Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Cavalli Liquid Fire vs HeadAmp GS-X vs Woo Aduio WA22, WA5le vs Eddie Current Balancing Act vs Audio GD Master 8 vs RSA Dark Star vs SPL Phonitor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cavalli Liquid Fire vs HeadAmp GS-X vs Woo Aduio WA22, WA5le vs Eddie Current Balancing Act vs... - Page 2

post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

Tried others, the B22, GS-X, LF, WA5 - they all had their plusses (WA5 was great with the K1000, LF was a good all-arounder, B22 was a solid amp for planars) but as I said the BA did the best with the most - especially the HD800 and Audeze, which are my favorites.  It is also supposed to mate wonderfully with high efficiency like Grado, Denon, Fostex dynamics, etc., though I haven't owned any of those since I've owned the BA

 

The ones I have not had the chance to try that I have wondered about is the DNA Stratus and the Apex Pinnacle

 

As sleepy said, tube cost is also a factor, though the stock EH for $150 and TS for $20 are still pretty darn good. 

 

True, true. If for whatever reason you may have desired a solid state balanced amp what would you have considered?   On the tube end I had not considered the DNA,  looks great,  might need to do some research into it.


Edited by Maximilian - 10/15/12 at 4:48pm
post #17 of 23

The B22 and GS-X which I tried would be the front runners.  If I was personally in the market for balanced solid state I'd also check out the new schiit (which I haven't heard) and try to get a demo of the liquid gold as I have been very impressed with what I've heard from Cavalli thus far.

post #18 of 23
You are looking in the right neighborhood

- AMB Sigma/Beta 22, 4-Channel (YBM Audio)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
- Donald North Audio Stratus 2A3
- Eddie Current Balancing Act
- HeadAmp GS-X
- Ray Samuels Audio The Dark Star

Pick some headphones first see what you prefer between the Audeze, Beyerdynamic, Hifiman or Sennheiser with loaners. Then decide upon an amp. All of these are well regarded by many. Which one that you'll prefer will depend on a number of variables.

Headphones first
Amp second
DAC third
Cables fourth
post #19 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

The B22 and GS-X which I tried would be the front runners.  If I was personally in the market for balanced solid state I'd also check out the new schiit (which I haven't heard) and try to get a demo of the liquid gold as I have been very impressed with what I've heard from Cavalli thus far.


That seems consistent with my feelings thus far,  I actually emailed Cavalli after reading your post to get some more info on the liquid gold.  Demos, demos, demos,  where do people usually do their demoing?  I don't see any local meets coming up and I would feel strange asking a member to play with their expensive toys.

post #20 of 23

Not exactly walking distance, but there's a Sand Diego meet coming up in a couple weeks:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624972/san-diego-head-fi-meet-saturday-november-3rd-2012

 

You up for a road trip?


Edited by Radio_head - 10/15/12 at 5:33pm
post #21 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

Not exactly walking distance, but there's a Sand Diego meet coming up in a couple weeks:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624972/san-diego-head-fi-meet-saturday-november-3rd-2012

 

You up for a road trip?

 

I probably should,  I missed the last big bay area meet and have yet to forgive myself.

post #22 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post

You are looking in the right neighborhood
- AMB Sigma/Beta 22, 4-Channel (YBM Audio)
- Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
- Donald North Audio Stratus 2A3
- Eddie Current Balancing Act
- HeadAmp GS-X
- Ray Samuels Audio The Dark Star
Pick some headphones first see what you prefer between the Audeze, Beyerdynamic, Hifiman or Sennheiser with loaners. Then decide upon an amp. All of these are well regarded by many. Which one that you'll prefer will depend on a number of variables.
Headphones first
Amp second
DAC third
Cables fourth

 

Have you had a chance to try all of these?

post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post

Have you had a chance to try all of these?

Nope...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Cavalli Liquid Fire vs HeadAmp GS-X vs Woo Aduio WA22, WA5le vs Eddie Current Balancing Act vs Audio GD Master 8 vs RSA Dark Star vs SPL Phonitor