Since i am new to this DAC thing. I was wondering what external DAC i could use with my ipod, since i hear they have terrible sound quality. Could i use a fiio e7 as a DAC with it?
- productCypher Labs Algorhythm Solotagged by System, 11/6/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 11/6/12
- productFiiO e10tagged by System, 11/6/12
- productFiiO E11tagged by System, 11/6/12
- productFiiO E17tagged by System, 11/6/12
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 11/6/12
- productFostex HP-P1tagged by System, 11/6/12
- productHRT iStreamertagged by System, 11/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Fiio E10 and E11 or Fiio E17 Only Last post on 7/8/12 at 12:52pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Am I opening a door here? Last post on 12/25/12 at 9:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Is there a DAC that sounds better than the Ipod/Ipad line out ? Last post on 11/28/12 at 10:14pm in Portable Source Gear
- Cheap but good dac Last post on 11/26/12 at 12:23pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable Dac help... Please!! Last post on 10/27/12 at 9:33pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 1/22/15
The Sony MDR-EX1000 is truly a legendary IEM but in a world of its own. Not even the latest XBA, or XBA hybrid Z series could rival its intimidating large single-dynamic driver setup. (my EX1000...
I had the opportunity to listen to this at length against some other similar priced gears. After pairing my device, it magically struck me WOW! As I tried a number of music tracks , it...
I managed to try this MDR-Ma900 against others in the same shop. The comfort and ergonomics of this Sony are very good. Initially, I was pleasantly surprised how nice it sounded. But...
I tried this twice with different devices. It sounds pretty good with big bass sounds and probably suit a lot of youngsters today. Many very young people that I know prefer Beats or something...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Cayin for providing me with a review sample of their new flagship N6 DAP which is currently available on Amazon and from other retailers like...
DAC to use with my ipod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Apple portable products seem to come with decent DACs.
The cheapest DAC you can connect to the iPod (or iPhone) with is the HRT iStreamer, $155 and it not really a portable on the go DAC.
More likely you carry it around in your decent sized pocket and hook it up when your sitting at a desk or table.
A Fiio E11 with a Fiio L cable is about as much as you can do with an iPod.
So you can not hook the DAC feature of the Fiio E7 or E10 or E17 to the iPod.
The cheapest portable DAC that can be used with the iPod pre new ones are the HP-P1, CLAS, and the new Sony and they are all more the same price of around $500+
The iPod's already come with a good DAC. Just get a LOD and a portable amp and you are fine. There are many brands from iBasso, FiiO, Hippo, Headroom, etc that you can choose from. FiiO is generally the most popular for people with a budget of sub $70 which is what you seem to maybe have. A LOD from them is only ~$10.
- DAC to use with my ipod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › No difference in sound when trying various amps??!?!?! 46 seconds ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 1 minute ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 2 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX50 + cwm recovery Latest Update: 2014-09-15 2 minutes ago
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 2 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 2 minutes ago
- › Official X3 firmware 3.30--M3U playlists, 5-band EQ. Merry Christmas! 3 minutes ago
- › Cabillas GS1000-style cups for Grado/Allesandro/Magnum drivers or a... 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › FS: Special Edition Bottlehead Crack with Speedball Upgrade 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by stuartfang
- › Parrot Zik 2.0, the world's most advanced headphones -... by johnKenneth
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by johnKenneth
- › Xtreme Xplosives On Ear by johnKenneth
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by twister6
- › Sony XBA-4SL by cuiter23
- › Shure SE215 by cuiter23
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by ActiveTechREV
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by d marc0
- › HIFIMAN RE300a(Black) InLine Control Earphone by mark2410
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3