or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread - Page 562

post #8416 of 19569
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

i lie down on pillows and listen, its no problem at all. 

 

Actually it is the best headphone I have on a pillow. It is so comfortable and the music is so nice that I fall asleep within 2 classical tracks (not to mention I can't hear my wife nagging). 

post #8417 of 19569

Hey guys, can you all give me your opinion here. Would it be better for me to get more tubes for now, or get myself the Matrix M-Stage? (be it the HPA-1 or HPA-2).

post #8418 of 19569
Changing tubes makes good sense and it does make an obvious change when done. But you still have the limitations of the amp.and the tube sound even if just a little.
So a new amp makes sense but a Ss amp will give you the biggest. Change in sound. What amp are you currently using ?
Al
post #8419 of 19569
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Changing tubes makes good sense and it does make an obvious change when done. But you still have the limitations of the amp.and the tube sound even if just a little.
So a new amp makes sense but a Ss amp will give you the biggest. Change in sound. What amp are you currently using ?
Al

 

WA3 with Tung Sol 7236 and Tesla 7DJ8 here mate

post #8420 of 19569
Ok it's a woo audio. Pm frank I. He can tell you what to expect with what tubes.
Keep this in mind people expect changes in amps or tubes to make the change they are looking for. In fact the dac should be the first to be done. As if the dac has the sound you want then the amps can. A good amp has little to no sound. Hence the term wire with gain.
Al
Edited by ALRAINBOW - 2/21/14 at 3:52am
post #8421 of 19569
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleehl View Post
 

 

Actually it is the best headphone I have on a pillow. It is so comfortable and the music is so nice that I fall asleep within 2 classical tracks (not to mention I can't hear my wife nagging). 

Listening to classical music on the HD800 is worth $1500. Not hearing the wife nag, priceless!

post #8422 of 19569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post
 

Listening to classical music on the HD800 is worth $1500. Not hearing the wife nag, priceless!

 

:D

post #8423 of 19569

I see some HD800's being sold by some wives with their noses out of joint.

 

Must check the For Sale ads for some cheap bargains coming up.

post #8424 of 19569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post
 

Listening to classical music on the HD800 is worth $1500. Not hearing the wife nag, priceless!

 

You need a can that can isolate really good then (a wife's nagging voice is rather powerful).  Let me suggest the T5p or the Alpha Dogs -- you will never hear your wife again (unless she rips the cans from your head in a rage).

post #8425 of 19569
Quote:
Originally Posted by wink View Post
 

I see some HD800's being sold by some wives with their noses out of joint.

 

Grounds for divorce!  :mad:

post #8426 of 19569
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 

 

You need a can that can isolate really good then (a wife's nagging voice is rather powerful).  Let me suggest the T5p or the Alpha Dogs -- you will never hear your wife again (unless she rips the cans from your head in a rage).

+1  the Alpha Dog works better in this case. 

post #8427 of 19569
If we're talking classical, I'd say the T5p, actually.
post #8428 of 19569
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post

You need a can that can isolate really good then (a wife's nagging voice is rather powerful).  Let me suggest the T5p or the Alpha Dogs -- you will never hear your wife again (unless she rips the cans from your head in a rage).
There's always Beats. Sorry couldn't help but think of that commercial. Guess marketing does work. I can just picture your wife screaming at you and then you put on those noise canceling Beats in front of her. "Well you can tell everybody..." biggrin.gif
post #8429 of 19569
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

Hey guys, can you all give me your opinion here. Would it be better for me to get more tubes for now, or get myself the Matrix M-Stage? (be it the HPA-1 or HPA-2).

 

What kind of change in the sound are you looking for?  I had quite a few tubes for my WA3 back in the day, including some very nice amperex 7308 pq's and 6922 pq's.  They do definitely impact the sonics (mostly FR), as do various 6as7's, but no tube combo is going to make the WA3 significantly more detailed and dynamic than what you're presently hearing.  It is a great amp for hd650's but a bit too slow, tubey, laid back and lacking in resolution to really show off everything your hd800's can do.  (As I have noted a time or two before in this thread, I found my bh crack to be far better with hd800's than my WA3, and many in the crack thread have echoed that sentiment even as to the WA2 - which makes perfect sense if you understand the circuits, the impact of constant current, and the ease of dropping nice film output caps in the crack.)  Unless you are just looking to tweak FR a bit, I would encourage you towards an amp upgrade, but I have yet to hear the M-Stage and can't weigh in there.    

post #8430 of 19569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post


There's always Beats. Sorry couldn't help but think of that commercial. Guess marketing does work. I can just picture your wife screaming at you and then you put on those noise canceling Beats in front of her. "Well you can tell everybody..." biggrin.gif

 

Well, if you put on Beats then you will not enjoy the music...and if you are not enjoying the music then your wife will not start to nag you.  So, basically, the Beats are useless in wife nagging scenarios.

 

The amount of nagging is directly proportional to how much enjoyment (away from your wife or girlfriend) you are having. 

 

The moral of the story is -- look miserable when you listen to your HD800.  If that does not work and she decides to give you grief, switch to the T5p or Alpha Dog immediately.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread