I've been looking for some headphones around $300 or under and so far these are the best I've found. If there are any other headphones that could beat these for the price please tell me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemAKG K167 Tiesto Closed Back DJ Studio Headphones
- itemAudio Technica ATH A900X Art Monitor Headphones Japan Import
- itemBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones
- itemDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over Ear Headphones
- itemGrado SR225i Headphones
- itemGrado SR325s
- itemSony MDR 1R
- itemUltrasone HFI 2400
Related Forum Threads
- Somewhat amazing headphones for $200 for a headphone noob Last post on 3/15/13 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Moving to a new level of headphone Last post on 1/24/13 at 11:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Related Head Gear
Jazz sounds real good on these. Classic music sounds pretty clear, like when the violin is playing and stuff. Vocals sound pretty good. 80's sound vibrant. dubstep/hardstyle, sounds...
No other headphone has surprised me in the manner that the Tactic 3D managed to. I originally purchased them because I needed headphones to do a Skype interview, and I wanted something...
Let me begin by saying there is nothing special about these headphones. My first impression of them made me smile because I fell in love with the oral shaped ear cups (I'm a sucker for "small"...
Owned a variety of DAC's DAP/sources, Cowon J3, Hisound Studio 3rd Anniversary, Dacport LX, HRT Music Streamer II+, Sony Walkman Z. The DX100 completely blows them all away with it's reference...
Before you read this, I think you should know that I'm not an audiophile and that English isn't my native language. Let me start this on a positive note. The design of Razer Tiamat...
What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
How are they the best you've found?
At the $300 mark, there's a literal plethora of well known, well documented, and staple mid-fi headphones that essentially hold the market at this price point.
How about you tell us what you're looking for a in a headphone and what kind of sound you're wanting. Also, include any source equipment you're using. Also, let us know if you're willing to buy source equipment (ie, DAC, AMP, etc).
In that case, consider the following:
Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone HFI 580
i heard Beyer DT770, Denon D2000, Ultrasone PRO 750 and Ultrasone HFI 580 of the above and find the MDR-1R to be superior in sound (for electronica) and comfort.
another contender should be the M-100.havent heard it yet though.
I don't know much about why another pair of cans would be better than the other. Could you explain what would make these comparable to the MDR-1R.
Then what are you basing the MDR-1R being "best" on?
I'd add the HFI-2400 to Mal's list, but wouldn't suggest the SR-225 if you want "lots of bass."
Well I know that Sony is pretty reliable, and they have a pretty high FR. Also, I've seen some reviews comparing them to other headphones and they seemed to be the perfect headphones for me in that price range. Along with a bit of understated style as a bonus.
"high FR" - what?
As far as Sony and the brand's reputation - they're a mixed bag. They have some big winners against a lot of losers, historically speaking. MDR-1R are new - a general consensus likely is not available yet. The models Mal suggested are a known quantity, and they're all good by and large.
Frequency range does not matter at all as long as it is at least 20Hz-20KHz.
What does matter is what the frequency response graph looks like. Usually flatter is better, but this depends on your preferences.
You mentioned musical tastes of electronic and dub step? Is that all you listen to or is it just your primary music genres. If other genres are listened to do you care if you hear them as enjoyably as dub step and electronic, or do you just want these to be nice and bassy?
Are you going to use these from a stationary listening station with headphone amp and DAC or mainly from portable devices like an iPhone or other MP3 player?
Do you need these to be isolating (for you) or non-bleeding (for everyone around you).
Do you care if the headphone sits on your ears or around your ears? This followed by do you want super comfy or is it OK if they are just comfy so long as they sound good and meet your other requirements?
- What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › HDCD list 28 seconds ago
- › Best android music player app? 2 minutes ago
- › Need an iem under 100 5 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 7 minutes ago
- › Violectric V800 DAC *like new* 7 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 8 minutes ago
- › Planar magnetic headphone burn in 8 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 8 minutes ago
- › Rank the IEM's you've heard 9 minutes ago
- › Chord QuteHD DAC - 'Pulse-Array' Teconology Discusion Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by dietcoke2am
- › Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Sigma USB Gaming Headset by imagic
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by David Chavez
- › iBasso DX100 Reference DAP by Poetic
- › Razer Tiamat 7.1 by helmutssss
- › Sony Xperia S Black by TheBrutux168
- › Xonar U7 - 7.1 USB-Soundkarte by pietcux
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by Landon Watson
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by tintoy
- › JDS Labs ODAC by Rem0o
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe