I've been looking for some headphones around $300 or under and so far these are the best I've found. If there are any other headphones that could beat these for the price please tell me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K167 Tiesto Closed-Back DJ Studio Headphonestagged by System, 11/12/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 11/12/12
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 11/12/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/12/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 11/12/12
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 11/12/12
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by System, 11/12/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 11/12/12
Related Forum Threads
- Somewhat amazing headphones for $200 for a headphone noob Last post on 3/15/13 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Moving to a new level of headphone Last post on 1/24/13 at 11:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Introduction - The HD 518's are the starter model in the Sennheiser's audiophile range. They are really VFM and a good starter audiophile headphone for people who are looking into going the...
I got these on a pawn shop deal, and wanted some cheap headphones that could deliver for what I was looking for. An all-arounder that provided clarity, good bass, nice treble, and handled all...
Introduction: I still don't know why I keep buying headphones, really! I thought I was done but no, headphones like this one have to pop up on my radar and I'm weak enough that I have to buy...
Comparing these to my Philips L1 and my Beyer T1 they have a lot more mid-bass through midrange and are slightly tilted toward the high. They sound great but quite a bit different sound signature...
DISCLAIMER This review is based on the demo set at Jaben Singapore, which I have demoed extensively no less than 3 times. Though fit is pretty good, but as perfect fit is not achieved, I shall...
What beats Sony MDR-1R?post #1 of 14611/6/12 at 5:07amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 14611/6/12 at 5:30amHave not heard MDR-1R (I don't think many people have yet), but there are *a lot* of options around $300 (everyone and their grandmother has a $299 headphone these days). If we're just talking "all equal before God" - I'd point you towards the Ultrasone HFI-2400 or Grado SR-225 and SR-325. If you need isolation for mobile use, the Bose QC15 still set the standard for ANC, and are right there at $299. There's also a plethora of IEMs, but I'd suggest asking in the IEM subforum if you want to go that route (it's been a while since I've seriously looked at IEMs - I would point you towards Etymotic or Denon, but I have no idea if that's still "relevant" in light of the seeming hundreds of new offerings in that market).post #3 of 14611/6/12 at 5:34ampost #4 of 14611/6/12 at 5:34ampost #5 of 14611/6/12 at 5:36amQuote:
How are they the best you've found?
At the $300 mark, there's a literal plethora of well known, well documented, and staple mid-fi headphones that essentially hold the market at this price point.
How about you tell us what you're looking for a in a headphone and what kind of sound you're wanting. Also, include any source equipment you're using. Also, let us know if you're willing to buy source equipment (ie, DAC, AMP, etc).
Very best,post #6 of 14611/6/12 at 11:24amThread Starterpost #7 of 14611/6/12 at 12:04pm
In that case, consider the following:
Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone HFI 580
Very best,post #8 of 14611/6/12 at 2:16pm
i heard Beyer DT770, Denon D2000, Ultrasone PRO 750 and Ultrasone HFI 580 of the above and find the MDR-1R to be superior in sound (for electronica) and comfort.
another contender should be the M-100.havent heard it yet though.post #9 of 14611/6/12 at 3:19pmThread StarterQuote:
I don't know much about why another pair of cans would be better than the other. Could you explain what would make these comparable to the MDR-1R.post #10 of 14611/6/12 at 5:41pmQuote:
Then what are you basing the MDR-1R being "best" on?
I'd add the HFI-2400 to Mal's list, but wouldn't suggest the SR-225 if you want "lots of bass."post #11 of 14611/6/12 at 6:01pmThread StarterQuote:
Well I know that Sony is pretty reliable, and they have a pretty high FR. Also, I've seen some reviews comparing them to other headphones and they seemed to be the perfect headphones for me in that price range. Along with a bit of understated style as a bonus.post #12 of 14611/6/12 at 6:32pmQuote:
"high FR" - what?
As far as Sony and the brand's reputation - they're a mixed bag. They have some big winners against a lot of losers, historically speaking. MDR-1R are new - a general consensus likely is not available yet. The models Mal suggested are a known quantity, and they're all good by and large.post #13 of 14611/6/12 at 6:59pmQuote:
Frequency range does not matter at all as long as it is at least 20Hz-20KHz.
What does matter is what the frequency response graph looks like. Usually flatter is better, but this depends on your preferences.post #14 of 14611/6/12 at 7:08pmpost #15 of 14611/6/12 at 7:11pmOk let's start at the top.
You mentioned musical tastes of electronic and dub step? Is that all you listen to or is it just your primary music genres. If other genres are listened to do you care if you hear them as enjoyably as dub step and electronic, or do you just want these to be nice and bassy?
Are you going to use these from a stationary listening station with headphone amp and DAC or mainly from portable devices like an iPhone or other MP3 player?
Do you need these to be isolating (for you) or non-bleeding (for everyone around you).
Do you care if the headphone sits on your ears or around your ears? This followed by do you want super comfy or is it OK if they are just comfy so long as they sound good and meet your other requirements?
- What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Shure SE535 - clicking sound with a cable ??? :/ 9 seconds ago
- › Grado modders go Magnum 15 seconds ago
- › NEW: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW11LTD 26 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 59 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 59 seconds ago
- › Does an Astro Mixamp improve audio technica ad700 headphones with a... 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › Best amp/soundcard to go with AKG Studio 240s 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by kingpage
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe