I've been looking for some headphones around $300 or under and so far these are the best I've found. If there are any other headphones that could beat these for the price please tell me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K167 Tiesto Closed-Back DJ Studio Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 11/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- Somewhat amazing headphones for $200 for a headphone noob Last post on 3/15/13 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Moving to a new level of headphone Last post on 1/24/13 at 11:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
The ATH-m50 is my first ever headphone, not including the $2 ear-buds of course. Before the m50, I was just listening to ear-buds and didn't have much affection for music reproduction. However,...
I love these. I have BeatsPro, Monster Inspiration and these blow them away! They are super comfortable and I can hear the nuances of all sounds.
These are my go-to set of headphones and I could have them on for 4-5h without fatigue or discomfort. I love the sound signature but understand it's not for everyone. Highs: Clean, detailed,...
Having a V-Moda Crossfade LP2 for a while now and very impressed with its sound quality and comfort as closed-back headphones, I was looking for a set of open-backs for certain genres of music that...
As a budget closed-back set of headphones, I think they are not bad. The treble is rolled off quite a bit, which is not great in regard to clarity, but good in reducing fatigue on long sessions....
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
How are they the best you've found?
At the $300 mark, there's a literal plethora of well known, well documented, and staple mid-fi headphones that essentially hold the market at this price point.
How about you tell us what you're looking for a in a headphone and what kind of sound you're wanting. Also, include any source equipment you're using. Also, let us know if you're willing to buy source equipment (ie, DAC, AMP, etc).
In that case, consider the following:
Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone HFI 580
i heard Beyer DT770, Denon D2000, Ultrasone PRO 750 and Ultrasone HFI 580 of the above and find the MDR-1R to be superior in sound (for electronica) and comfort.
another contender should be the M-100.havent heard it yet though.
I don't know much about why another pair of cans would be better than the other. Could you explain what would make these comparable to the MDR-1R.
Then what are you basing the MDR-1R being "best" on?
I'd add the HFI-2400 to Mal's list, but wouldn't suggest the SR-225 if you want "lots of bass."
Well I know that Sony is pretty reliable, and they have a pretty high FR. Also, I've seen some reviews comparing them to other headphones and they seemed to be the perfect headphones for me in that price range. Along with a bit of understated style as a bonus.
"high FR" - what?
As far as Sony and the brand's reputation - they're a mixed bag. They have some big winners against a lot of losers, historically speaking. MDR-1R are new - a general consensus likely is not available yet. The models Mal suggested are a known quantity, and they're all good by and large.
Frequency range does not matter at all as long as it is at least 20Hz-20KHz.
What does matter is what the frequency response graph looks like. Usually flatter is better, but this depends on your preferences.
You mentioned musical tastes of electronic and dub step? Is that all you listen to or is it just your primary music genres. If other genres are listened to do you care if you hear them as enjoyably as dub step and electronic, or do you just want these to be nice and bassy?
Are you going to use these from a stationary listening station with headphone amp and DAC or mainly from portable devices like an iPhone or other MP3 player?
Do you need these to be isolating (for you) or non-bleeding (for everyone around you).
Do you care if the headphone sits on your ears or around your ears? This followed by do you want super comfy or is it OK if they are just comfy so long as they sound good and meet your other requirements?
- What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 11 seconds ago
- › Ultrasone New performance Series: 840, 860 & 880 1 minute ago
- › Official NYC Metro Area "Headphonatics Anonymous" Fall Meet -... 1 minute ago
- › Can a portable Amp Fiio e18 drive a sennheiser HD600, HD650 or a... 2 minutes ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 2 minutes ago
- › VENI-VIDI-VICI! V-MODA's new IEMs - ALTO + FORZA - Crowdsourcing,... 3 minutes ago
- › Germanium's Sound blaster ZXR mod thread 4 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 5 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Dutch Headphone Meet 2014 (Germans & Belgians welcome!) 7 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by alexau123
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by jehovahluvsme
- › V-MODA LP2 by M-Techn1k
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by M-Techn1k
- › Sony MDR-XD200 Stereo Headphones by M-Techn1k
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphones by vincik
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by vincik
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Frank I
- › Viva Egoista Amplifier by Frank I
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by MenacingTuba
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)