Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Cavalli Liquid Gold
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cavalli Liquid Gold - Page 15  

post #211 of 406

How will this amp perform with LCD-3's and heavy music like black or death metal?

post #212 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiCKed666 View Post

How will this amp perform with LCD-3's and heavy music like black or death metal?

 

The LAu will drive the LCD-3 brilliantly. Whether the LCD-3 is a good choice for those genres is another matter, but if you already like the LCD-3 for them then I suspect you'll be quite satisfied. My LCD-3 for instance never sounded better to my ears than on the LAu demo unit I tried.

post #213 of 406

How much is the LAu at it's current stage?

post #214 of 406

Stop LAughing, DefQon.... It'a about half the price at it's voltage stage.....

post #215 of 406

Huh? 

post #216 of 406
Thread Starter 

Man I miss this amp.  I'm listening to Who's Next in 24/192 rip from the SACD specifically Baba O'Reilly on my LF.  Great but lacks the shear power of the LAu and this song just screams for that.

post #217 of 406

How did you get the 24/192 rips (files) off the SACD?

post #218 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

How did you get the 24/192 rips (files) off the SACD?

Probably a PS3.
post #219 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

 

The LAu will drive the LCD-3 brilliantly. Whether the LCD-3 is a good choice for those genres is another matter, but if you already like the LCD-3 for them then I suspect you'll be quite satisfied. My LCD-3 for instance never sounded better to my ears than on the LAu demo unit I tried.

Dear MF, are you like me, thinking that the LCD3s and the Stax 009s are just going in different directions, but both are equally awesome in their own way, impossible to rank?

post #220 of 406

I'd still love to know how he did it - the highest bitrate that Larry was able to rip from such a setup was 176k

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post


Probably a PS3.
post #221 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post

I'd still love to know how he did it - the highest bitrate that Larry was able to rip from such a setup was 176k

 

It could be a file ripped from DVD-A.  Some of my DVD-A files are 24 bit 192 khz.

post #222 of 406
Thread Starter 
I got it from a friend. It is from PS3. Anyone really that interested in a challenge I will send a copy to. FWIW I also have vinyl rips at 24/192.
post #223 of 406

From what I've read, the Liquid Gold is the greatest headphone amp ever; crushing everything that came before it.  But the 6k price tag is crazy.  So, I'm wondering.  Do the components of the Liquid Gold justify the cost of the amp, or is it Cavalli's engineering genius you are paying for?

post #224 of 406

If you look back in the thread this has been covered.  Both would really be the answer.  Alex lists 13-14 things that were custom made for the amp off the top of his head, and the cost of parts + premo labour definitely wasn't cheap.  But its really not just a gainclone in a fancy box (or pick your equivalent), the amp's performance is tremendous which is a testament to Dr. Cavalli's engineering prowess.  As nice as it looks in person, I feel if anything the performance exceeds the looks.

 

I wouldn't say it "crushes" everything else as that is probably descending into the hyperbolic, but it is definitely incredibly seductive with the widest array of headphones of any amp I can think of.

post #225 of 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

If you look back in the thread this has been covered.  Both would really be the answer.  Alex lists 13-14 things that were custom made for the amp off the top of his head, and the cost of parts + premo labour definitely wasn't cheap.  But its really not just a gainclone in a fancy box (or pick your equivalent), the amp's performance is tremendous which is a testament to Dr. Cavalli's engineering prowess.  As nice as it looks in person, I feel if anything the performance exceeds the looks.

 

I wouldn't say it "crushes" everything else as that is probably descending into the hyperbolic, but it is definitely incredibly seductive with the widest array of headphones of any amp I can think of.

 



I must have missed that somewhere along the way.  I read pages 1-12 about a month ago but haven't covered the new stuff.  Would you say that it is the best amp on the market to run either the LCD-3's or HD800's?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Cavalli Liquid Gold