I've been looking for some headphones around $300 or under and so far these are the best I've found. If there are any other headphones that could beat these for the price please tell me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K167 Tiesto Closed-Back DJ Studio Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 11/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- Somewhat amazing headphones for $200 for a headphone noob Last post on 3/15/13 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Moving to a new level of headphone Last post on 1/24/13 at 11:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/21/14
Admittedly, I took far too long to post this review. I wanted to try a different approach that involved becoming accustomed to the signature followed by a period without them, and then a...
FiiO has been quite successful with their X series of high resolution digital audio player. So much so that perhaps even they themselves didn’t anticipate that the company will have to shift its...
I bought these at less than half retail on a whim from Audio Advisor, looking to replace my aging Sennheiser HD 580's. Look at the picture...these are VERY NICELY made headphones! All aluminum...
The HM5 Velours are quite simply, an uber-comfortable pad for HM5/Shure/Beyer/ATH/(most large circumaural headphones). I was offered a review sample from Brainwavz and have the following to say...
Almost 2 months with these gems. I simply love these IEMs. I paired them against my Shure SE215 and the Havi B3 Pro 1 and I briefly pit them against the UE700s and Klipsch S4II. I am definitely no...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
How are they the best you've found?
At the $300 mark, there's a literal plethora of well known, well documented, and staple mid-fi headphones that essentially hold the market at this price point.
How about you tell us what you're looking for a in a headphone and what kind of sound you're wanting. Also, include any source equipment you're using. Also, let us know if you're willing to buy source equipment (ie, DAC, AMP, etc).
In that case, consider the following:
Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone HFI 580
i heard Beyer DT770, Denon D2000, Ultrasone PRO 750 and Ultrasone HFI 580 of the above and find the MDR-1R to be superior in sound (for electronica) and comfort.
another contender should be the M-100.havent heard it yet though.
I don't know much about why another pair of cans would be better than the other. Could you explain what would make these comparable to the MDR-1R.
Then what are you basing the MDR-1R being "best" on?
I'd add the HFI-2400 to Mal's list, but wouldn't suggest the SR-225 if you want "lots of bass."
Well I know that Sony is pretty reliable, and they have a pretty high FR. Also, I've seen some reviews comparing them to other headphones and they seemed to be the perfect headphones for me in that price range. Along with a bit of understated style as a bonus.
"high FR" - what?
As far as Sony and the brand's reputation - they're a mixed bag. They have some big winners against a lot of losers, historically speaking. MDR-1R are new - a general consensus likely is not available yet. The models Mal suggested are a known quantity, and they're all good by and large.
Frequency range does not matter at all as long as it is at least 20Hz-20KHz.
What does matter is what the frequency response graph looks like. Usually flatter is better, but this depends on your preferences.
You mentioned musical tastes of electronic and dub step? Is that all you listen to or is it just your primary music genres. If other genres are listened to do you care if you hear them as enjoyably as dub step and electronic, or do you just want these to be nice and bassy?
Are you going to use these from a stationary listening station with headphone amp and DAC or mainly from portable devices like an iPhone or other MP3 player?
Do you need these to be isolating (for you) or non-bleeding (for everyone around you).
Do you care if the headphone sits on your ears or around your ears? This followed by do you want super comfy or is it OK if they are just comfy so long as they sound good and meet your other requirements?
- What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Lake People G109 / G103 thread 42 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 44 seconds ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 54 seconds ago
- › Best headphones under 499 for classic rock 1 minute ago
- › F.S. Centrance Dacmini CX - volume control option. 2 minutes ago
- › New se846 owner wants a DAP with sound signature similar to... 3 minutes ago
- › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 4 minutes ago
- › 2014 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Exchange 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Kamakahah
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by ClieOS
- › HiFiMAN HE-300 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by JoeDoe
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by audiobean
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic by donnot
- › Zynsonix Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable by BeatsWork
- › Mitsubishi LT-30 by Golden Ears
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)