Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Apple EarPods Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple EarPods Appreciation Thread - Page 8

post #106 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post


Didn't say they are alike but if the earpods can beat the m50 in sound quality then my friend who's thinking about getting the m50 can save some money

no. If your friend is willing to sacrifice sound quality and save $120, then sure.

 

I think the earpods are going through the FOTM period. http://www.head-fi.org/t/629283/mini-review-thoughts-on-apple-earpods-as-compared-to-the-old-ibuds

post #107 of 308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenium View Post

The M50 and the Earpods sound nothing alike. Nothing. Going from memory, the M50s are bassier with more recessed mids and a less airy and open sound. Of course, we're comparing an earbud to a full-size can that has a completely different signature
I think I like the "open and airy" sound of the EarPods. However, the fit and feel has to be totally different - it's kind of a big deal if you need isolation or not, right? I don't need isolation, and I love the way the EarPods sound; however, I do wish they had ear hooks or memory wire for a secure over-the-ear fit.
post #108 of 308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthem View Post

no. If your friend is willing to sacrifice sound quality and save $120, then sure.

I think the earpods are going through the FOTM period. http://www.head-fi.org/t/629283/mini-review-thoughts-on-apple-earpods-as-compared-to-the-old-ibuds

I don't really think so (regarding FOTM) we're just the same people talking about the same product - Sony Mh1c is FOTM right now - people are losing their minds. But I really like my free EarPods, so the Sonys could be super amazing too.
post #109 of 308
These things still don't stay in my ears, much like their bud predecessor. For the fact that they were marketed as being compatible with "hundreds" of different ear types, they get a big solid "meh" from me.
post #110 of 308

They sound pretty good, as long as I walk around with my fingers in my ears keeping them from falling out.

post #111 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthem View Post

no. If your friend is willing to sacrifice sound quality and save $120, then sure.

I think the earpods are going through the FOTM period. http://www.head-fi.org/t/629283/mini-review-thoughts-on-apple-earpods-as-compared-to-the-old-ibuds

Thanks for the link, the reviewer ljokerl was the reviewer I trusted when I decided to get my etymotic research hf5, he no doubt is a more seasoned audiophile but I think he and I hear things kind of similarly. My impressions of the hf5 and the skullcandy inkd (don't judge me, and I have to say the inkd to me was not bad for the 10 bucks I paid) were very close to what his reviews said. I never heard the monoprice before but I did and still do have the ibuds (but no longer listen). And after reading his review, I do have a fairly decent idea of what the earpods sound like. Thanks.
post #112 of 308
I guess most people are having problems fitting the earpod's into there ears.
post #113 of 308
I guess most people are having problems fitting the earpod's into there ears.
post #114 of 308

I think they're an improvement on the Apple Premium Earphones from a while back, They - to me just sounded like the regular earbuds with a CX300 type bass signature attached with poor isolation and a penchant for showing the world just *how* waxy your ears can get with the transparent tips. 

 

I found the earpods to be a little bit too large for my ears so I didn't really give them much of a go... HOWEVER - they just so happen to be one of the best free sets of 'phones I've heard. 

I wouldn't buy them separately but I certainly wouldn't scoff at them. The only down side, as mentioned heavily; is the bass - excessive, as with all entry earphones - that was without having a proper seal! 

 

For once, well done Apple. 

post #115 of 308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phntmsmshr View Post

These things still don't stay in my ears, much like their bud predecessor. For the fact that they were marketed as being compatible with "hundreds" of different ear types, they get a big solid "meh" from me.

Try earbud covers; seriously.
post #116 of 308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru57y View Post

I think they're an improvement on the Apple Premium Earphones from a while back, They - to me just sounded like the regular earbuds with a CX300 type bass signature attached with poor isolation and a penchant for showing the world just *how* waxy your ears can get with the transparent tips. 

I found the earpods to be a little bit too large for my ears so I didn't really give them much of a go... HOWEVER - they just so happen to be one of the best free sets of 'phones I've heard. 
I wouldn't buy them separately but I certainly wouldn't scoff at them. The only down side, as mentioned heavily; is the bass - excessive, as with all entry earphones - that was without having a proper seal! 

For once, well done Apple. 
Cool, as mentioned, try earbud covers for fit, and burn-in for sound. For me, the mid-bass boost seemed to spread out after burn in. All of a sudden the midrange came out and started to sound wonderful. Now guitars and vocals are rich and detailed, and I like it a lot.
post #117 of 308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon View Post

Thanks for the link, the reviewer ljokerl was the reviewer I trusted when I decided to get my etymotic research hf5, he no doubt is a more seasoned audiophile but I think he and I hear things kind of similarly. My impressions of the hf5 and the skullcandy inkd (don't judge me, and I have to say the inkd to me was not bad for the 10 bucks I paid) were very close to what his reviews said. I never heard the monoprice before but I did and still do have the ibuds (but no longer listen). And after reading his review, I do have a fairly decent idea of what the earpods sound like. Thanks.

I read the mini-review. It is very accurate (as you would expect) about the sound of the EarPods out of the box. I would say the wide soundstage and clarity stay the same; however, earbud covers help the bass go deeper. Also, joker mentioned pushing the main nozzle in to get better fit and sound. I definitely felt this way too and the earbud covers help to hold the EarPods in place. I think after trying with earbud covers the main deal-breaker for most will be isolation (because there is none) not fit.

