Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Special Forums › Premier Sponsor Forums and Sponsor Forums › Sponsor Forums › FiiO › Issues about Apple's new " lightning " connector
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Issues about Apple's new " lightning " connector

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

We all noticed that Apple gave up the traditional 30pin dock connector and used a new " lightning " connector in their new iPhone 5, Nano 7 and new Touch. we have not get any detail 

 

technical specification of it. but it is said the new connector will only transfers digital signal but not analog signal. anyway, we will try to track the newest information about the " lightning "

 

and change our line up asap.

post #2 of 14

There are MANY different conjectures right now on what is happening.

 

  1. The pins are all said to be digital signals, and thus even with the adapter, Analog audio out form DAC won't work anymore
  2. The pins were said to be digital but it allows for FULL function of what Apple had before, analgo out will work form DAC out, same situation as before.
  3. The pins are all said to be digital signals, all audio products using a dock will be using DAC's in them as well now and companies like FiiO can just go and make one
  4. The pins are all said to be digital signals, all audio products using a dock will be using DAC's that are officially lisenced with Apple as they have been. Current DAC bypass products need to get Apple's approval and "decryption" use code (not yet sure if there is one) to use the DAC and thus we are back to step 1 of affordable companies not being able to get the lsience for it.

 

I say conjecture on it being full digital as hey, the news people may have messed up?

 

 

Hopefully it's number 3.

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 

Apple made a wrong decision, because they should known that it means all the accessory will be very expensive and  end customer can't afford the price.

 

All MFi( Made For iDevice) licensee have to pay a lots of money to test the products and pay very high licence fee to Apple . Also Apple are limited the quantity of  the licensee so the competition is not so hard as

 

other consumer products. the only result is that all accessory for iDevice become luxury products.  

post #4 of 14
That is what I expected them to do and we shall see what happens. Most people in united states already buy products that are real and have these lisences so it wont be trouble here, however yes, more lixury elsewhere IF people buy real ones which I dont see happen too often. Like how you built the first lisences dolby reciever in China.

Basically nothing has changed, analog out is gone, the dac chip is in the adapter from what i have heard or with b and w speakers and other official speaker docks it seems a dac is now inside which doesnt matter as companies like you cant use or make the lisenced products nd quite honestly many companies can use lackluster dac if they want. The ones in iPhones measure the best out of any flagship mass marketed smartphone and sounds good.
post #5 of 14

So what should I do if i want an amp or DAC for my new ipod touch 5th generation? Im new to all this and the new lightning connector is making it really hard for me. lol

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeGz View Post

So what should I do if i want an amp or DAC for my new ipod touch 5th generation? Im new to all this and the new lightning connector is making it really hard for me. lol

You have a few choices:

1) Sell/return your 5G iPod touch and but a get a new/used 4G iPod touch or iPhone 4/4S

2) Buy a MFi certified DAC or DAC/AMP combo, but that's means spending more money ($200~$600 more)

3) Wait it out and see if anyone will make a LOD cable for the Lightning connector

 

Option 1 is great if you don't need the latest and greatest tech, many options in the used market because people are sell their iPhones to get the iPhone 5

Option 2 is probably the most expensive, but is "futureproof" if you plan on sticking with iDevices

Option 3... could take a week or a year, who knows....

post #7 of 14
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannytang View Post

You have a few choices:

1) Sell/return your 5G iPod touch and but a get a new/used 4G iPod touch or iPhone 4/4S

2) Buy a MFi certified DAC or DAC/AMP combo, but that's means spending more money ($200~$600 more)

3) Wait it out and see if anyone will make a LOD cable for the Lightning connector

 

Option 1 is great if you don't need the latest and greatest tech, many options in the used market because people are sell their iPhones to get the iPhone 5

Option 2 is probably the most expensive, but is "futureproof" if you plan on sticking with iDevices

Option 3... could take a week or a year, who knows....

Yeah all these things I've considered its just a hard choice -__-

For 1 as soon as i saw the E17 i considered this

For 2 I wanted to get the Algorythm Solo but then i saw the price lol

And 3 I hope it wont take too long because i really dont want to buy the adapter 

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 

I can understand your situation, but we can't change Apple. anyway, the world move away from Apple.

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

I can understand your situation, but we can't change Apple. anyway, the world move away from Apple.

 

they want to have control over everything, eg. maps

android is getting better but you gotta give some credit to their marketing and dead simple ui

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 

Apple is not unbeatable, especially when Jobs gone. I change to Android phone for 2 years, now I can't change back to the small screen of iPhone because I am old and hard to see the small letters on iPhone 4 or even iPhone 5.

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao View Post

Apple is not unbeatable, especially when Jobs gone. I change to Android phone for 2 years, now I can't change back to the small screen of iPhone because I am old and hard to see the small letters on iPhone 4 or even iPhone 5.

Its just so hard making that change since thats all I've know since I was 13 and got the ipod nano with all my money. But what are some descent but cheap portable players that I could mayby get on the side that are compatible with the E17 DAC?


Edited by GabeGz - 9/25/12 at 2:49pm
post #13 of 14
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeGz View Post

Its just so hard making that change since thats all I've know since I was 13 and got the ipod nano with all my money. But what are some descent but cheap portable players that I could mayby get on the side that are compatible with the E17 DAC?

 

Not there are some DAP which support digital out or line out, like the iriver AK100, HM601/2/3, HM801, also we will release a DAP which called X3 , support both line out and digital out.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: FiiO
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Special Forums › Premier Sponsor Forums and Sponsor Forums › Sponsor Forums › FiiO › Issues about Apple's new " lightning " connector