just so long as its readily available and easy to swap).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 the back case will have to be larger / thicker to accommodate a battery bay and its cover

 

Oh, come on, the difference would be neglible; just a couple of millimetres.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 I am pretty sure a S3 battery is physically as wide as X3, if not wider. So using such battery means X5 must be much wider and thicker than what X3 is.

 

Again, I think you are overstating the amount of difference. Sure, there might be a difference, but nothing at all to be concerned about.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 FiiO can go will a custom built battery (like that on HM901) but that will increase the cost (which is why I assume iBasso uses an existing battery for DX50) and still it won't be as big as a fully built-in one. I really don't see how that can be a totally good thing - yes, you can replace the battery when it is drained, but that means you need to carry extra battery and keep them in charge. If you are already willing to go to that extra length, why not just carry an USB power bank with you instead? At least you can buy a big enough power bank not just for X3 / X5, but also for your smartphone.

 

No, I don't ask for a a custom built battery.

 

* Carrying an extra battery (like a Samsung phone battery for the DX50) is easy - they are tiny and lightweight and fit into a jeans pocket so easily you hardly notice they are there at all.

 

* A powerbank battery is considerably larger and heavier than a phone battery. A powerbank battery needs to be higher voltage in order to be able to 'push' charge into a device battery. Extra voltage means extra size and weight.

 

* What is the point in making the DAP smaller, if you need to carry a bigger battery (i.e. a powerbank) just to keep the DAP battery charged-up while you are walking?

 

* A powerbank battery means you have to take time to charge not only the powerbank (at home/work) but also, while you are walking, you need to 'charge' your DAP / Phone battery. I don't want to have to charge my DAP or Phone while I am walking - the whole point is that I want to do all my charging at home or work, not whilst I am walking. If the DAP has a swappable battery, I can simply keep an extremely slim and lightweight spare battery in my pocket, and not even worry about if my DAP battery runs out. When it does, it takes just a few seconds to swap the battery and start using the DAP again. No waiting for the DAP to charge.

The best scenario, in my view, is to have a total of 3 batteries. When I go out, I have a battery in the DAP, at any state of charge, it doesn't matter, and I carry 1 spare battery in my pocket. The 3rd battery stays at home (or work). I use the DAP without worrying about the battery level. If it runs out, no problem, I swap in a spare battery, from my pocket, and I can carry on using the DAP immediately. Meanwhile, at home (or work), I have a charging dock that always has a 3rd battery being charged. When I arrive home or arrive at work, I just swap the flat battery into the charger and put the freshly charged battery in my pocket. I never have to check if my DAP needs charging. I never have to carry a heavy powerbank battery. Total freedom. If I want, I can even keep a spare battery both at work and at home. I wouldn't need to, but the option would be available to me if I wanted to do that.

 

As much as I love the SQ of the DX100, the thing used to drive me crazy with such poor battery life and always having it run out when I was on the train home etc. And I would never have carried a powerbank with me because they're unnecessarily heavy. On the other hand, I easily carry a spare battery for my Galaxy S2 and easily swap it whenever the phone runs flat.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

It will be rather funny for a S4 user to carry spare S4 battery for S4 and S3 battery for DX50, won't you say?

 

No, I don't find that at all funny/strange.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

X5 is still in development. The only thing for sure is that it will be better in hardware when compared to X3 and that's why you don't see a lot of info about it so far. There will be more info when it is near release.

 

I don't understand why you are telling me something so obvious.

 

 

 

None of this is personal, I'm just responding to your questions/statements, that's all.

 

Clearly, we see things differently. I really like to be able to swap spare batteries when I am walking/traveling. I hate having to mess around with charging devices unless I am at home or at work. I don't think that it is at all strange to have this opinion.