Edit: Here are some links for the "mods"
http://www.head-fi.org/t/627103/earpods-its-what-apple-calls-its-next-gen-earbuds-fancy-anyone/285#post_8760668

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627103/earpods-its-what-apple-calls-its-next-gen-earbuds-fancy-anyone/270#post_8751242

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627103/earpods-its-what-apple-calls-its-next-gen-earbuds-fancy-anyone/150#post_8707158


Edited by iPhone IEM - 11/20/12 at 10:22am
post #118 of 308
Haha mod for earpods, you guys are so crazy tongue.gif
post #119 of 308

My impressions copied and translated from another forum:

 

 

I've got to say, they do sound fine. Definetly a BIG upgrade over the iBuds, mainly in soundstage and bass. Imaging is consistent, good instrument separation and airiness. It's not the most refined sound in the world, but it is effective in its presentation.
 
Port design is very clever, interrupting any of the openings really changes sound. Ports are common in home / car audio, even some headphones benefit from some sort of porting, but I had never seen it implemented in such a way.
 
As for their signature: Sound is really focused towards mid-bass and mid-highs, probably to give a sensation of loudness, which can result fatiguing. In fact, I used them for a couple of hours and was already feeling some irritation, after break in the harshness has improved but it's still present. They sound particulary well with dance and pop music, and I have to say I was surprised by their performance with classical music and piano (perhaps because of their open design).
 
They're VERY sensitive to ear positioning. Too tight and you get too much bass, too loose and bass disappears. Aimed up and down alters behavior of the higher frequencies and mids, etc..
 
As for fit and comfort, I'm not really a fan of hard plastic against my ear. It fits really nice in my right ear, but left ear is a problem as I can't get a good fit, therefore left and right sides sound very different unless I press on the left pod. This just about kills it for me. But to be fair, it is more of a personal anatomic problem and I think most people won't have this issue. I'm going to try and see if cushion covers improve comfort or else I'll just sell them to the first Apple fanboy/girl across my path.
 
Generally speaking, they're competent, I believe they have a sound that will be liked by most people, and it will sure be welcome to those who don't want to spend on headphones beyond what came bundled. 
 
For $30 you can do much worse, I think they have a good price / performance ratio. They have their virtues, but also their deficiencies, to my ears they're not even close to mid-tier IEM's (no match for my X10's), and I honestly believe that saying they have been overhyped is quite an understatement.
 
My conclusion is that they sound very good for being "stock", and even at $30 they are a good alternative, but are definetly not in the same leage as higher priced (and reputable) IEMs. Of course sound is all about tastes, so YMMV.
post #120 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektrospeed View Post

My impressions copied and translated from another forum:

 

 

I've got to say, they do sound fine. Definetly a BIG upgrade over the iBuds, mainly in soundstage and bass. Imaging is consistent, good instrument separation and airiness. It's not the most refined sound in the world, but it is effective in its presentation.
 
Port design is very clever, interrupting any of the openings really changes sound. Ports are common in home / car audio, even some headphones benefit from some sort of porting, but I had never seen it implemented in such a way.
 
As for their signature: Sound is really focused towards mid-bass and mid-highs, probably to give a sensation of loudness, which can result fatiguing. In fact, I used them for a couple of hours and was already feeling some irritation, after break in the harshness has improved but it's still present. They sound particulary well with dance and pop music, and I have to say I was surprised by their performance with classical music and piano (perhaps because of their open design).
 
They're VERY sensitive to ear positioning. Too tight and you get too much bass, too loose and bass disappears. Aimed up and down alters behavior of the higher frequencies and mids, etc..
 
As for fit and comfort, I'm not really a fan of hard plastic against my ear. It fits really nice in my right ear, but left ear is a problem as I can't get a good fit, therefore left and right sides sound very different unless I press on the left pod. This just about kills it for me. But to be fair, it is more of a personal anatomic problem and I think most people won't have this issue. I'm going to try and see if cushion covers improve comfort or else I'll just sell them to the first Apple fanboy/girl across my path.
 
Generally speaking, they're competent, I believe they have a sound that will be liked by most people, and it will sure be welcome to those who don't want to spend on headphones beyond what came bundled. 
 
For $30 you can do much worse, I think they have a good price / performance ratio. They have their virtues, but also their deficiencies, to my ears they're not even close to mid-tier IEM's (no match for my X10's), and I honestly believe that saying they have been overhyped is quite an understatement.
 
My conclusion is that they sound very good for being "stock", and even at $30 they are a good alternative, but are definetly not in the same leage as higher priced (and reputable) IEMs. Of course sound is all about tastes, so YMMV.

The more i listen to the earpods (waiting to get my ue 700 perhaps?) I notice the same issues.  I'll listen to music for a while and notice the bass is lacking, only to find they have slightly settled out of my ear a tad.  Too deep and the bass is too widespread.  Too loose not enough bass.  The highs are my problem thought.  They sound great for the price and whatnot, but they are fatiguing.  The offer more high clarity than my sony ex85lp but they sound more like they are dynamically compressed in certain frequencies and somehow harsh in a certain way.

 

I can't listen to them as long or as often as my sonys.  And when I think about it it's even worse ;) haha.  There are times with the space and clarity sound really good for a $30 headphone, but other times that something just doesn't sound right in the frequency mix.  Primarily a hump in the mid bass and mid high as mentioned.  I think they are an excellent 'value' and great for someone who can't afford more, but I can't wait for my next IE...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Apple EarPods Appreciation Thread