Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project - Page 68

post #1006 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

Regarding those resistors and their application, I'm not sure of the benefits entirely in comparison, or if they would be beneficial to add...it does look similar to HiFiMan's own adapter posted by wuwhere earlier in this thread:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project/165#post_8875942

 

If I'm reading this right, it seems as though they used 10ohm resistors to 'absorb' some of the current?

 

The ol' hifiman box. The hifiman box does the same thing as Mal's little contraption, in effect. It puts the resistors in line with the signal. I believe there was some looking into that box and people were a little disappointed as it lowered the SQ of the sound signal. I was wondering what would happen if they were in parallel, and not series. Anyone help ? 

post #1007 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

The ol' hifiman box. The hifiman box does the same thing as Mal's little contraption, in effect. It puts the resistors in line with the signal. I believe there was some looking into that box and people were a little disappointed as it lowered the SQ of the sound signal. I was wondering what would happen if they were in parallel, and not series. Anyone help ? 

Maybe this thread could help

http://www.head-fi.org/t/649107/speaker-amps-for-headphones 

post #1008 of 3639
I've recently made an amp discovery I would like to share. I have been looking for a speaker amp to drive my Paradox headphones, having heard how they sound out of the speaker taps of my Musical Fidelity A1 amp. Having been into audio since the mid 1970s, and having owned and listened to a wide range of very excellent gear, some of it considered reference level, I have a pretty good idea about what constitutes really good sound. But, I admit I am relatively new to the headphone end of things. We are now getting into the realm of speaker amps, and I believe that it's not just a matter of more power, but also the fidelity of said amp. That is likely why people are using Don Garber SE amps, Nelson Pass First Watt amps, and others costing multi thousands of dollars. I need to go the 'economical' route.

In doing a lot of web research, I came upon an amp by TBI called the Millenia MG3. Rated at 30 watts/channel on ac, and 10 watts/channel on batteries, it seemed power wise to be a good choice. There have been glowing reviews which compared the amp to some pretty esoteric gear. The TBI sells for $500 (with a 30 day trial period). Several weeks ago I took the plunge. Jan - the designer - worked with me tirelessly to help get the amp to work properly with my headphones. What needed to be addressed first is the fact that the headphones are single ended and the amps' negative grounds are not shared. Also, there was gain background hiss. He suggested some resistors to use, and described to me how to arrange them ahead of the headphones. Things were promising. Then he came up with what I call his magic box, with some resistors that not only address the above issues, but if I understand it correctly, allow the amp to see a more appropriate impedance match for the amp. End result is astonishing sound quality.

Jan went above and beyond to help me out. I am very grateful to him for that. But with the end result being the level of sound quality I am getting over my Paradox headphones (which continue to prove to be astonishing in their own right), I wanted to put out the word in case any others were interested to check it out.

Here are some links that are relevant to the Millenia. There are others. It also received the Positive Feedback Award last year.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue62/millenia.htm
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue64/awards.htm
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108242.0
post #1009 of 3639

SMG52,

 

Wow!  I've read everything I can find on Jan Plummer's creation and I'm hooked.  I want one!

 

Thanks so much for posting this!

 

I have to calm down before I take the plunge, but I think I'll be following in your footsteps.

 

tongue_smile.gif

 

Mike

post #1010 of 3639
After spending several hours going through my music collection, I had to calm myself down before posting something, or I thought people would blow me off!
post #1011 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

SMG52,

 

Wow!  I've read everything I can find on Jan Plummer's creation and I'm hooked.  I want one!

 

Thanks so much for posting this!

 

I have to calm down before I take the plunge, but I think I'll be following in your footsteps.

 

tongue_smile.gif

 

Mike

 

I'm with you, super interesting.

post #1012 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaval View Post

Maybe this thread could help

http://www.head-fi.org/t/649107/speaker-amps-for-headphones 

 

 

Definitely a wealth of useful information there it seems, thanks for pointing this thread out!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMG52 View Post

I've recently made an amp discovery I would like to share. I have been looking for a speaker amp to drive my Paradox headphones, having heard how they sound out of the speaker taps of my Musical Fidelity A1 amp. Having been into audio since the mid 1970s, and having owned and listened to a wide range of very excellent gear, some of it considered reference level, I have a pretty good idea about what constitutes really good sound. But, I admit I am relatively new to the headphone end of things. We are now getting into the realm of speaker amps, and I believe that it's not just a matter of more power, but also the fidelity of said amp. That is likely why people are using Don Garber SE amps, Nelson Pass First Watt amps, and others costing multi thousands of dollars. I need to go the 'economical' route.

