I've been looking for some headphones around $300 or under and so far these are the best I've found. If there are any other headphones that could beat these for the price please tell me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K167 Tiesto Closed-Back DJ Studio Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 11/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- Somewhat amazing headphones for $200 for a headphone noob Last post on 3/15/13 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Moving to a new level of headphone Last post on 1/24/13 at 11:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
EL-8 fuses the best of many worlds for me. Picture if you will, the deepest, well defined bass you have ever heard. Now add to the picture the warmth only a ribbon tweeter can produce. Top all this...
M6 Pro reviewThe original m6 holds a special place in my heart. It was my first iem purchased after joining Head-fi. It was also my first pair of quality in ear headphones and a stepping stone that...
2 years ago when Fiio X3 came in place, I was so proud to say that it was one the best high quality digital audio player on the market at that time with a very good smooth sound, engaging bass...
They beat my DT 770's. That was enough for me. Everything about them was better. Vocal clarity, soundstage....upfront vocals...beautiful and not just for the price. Under rated... people don't...
Here's everything you need to know http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/03/measurements-sony-playstation-1-scph.html Here's the Stereophile review on it...
What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
How are they the best you've found?
At the $300 mark, there's a literal plethora of well known, well documented, and staple mid-fi headphones that essentially hold the market at this price point.
How about you tell us what you're looking for a in a headphone and what kind of sound you're wanting. Also, include any source equipment you're using. Also, let us know if you're willing to buy source equipment (ie, DAC, AMP, etc).
In that case, consider the following:
Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone HFI 580
i heard Beyer DT770, Denon D2000, Ultrasone PRO 750 and Ultrasone HFI 580 of the above and find the MDR-1R to be superior in sound (for electronica) and comfort.
another contender should be the M-100.havent heard it yet though.
I don't know much about why another pair of cans would be better than the other. Could you explain what would make these comparable to the MDR-1R.
Then what are you basing the MDR-1R being "best" on?
I'd add the HFI-2400 to Mal's list, but wouldn't suggest the SR-225 if you want "lots of bass."
Well I know that Sony is pretty reliable, and they have a pretty high FR. Also, I've seen some reviews comparing them to other headphones and they seemed to be the perfect headphones for me in that price range. Along with a bit of understated style as a bonus.
"high FR" - what?
As far as Sony and the brand's reputation - they're a mixed bag. They have some big winners against a lot of losers, historically speaking. MDR-1R are new - a general consensus likely is not available yet. The models Mal suggested are a known quantity, and they're all good by and large.
Frequency range does not matter at all as long as it is at least 20Hz-20KHz.
What does matter is what the frequency response graph looks like. Usually flatter is better, but this depends on your preferences.
You mentioned musical tastes of electronic and dub step? Is that all you listen to or is it just your primary music genres. If other genres are listened to do you care if you hear them as enjoyably as dub step and electronic, or do you just want these to be nice and bassy?
Are you going to use these from a stationary listening station with headphone amp and DAC or mainly from portable devices like an iPhone or other MP3 player?
Do you need these to be isolating (for you) or non-bleeding (for everyone around you).
Do you care if the headphone sits on your ears or around your ears? This followed by do you want super comfy or is it OK if they are just comfy so long as they sound good and meet your other requirements?
- What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Music Game IX 5 seconds ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 25 seconds ago
- › Yggdrasil: A (P)review - Two days of paradise 46 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Another take on computer speakers (2.0, 4" - 5", 160 USD) 2 minutes ago
- › Quesion about Y-splitters: Color-coded vs unmarked 2 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 3 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 4 minutes ago
- › Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by tonyjoy
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by indieman
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by kytuphicanh
- › Takstar Pro 80 by alphaproject
- › Sony Playstation PS One - Video Game Console by Stereocilia
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by Wokei
- › OPPO PM-3 by Soundsgoodtome
- › Focal XS Satellite Speakers with Dock for iPod and MP3 Players by cuiter23
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone, Professional Sound Good Sound... by twister6
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2