Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) - Page 229

post #3421 of 7360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post

haha, waiting for TW3. Going to buy the quietest card that runs the game in 1440p. Afraid that the 7970 may not be enough, and the 290c is too loud

GTX 780/780ti or wait for 3rd party r9 290's or watercool a 290.
post #3422 of 7360
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkswan View Post


GTX 780/780ti or wait for 3rd party r9 290's or watercool a 290.

waiting for a third party 290. My system is a mITX, and I use open headphones. HD6850 is too loud, and my card runs much quieter than what AMD has to offer at the moment.

 

780 isn't exactly price friendly, but would be better for Linux. AMD suposedly has better support, yet vsync in unity causes some ugly frame issues.... (don't judge me :P)

post #3423 of 7360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post

waiting for a third party 290. My system is an mITX, and I use open headphones.a

mITX is sweet. Just make sure you have some good fans on your case because without adequate airflow that 290 will turn it into a furnace.
post #3424 of 7360
post #3425 of 7360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazen View Post
 

waiting for a third party 290. My system is a mITX, and I use open headphones. HD6850 is too loud, and my card runs much quieter than what AMD has to offer at the moment.

 

780 isn't exactly price friendly, but would be better for Linux. AMD suposedly has better support, yet vsync in unity causes some ugly frame issues.... (don't judge me :P)

I judge you....you heretic!

 

Go with LXDE or E17.  LXDE is for me due to the super low memory requirements and the fact that I don't need the bells and whistles that other environments give.  Just about the only time I reach for a mouse anyways is when I am ready to fire up a Steam game.  If one must absolutely have the bling than E17 (which I've played around with and spent waaaay to much time customising) is a good alternative that is almost as light.

post #3426 of 7360
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthesauce View Post
 

I judge you....you heretic!

 

Go with LXDE or E17.  LXDE is for me due to the super low memory requirements and the fact that I don't need the bells and whistles that other environments give.  Just about the only time I reach for a mouse anyways is when I am ready to fire up a Steam game.  If one must absolutely have the bling than E17 (which I've played around with and spent waaaay to much time customising) is a good alternative that is almost as light.

 

Heretic haha!

 

I like bells and whistles, and unity is better than vanilla kde/gnome. If I'm concerned about memory, I usually opt for LXDE.

 

I hate unity, but its a leap ahead of the pack in terms of polish. I wish MATE would take off faster, gnome2 rocked xp

post #3427 of 7360
Thread Starter 

What in the world is AMD doing?

 

Their 7870 GHz edition cards are now $108 at the least and averaging $130 after MIR. The nearest comparable Nvidia GPU (660 Ti) is $260(at the least) and averaging around $280-$320

post #3428 of 7360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

What in the world is AMD doing?

 

Their 7870 GHz edition cards are now $108 at the least and averaging $130 after MIR. The nearest comparable Nvidia GPU (660 Ti) is $260(at the least) and averaging around $280-$320

Raking in all of NVIDIA's customers and getting rid of old stock (although the new cards are just copies of some of the older cards with a slight overclock and support for bridge-less crossfire).

post #3429 of 7360
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
 

Raking in all of NVIDIA's customers and getting rid of old stock (although the new cards are just copies of some of the older cards with a slight overclock and support for bridge-less crossfire).

ALL HAIL OUR AMD OVERLORDS FOR GETTING RID OF STOCK AT SUCH CHEAP ASS ****** PRICES.

 

I thought about going Nvidia a few months ago as they were kinda beating them a bit but now that I can get a 7870 GHz Edition for $108. I'm just gonna buy two and say screw you to the 660 Ti that still costs $260-$320

 

Yeah, CFX micro stutter, driver issues, game compatability, VRAM mirroring etc etc. But screw it.

 

My rationale is that if a game doesn't support CFx and AMD hasn't released drivers for it +/- a month after game release then its a small time game that will run well on a single 7870 GHz edition anyway. 

 

The 650 Ti that went on sale for 8% discount yesterday sold the hell out.....like wtf are their customers still doing? Sure, the $150 it sold at is almost half the 660ti's $260-$320 price.......but hahahah hahaha.

 

I ain't even mad I can't get BF4 Never Settle with the CFx of old cards. I don't even play BF3.

post #3430 of 7360

They've improved performance a lot with the driver updates. I can pull quite a bit more frames from my A10-5800K. They've also tried improving the frame-facing algorithm which as worked fairly well. AMD is on a roll again.

 

Hopefully that carries over to Kaveri.

post #3431 of 7360
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post
 

They've improved performance a lot with the driver updates. I can pull quite a bit more frames from my A10-5800K. They've also tried improving the frame-facing algorithm which as worked fairly well. AMD is on a roll again.

 

Hopefully that carries over to Kaveri.

I'm just sad that the Never Settle is not even 10% as amazing as it was last year

 

but then again, we can't have everything

post #3432 of 7360
Thread Starter 

Anybody here have an AMD Crossfire Bridge they don't need and would be willing to just drop in the mail and send to me for free and in where I pay for shipping? 

 

Just a question is all?

 

.... I lost my old one 

post #3433 of 7360
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

Anybody here have an AMD Crossfire Bridge they don't need and would be willing to just drop in the mail and send to me for free and in where I pay for shipping? 

 

Just a question is all?

 

.... I lost my old one 

 

Don't new cards come with one?

post #3434 of 7360
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlylover View Post
 

 

Don't new cards come with one?

NOPE.. Not all of them do.

 

I'm buying cheapo reference card so it doesn't have one.

 

Sure I could just buy one online for $6 with the money I saved but hell, if someone here has one and doesn't want it. (USA/CA) then hell yeah. I'll pay for shipping.

post #3435 of 7360
 
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post
 

Sure I could just buy one online for $6 with the money I saved but hell, if someone here has one and doesn't want it. (USA/CA) then hell yeah. I'll pay for shipping.

 

Pay the $6 you cheap bastard. :p

 

I'd help, but I'm on the other side of the world.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)