 

I criticise Apple for doing the same thing with their new Powerbooks and with their iPhone. I have an older Powerbook, which does have a swappable battery and it is so much less hassle. My friend has had an iPhone 3, 4s, and 5, and he has had endless trouble using it for business, because the damn thing is forever running out of battery power when he needs it most, and he doesn't have time to charge it with a powerbank. He needs to be able to use it immediately. Same goes for the HTC One, which is a beautiful phone and I feel it is actually better than the S4, but it does not allow battery swapping so I refuse to buy it (it doesn't allow memory cards, either, but at least data can be dumped direct to a USB stick in the latest versions of Android).

 

Speaking for myself, I can see that I really, really like James' attitude to business, and I expect the X5 will be an excellent value player, but if it performs about the same as iBasso's DX50 and the DX50 lets me swap batteries when I need to, then I am completely serious that that would be enough to make me choose the DX50 instead of the X5. Maybe not everyone agrees with that opinion, but I am certainly not alone in having this opinion, either.


Edited by Mython - 5/25/13 at 11:52am
post #287 of 14415
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFiiO View Post

 

in fact, I used Galaxy note and S3, and iP4S before, what I found is that a power bank is more convenience than a replaceable battery, and it limited the ID design and build quality. and when we upgrade our E11 next year, we will also remove the replaceable battery. Trust me, now almost everyone 

will carry a power bank so you don't need an extra battery. and all our products can be charged via a power bank.

 

 

I respectfully disagree with you on this point, James.

 

I do not like powerbanks.

 

1) They are unnecessarily larger and heavier than a tiny slim spare battery

 

2) I don't want to mess around having to charge my DAP from a powerbank while I am walking/traveling. I just want to swap a fresh battery and immediately continue using the DAP.

post #288 of 14415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

The best scenario, in my view, is to have a total of 3 batteries. When I go out, I have a battery in the DAP, at any state of charge, it doesn't matter, and I carry 1 spare battery in my pocket. The 3rd battery stays at home (or work). I use the DAP without worrying about the battery level. If it runs out, no problem, I swap in a spare battery, from my pocket, and I can carry on using the DAP immediately. Meanwhile, at home (or work), I have a charging dock that always has a 3rd battery being charged. When I arrive home or arrive at work, I just swap the flat battery into the charger and put the freshly charged battery in my pocket. I never have to check if my DAP needs charging. I never have to carry a heavy powerbank battery. Total freedom. If I want, I can even keep a spare battery both at work and at home. I wouldn't need to, but the option would be available to me if I wanted to do that.

 

That's what I currently do with my S2. I love not caring whether or not my phone battery dies, because I have that other one handy. In fact, this was the main reason I got an S2 over an iphone (non-replaceable battery). The idea of carrying around a powerbank battery doesn't appeal to me very much.

 

I guess what I am saying is that having a replaceable battery would be a selling point for me. But no, it wouldn't be so great if doing so resulted in a really low battery life.

post #289 of 14415
I prefer to have a X5 with 15h+ battery life not removable then having a 8h battery life swappable .
post #290 of 14415
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicday View Post

I prefer to have a X5 with 15h+ battery life not removable then having a 8h battery life swappable .

 

Yeah, either one works (although I wouldn't be devastated with 15+ battery life AND removable battery :)

post #291 of 14415
This any good for the HTC one
post #292 of 14415
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsand View Post

This any good for the HTC one

This quite alright without one.

post #293 of 14415
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicday View Post

I prefer to have a X5 with 15h+ battery life not removable then having a 8h battery life swappable .

 

So true. :)

post #294 of 14415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

I don't understand why you are telling me something so obvious.

 

Because you are asking an obvious question, I would think wink.gif

 

Nothing personal for me as well, but I don't share the 'removable is better' view if the choice is limited to only between 'larger and non-removable' and 'smaller but removable'. Like waynes world, I would have preferred 'larger capacity, removable, yet small in size'. But you can't have them all, can't you?

post #295 of 14415
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

 

Because you are asking an obvious question, I would think wink.gif

 

 

But I never asked you for more information about the X5.

 

I simply stated that I wish James / Fiio would reconsider the battery choice, so that it can be quickly swappable.