In doing a lot of web research, I came upon an amp by TBI called the Millenia MG3. Rated at 30 watts/channel on ac, and 10 watts/channel on batteries, it seemed power wise to be a good choice. There have been glowing reviews which compared the amp to some pretty esoteric gear. The TBI sells for $500 (with a 30 day trial period). Several weeks ago I took the plunge. Jan - the designer - worked with me tirelessly to help get the amp to work properly with my headphones. What needed to be addressed first is the fact that the headphones are single ended and the amps' negative grounds are not shared. Also, there was gain background hiss. He suggested some resistors to use, and described to me how to arrange them ahead of the headphones. Things were promising. Then he came up with what I call his magic box, with some resistors that not only address the above issues, but if I understand it correctly, allow the amp to see a more appropriate impedance match for the amp. End result is astonishing sound quality.

Jan went above and beyond to help me out. I am very grateful to him for that. But with the end result being the level of sound quality I am getting over my Paradox headphones (which continue to prove to be astonishing in their own right), I wanted to put out the word in case any others were interested to check it out.

Here are some links that are relevant to the Millenia. There are others. It also received the Positive Feedback Award last year.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue62/millenia.htm
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue64/awards.htm
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108242.0

 

Intriguing little amp this is indeed.  I am now wondering what resistor cocktail he used in his 'magic box', and if a similar configuration would benefit other speaker amps setups as well.  This is definitely one to consider down the road...

 

Time for some more research!

post #1013 of 3639

It's got a 30 day return policy, who wants to bite :D

post #1014 of 3639

Just wanted to say that if anyone is interested in the Millenia, and wishes to connect with Jan about it, he has been incredibly helpful and responsive to all my emails and calls. More so than anyone else in the business I've had dealings with. At times I felt like I was taking TOO much of his time, but he continued to be responsive and helpful. Of course, as with all things, YMMV..... but that's been my experience. How often do you email or call a business, and it's the engineer/designer that picks up the phone or emails you back.... 

post #1015 of 3639

Jan Meier (of Meier Audio) is my fave, in that regard - it's a rare opportunity, indeed.

post #1016 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

It's got a 30 day return policy, who wants to bite :D

 

E,

 

You know you should be the first one to bite.  Just think back to the a-100..  biggrin.gif

post #1017 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

E,

 

You know you should be the first one to bite.  Just think back to the a-100..  biggrin.gif

 

I'm very tempted on that unit. Reminds me of the Virtue Audio Two.2 I had. Although, I do like the emotiva more than that virtue audio I had.

post #1018 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG52 View Post

Just wanted to say that if anyone is interested in the Millenia, and wishes to connect with Jan about it, he has been incredibly helpful and responsive to all my emails and calls. More so than anyone else in the business I've had dealings with. At times I felt like I was taking TOO much of his time, but he continued to be responsive and helpful. Of course, as with all things, YMMV..... but that's been my experience. How often do you email or call a business, and it's the engineer/designer that picks up the phone or emails you back.... 

Jan is a great guy.

 

I bought a refurb one from him delivered to Europe. It had the latest AC mod but NOT the newest parts mod that caused a new tour to be created at AudioCircle. Apparently this new mod is worthy of a Mark 2 designation and is a significant leap forward in sound quality even over the superb Mk1. The Mk2 mod apparently costs about $50!!! Pity I am not in the US...

post #1019 of 3639

Is the opamp upgrade worth it on the TubeMagic D2?  I've been reading a lot on these and I'm pretty damn sure that this DAC would be my next purchase.
 

post #1020 of 3639
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

Where did you end up getting your resistor from?

 

This article was referenced in the Speaker amps for headphones thread:

 

http://www.duelundaudio.com/downloads/Resistorsvol5no3HIFICriticHiRes.pdf

 

Testing various resistors in a crossover network, HiFiCritic's results indicate that the "Dueland Cast" resistor outperformed the rest:

 

 

Quote:
Duelund CAST: 79% 
“Did not sound like a resistor”, the CAST sounded 
neutral, transparent, free from audible distortion or 
emphasis, with excellent clarity and detail, good plus 
dynamics, and very good rhythm. The non-CAST
construction Duelunds at half the price will clearly be 
also worth trying despite (or because of) their negative 
temperature coefficient, which is claimed to compensate 
to some degree for medium term compression due to 
voice coil heating. (For this to work properly, the two 
time constants would need to be matched, which seems 
unlikely.)

 

http://www.duelundaudio.com/Resistors.asp

 

http://www.duelundaudio.com/Distributors.asp

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project