I've been looking for some headphones around $300 or under and so far these are the best I've found. If there are any other headphones that could beat these for the price please tell me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K167 Tiesto Closed-Back DJ Studio Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 11/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- Somewhat amazing headphones for $200 for a headphone noob Last post on 3/15/13 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Moving to a new level of headphone Last post on 1/24/13 at 11:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: Yesterday
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
I’d like to thank John Seaber and the folks at JDS Labs for the C5D loaner unit. Accessories The C5D ships with a 1.5 foot USB mini-B cable, a set of four rubber stick-on feet and an...
This is a review of the upcoming FiiO X1 digital audio player (DAP). Until my first experience with X5, a little over half a year ago, I used to refer to all dedicated audio players as "mp3"...
It's annoying because I didn't read the manual so I naturally fitted the SE215's wrong, and then looked at videos and found the right fit. The SE215 lack bass with the foam tips, so I put on the...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
How are they the best you've found?
At the $300 mark, there's a literal plethora of well known, well documented, and staple mid-fi headphones that essentially hold the market at this price point.
How about you tell us what you're looking for a in a headphone and what kind of sound you're wanting. Also, include any source equipment you're using. Also, let us know if you're willing to buy source equipment (ie, DAC, AMP, etc).
In that case, consider the following:
Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone HFI 580
i heard Beyer DT770, Denon D2000, Ultrasone PRO 750 and Ultrasone HFI 580 of the above and find the MDR-1R to be superior in sound (for electronica) and comfort.
another contender should be the M-100.havent heard it yet though.
I don't know much about why another pair of cans would be better than the other. Could you explain what would make these comparable to the MDR-1R.
Then what are you basing the MDR-1R being "best" on?
I'd add the HFI-2400 to Mal's list, but wouldn't suggest the SR-225 if you want "lots of bass."
Well I know that Sony is pretty reliable, and they have a pretty high FR. Also, I've seen some reviews comparing them to other headphones and they seemed to be the perfect headphones for me in that price range. Along with a bit of understated style as a bonus.
"high FR" - what?
As far as Sony and the brand's reputation - they're a mixed bag. They have some big winners against a lot of losers, historically speaking. MDR-1R are new - a general consensus likely is not available yet. The models Mal suggested are a known quantity, and they're all good by and large.
Frequency range does not matter at all as long as it is at least 20Hz-20KHz.
What does matter is what the frequency response graph looks like. Usually flatter is better, but this depends on your preferences.
You mentioned musical tastes of electronic and dub step? Is that all you listen to or is it just your primary music genres. If other genres are listened to do you care if you hear them as enjoyably as dub step and electronic, or do you just want these to be nice and bassy?
Are you going to use these from a stationary listening station with headphone amp and DAC or mainly from portable devices like an iPhone or other MP3 player?
Do you need these to be isolating (for you) or non-bleeding (for everyone around you).
Do you care if the headphone sits on your ears or around your ears? This followed by do you want super comfy or is it OK if they are just comfy so long as they sound good and meet your other requirements?
- What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Amplifier for SoundMagic E10 ? 2 minutes ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Uplifting Trance reccomendations 5 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › NocturnaL Audio Acrux Silver IEM Cable 5 minutes ago
- › Help choosing first pair of headphones 6 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qped Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Hifiman HE-400 8 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)