 

 

 

 

Anyway, if you read my original post on this topic, you'll see there was a very specific reason why I wish to see a swappable battery on the X5, but you seem to be forgetting this very specific reason:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread/240#post_9462772

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

 

I must admit, though, that a battery which can be replaced in a few seconds (like on iBasso DX50) is a brilliant feature. I own a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone and I do carry a spare battery around with me so that I can replace it whenever my phone runs out of power. I would really love to see a DAP that offers a more powerful amplifier stage but allows quick battery swap by user, so the reduced battery life is no problem! It seems so crazy to reduce amplifier power just to save battery life, when the solution to this is so simple, by just allowing quick battery swap with spare battery.

 

 

 

As I have stated several times in this thread, and in the X3 thread, I really want to support James / Fiio for producing good value DAPs. I suspect that the X5 and the D50 will perform to a fairly similar level, but I am wondering if the DX50 may offer a more powerful amp stage, partly because the DX100 has such a great emphasis on the amp stage, and partly because the swappable battery seems to suggest that iBasso may be anticipating the need for swapping the battery, to handle increased current draw of a relatively powerful amp stage. Time will tell. (and yes, I do acknowledge the difference in capacity between the DX50 battery and the proposed 3500mah for the Fiio X5, but even so, my point still stands, because making the battery swappable simply makes current draw and battery capacity a non-issue).

 

Whatever happens, I'll probably end up buying an X3 for my mum, so Fiio will get at least some of my money. But for myself, if the X5 offers no swappable battery, the DX50 may just get my money.


Edited by Mython - 5/25/13 at 5:02pm
post #296 of 14415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

But I never asked you for more information about the X5.

 

I simply stated that I wish James / Fiio would reconsider the battery choice, so that it can be quickly swappable.

 

 

 

 

Anyway, if you read my original post on this topic, you'll see there was a very specific reason why I wish to see a swappable battery on the X5, but you seem to be forgetting this very specific reason:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread/240#post_9462772

 

 

 

As I have stated several times in this thread, and in the X3 thread, I really want to support James / Fiio for producing good value DAPs. I suspect that the X5 and the D50 will perform to a fairly similar level, but I am wondering if the DX50 may offer a more powerful amp stage, partly because the DX100 has such a great emphasis on the amp stage, and partly because the swappable battery seems to suggest that iBasso may be anticipating the need for swapping the battery, to handle increased current draw of a relatively powerful amp stage. Time will tell. (and yes, I do acknowledge the difference in capacity between the DX50 battery and the proposed 3500mah for the Fiio X5, but even so, my point still stands, because making the battery swappable simply makes current draw and battery capacity a non-issue).

 

Whatever happens, I'll probably end up buying an X3 for my mum, so Fiio will get at least some of my money. But for myself, if the X5 offers no swappable battery, the DX50 may just get my money.

I thought Fiio X5 is in the same league like iBasso DX100/HD-P R10 or HiFiman HM-901 or iRiver AK-120 but at more affordable price?

 

If you really need a large battery may be iBasso HDP-R10 with 4800 mAh might suit your need.

post #297 of 14415
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberalpha11 View Post

I thought Fiio X5 is in the same league like iBasso DX100/HD-P R10 or HiFiman HM-901 or iRiver AK-120 but at more affordable price?

 

If you really need a large battery may be iBasso HDP-R10 with 4800 mAh might suit your need.

 

So much speculation in this thread it is almost unbelievable...

post #298 of 14415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

 

So much speculation in this thread it is almost unbelievable...

Rather silly, I think...

post #299 of 14415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post

Rather silly, I think...


I love it!biggrin.gif

 

Waiting for the designed by space aliens held captive in area 51 angle myselftongue.gif

post #300 of 14415

All part of life's rich tapestry.

 

 

Whenever there is an interesting product on the horizon, but the manufacturer is remaining tight-lipped about specifications and pricing, there will always be speculation amongst potential customers who are eagerly anticipating more information and a product release. Head-fi is strewn with hundreds of similar speculation threads about various products.

 

I just roll with the speculation; go with the flow, rather than resist it  wink_face.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014