Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[New] Philips Fidelio X1 - Page 332

post #4966 of 4977
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

Anyone have a clue what to do about a pad slowly pulling away from the base? :(

 

It's really minor, but I dunno what to do to prevent it from spreading. Small layer of superglue around the rest maybe? I don't care about that one spot, I just don't want it to get worse.

 

I've seen this in a set I purchased via eBay-was sold at a very low price and was sealed but...one of the cups was like yours pictured only a bit worse. Fortunately the seller had a return option and as I didn't see any easy way to repair them-returned them for a refund. Sometimes the old adage..."If it looks too good to be true-it probably is"..comes into play.


Edited by rabbitsfoot - Today at 4:52 am
post #4967 of 4977
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsfoot View Post
 

I've seen this in a set I purchased via eBay-was sold at a very low price and was sealed but...one of the cups was like yours pictured only a bit worse. Fortunately the seller had a return option and as I didn't see any easy way to repair them-returned them for a refund. Sometimes the old adage..."If it looks too good to be true-it probably is"..comes into play.

 

Not an eBay purchase but I appreciate your random assumption. 

post #4968 of 4977
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Not an eBay purchase but I appreciate your random assumption. 


Thanks- just my experience- no assumption intended. Glad you're enjoying the phones-they are fun and easy to just get into the music.

post #4969 of 4977

They sound phenomenal, no doubt. Just gotta figure out what to do with my pads now. 

post #4970 of 4977

Remove pads. Sew that loose part. Put back pad. Or, install DT-880 pads.

post #4971 of 4977
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

Remove pads. Sew that loose part. Put back pad. Or, install DT-880 pads.

 

Hm. Any guides out there for how to do that? I thought these things were pretty much sealed for good. If it can be done without ruining things I'll give it a go. 

post #4972 of 4977
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

Remove pads. Sew that loose part. Put back pad. Or, install DT-880 pads.

 

  The defective set I had looked (and felt) like there was some type of adhesive on the end of the fabric as if it was attached to something and the glue didn't hold. Not sure about this. I did read the posts about dis-assembly (might have been yours coil) but after trying just a little pull on the back side of the cups to try and remove them, they didn't seem to want to come off easily and I was afraid further prying might break something, I decided better to just return the phones even though they sounded fine and I got a 'smokin' deal on 'em. It was a hard decision, I'm usually not afraid of getting involved in the 'guts' of item if need be.

post #4973 of 4977

Some pics of X1 pads removed (not mine):

 

I have removed my pads a lot of times already and installed back as they have never been removed. It`s using same pins system as X2 but glue is added between. That glue is like typical hot-gun-glue. It doesn`t get loose when pulling. You have to put something thin and strong between and then just bend/turn that and it will pop loose. Of course this should be done with care and from different sides before "final" pull since those locking pins can break if you don`t get it loose enough from all sides. 

Reason I removed my X1 pads is that I have small size ears and those pads are littlebit too deep/high and also foam is too firm imho to get good seal against head. So I started making my own custom velour pads but haven`t had time to finish it because lot testing is needed with pad material to get proper sound signature. 

 

Here`s X1 with DT-880 pads:

 

Would also buy DT-880 pads but I have no idea how they sound with X1 and since I like doing my own stuff, then going for custom made ;)


Edited by CoiL - Today at 9:29 am
post #4974 of 4977
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Some pics of X1 pads removed (not mine):

 

I have removed my pads a lot of times already and installed back as they have never been removed. It`s using same pins system as X2 but glue is added between. That glue is like typical hot-gun-glue. It doesn`t get loose when pulling. You have to put something thin and strong between and then just bend/turn that and it will pop loose. Of course this should be done with care and from different sides before "final" pull since those locking pins can break if you don`t get it loose enough from all sides. 

Reason I removed my X1 pads is that I have small size ears and those pads are littlebit too deep/high and also foam is too firm imho to get good seal against head. So I started making my own custom velour pads but haven`t had time to finish it because lot testing is needed with pad material to get proper sound signature. 

 

Here`s X1 with DT-880 pads:

 

Would also buy DT-880 pads but I have no idea how they sound with X1 and since I like doing my own stuff, then going for custom made ;)

 

 

 

@CoiL, thanks for the pics and explanation. I've read you say before that you have taken the pads off (actually, I've read you say it many times - people just don't seem to want to believe it lol). Do you know if you can purchase replacement X1 pads, or if the X2 pads would fit the X1?

post #4975 of 4977

No idea if there are replacement pads for sale or if X2 pads will fit. Imo, they should fit 1:1 based on information we know so far and pads locking system, align pin, cup size and build seems to be same. Only pins shape seems to be littlebit changed (seems like thicker pins plastic not to brake so easily).

 

Will try to do pics or maybe even video tomorrow when I reach home. I`m not bullshi**ing about X1 pads removal ;)

post #4976 of 4977
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiL View Post
 

No idea if there are replacement pads for sale or if X2 pads will fit. Imo, they should fit 1:1 based on information we know so far and pads locking system, align pin, cup size and build seems to be same. Only pins shape seems to be littlebit changed (seems like thicker pins plastic not to brake so easily).

 

Will try to do pics or maybe even video tomorrow when I reach home. I`m not bullshi**ing about X1 pads removal ;)

 

You can't bullshi* a bullshi**er lol!

 

Seriously though, that there's a good chance that the X2 pads may fit the X1's (assuming that they could be purchased separately from Phillips) is awesome. I probably will never need to replace my X1 pads, but the inability to do so bugged me a bit anyway (in the off chance that I ever needed to do it). So this is great.

post #4977 of 4977

I'd definitely be happy for that given that I need a replacement pair right now, haha.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [New] Philips Fidelio X1