I've been looking for some headphones around $300 or under and so far these are the best I've found. If there are any other headphones that could beat these for the price please tell me.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K167 Tiesto Closed-Back DJ Studio Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productAudio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by System, 11/11/12
- productBose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 11/11/12
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 11/11/12
- productSony MDR-1Rtagged by System, 11/11/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 11/11/12
Related Forum Threads
- Somewhat amazing headphones for $200 for a headphone noob Last post on 3/15/13 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for a friend who plays acoustic guitar Last post on 11/16/12 at 4:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Another one of THOSE threads (help) Last post on 7/30/12 at 7:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Moving to a new level of headphone Last post on 1/24/13 at 11:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
First impressions When I first tried these headphones out of the box, I was a little disappointed at how the higher frequencies seemed to be more forward than the mids and bass. It wouldn't...
I was on the hunt for a well-made copper cable to complement my stock and third party cables for my Fitear IEMs when I came across Forza Audioworks. Good quality wire, ergonomics and aesthetics...
The best phones I've tried so far. I tried some well-burnt-in beyerdynamic and others in similar price range in a store, and I have owned the 601 before. I also own closed cans, e.g. the K271, and...
First of all, a big THANK YOU to @svyr and @H20Fidelity for organising this Australian tour. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included in this...
For several years now, Astrotec has been a name familiar to enthusiasts as a manufacturer of value-conscious, yet quality-engineered, balanced armature IEMs. This past year, they began shifting...
What beats Sony MDR-1R?post #1 of 14511/6/12 at 5:07amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 14511/6/12 at 5:30amHave not heard MDR-1R (I don't think many people have yet), but there are *a lot* of options around $300 (everyone and their grandmother has a $299 headphone these days). If we're just talking "all equal before God" - I'd point you towards the Ultrasone HFI-2400 or Grado SR-225 and SR-325. If you need isolation for mobile use, the Bose QC15 still set the standard for ANC, and are right there at $299. There's also a plethora of IEMs, but I'd suggest asking in the IEM subforum if you want to go that route (it's been a while since I've seriously looked at IEMs - I would point you towards Etymotic or Denon, but I have no idea if that's still "relevant" in light of the seeming hundreds of new offerings in that market).post #3 of 14511/6/12 at 5:34ampost #4 of 14511/6/12 at 5:34ampost #5 of 14511/6/12 at 5:36amQuote:
How are they the best you've found?
At the $300 mark, there's a literal plethora of well known, well documented, and staple mid-fi headphones that essentially hold the market at this price point.
How about you tell us what you're looking for a in a headphone and what kind of sound you're wanting. Also, include any source equipment you're using. Also, let us know if you're willing to buy source equipment (ie, DAC, AMP, etc).
Very best,post #6 of 14511/6/12 at 11:24amThread Starterpost #7 of 14511/6/12 at 12:04pm
In that case, consider the following:
Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone HFI 580
Very best,post #8 of 14511/6/12 at 2:16pm
i heard Beyer DT770, Denon D2000, Ultrasone PRO 750 and Ultrasone HFI 580 of the above and find the MDR-1R to be superior in sound (for electronica) and comfort.
another contender should be the M-100.havent heard it yet though.post #9 of 14511/6/12 at 3:19pmThread StarterQuote:
I don't know much about why another pair of cans would be better than the other. Could you explain what would make these comparable to the MDR-1R.post #10 of 14511/6/12 at 5:41pmQuote:
Then what are you basing the MDR-1R being "best" on?
I'd add the HFI-2400 to Mal's list, but wouldn't suggest the SR-225 if you want "lots of bass."post #11 of 14511/6/12 at 6:01pmThread StarterQuote:
Well I know that Sony is pretty reliable, and they have a pretty high FR. Also, I've seen some reviews comparing them to other headphones and they seemed to be the perfect headphones for me in that price range. Along with a bit of understated style as a bonus.post #12 of 14511/6/12 at 6:32pmQuote:
"high FR" - what?
As far as Sony and the brand's reputation - they're a mixed bag. They have some big winners against a lot of losers, historically speaking. MDR-1R are new - a general consensus likely is not available yet. The models Mal suggested are a known quantity, and they're all good by and large.post #13 of 14511/6/12 at 6:59pmQuote:
Frequency range does not matter at all as long as it is at least 20Hz-20KHz.
What does matter is what the frequency response graph looks like. Usually flatter is better, but this depends on your preferences.post #14 of 14511/6/12 at 7:08pmpost #15 of 14511/6/12 at 7:11pmOk let's start at the top.
You mentioned musical tastes of electronic and dub step? Is that all you listen to or is it just your primary music genres. If other genres are listened to do you care if you hear them as enjoyably as dub step and electronic, or do you just want these to be nice and bassy?
Are you going to use these from a stationary listening station with headphone amp and DAC or mainly from portable devices like an iPhone or other MP3 player?
Do you need these to be isolating (for you) or non-bleeding (for everyone around you).
Do you care if the headphone sits on your ears or around your ears? This followed by do you want super comfy or is it OK if they are just comfy so long as they sound good and meet your other requirements?
- What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 24 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 54 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › ROCK JAW - UK Engineered in-ears and over ear. Hello to one and all 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 2 minutes ago
- › New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC 3 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . dual Sabre ES9018K2M dacs . . please post... 3 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 4 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Miracle Review & Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 580 by achelgeson
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by unshavenbastard
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by djvkool
- › Astrotec AX-30 by bowei006
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by Ultramus
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by KonKossKang
- › Skullcandy Fix In Ear Headphone With 3 Button Remote - White / Chrome by killeraxemannic
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob