I've been looking for some headphones around $300 or under and so far these are the best I've found. If there are any other headphones that could beat these for the price please tell me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K167 Tiesto Closed-Back DJ Studio Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 11/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- Somewhat amazing headphones for $200 for a headphone noob Last post on 3/15/13 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Moving to a new level of headphone Last post on 1/24/13 at 11:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Video review of the Fiio X3 Second Generation player.
The price to performance ratio of the HiFiMan HE-400 is truly exceptional. The clamping force of new head band is tight and requires break-in. I prefer the the plush pads over stock pads for...
They are a very good option. The sound is natural, they are comfortable to use. The only con I have with it is the included cable that is too long and bulky (if you want to listen them connected...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I must admit, until recently, I was not aware of the Master and Dynamic brand. I had heard about them on the forums, but never really read anything about them. Their recent model MH40 is their...
What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
How are they the best you've found?
At the $300 mark, there's a literal plethora of well known, well documented, and staple mid-fi headphones that essentially hold the market at this price point.
How about you tell us what you're looking for a in a headphone and what kind of sound you're wanting. Also, include any source equipment you're using. Also, let us know if you're willing to buy source equipment (ie, DAC, AMP, etc).
In that case, consider the following:
Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone HFI 580
i heard Beyer DT770, Denon D2000, Ultrasone PRO 750 and Ultrasone HFI 580 of the above and find the MDR-1R to be superior in sound (for electronica) and comfort.
another contender should be the M-100.havent heard it yet though.
I don't know much about why another pair of cans would be better than the other. Could you explain what would make these comparable to the MDR-1R.
Then what are you basing the MDR-1R being "best" on?
I'd add the HFI-2400 to Mal's list, but wouldn't suggest the SR-225 if you want "lots of bass."
Well I know that Sony is pretty reliable, and they have a pretty high FR. Also, I've seen some reviews comparing them to other headphones and they seemed to be the perfect headphones for me in that price range. Along with a bit of understated style as a bonus.
"high FR" - what?
As far as Sony and the brand's reputation - they're a mixed bag. They have some big winners against a lot of losers, historically speaking. MDR-1R are new - a general consensus likely is not available yet. The models Mal suggested are a known quantity, and they're all good by and large.
Frequency range does not matter at all as long as it is at least 20Hz-20KHz.
What does matter is what the frequency response graph looks like. Usually flatter is better, but this depends on your preferences.
You mentioned musical tastes of electronic and dub step? Is that all you listen to or is it just your primary music genres. If other genres are listened to do you care if you hear them as enjoyably as dub step and electronic, or do you just want these to be nice and bassy?
Are you going to use these from a stationary listening station with headphone amp and DAC or mainly from portable devices like an iPhone or other MP3 player?
Do you need these to be isolating (for you) or non-bleeding (for everyone around you).
Do you care if the headphone sits on your ears or around your ears? This followed by do you want super comfy or is it OK if they are just comfy so long as they sound good and meet your other requirements?
- What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Three Word Story 28 seconds ago
- › Xiaomi Piston 3 (2015) 30 seconds ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 31 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Official X3 firmware thread--3.34beta: removed 5800 song limit,... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › I need help making Sennheiser HD-800 cables please read 1 minute ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 1 minute ago
- › DC Area Head-Fi Meet - George Mason Regional Library - SUNDAY.... 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2