Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking for some bass headgear
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for some bass headgear - Page 2

post #16 of 33
Thread Starter 

E17 / E11 don't have enough power? I thought they were overkill for the 900's

post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjoy View Post

E17 / E11 don't have enough power? I thought they were overkill for the 900's

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620151/looking-for-some-bass-headgear#post_8564443

 

Please re read my post. I posted from a user who had the Pro900 with E17 and he said they were driven easy...and like you say, overkill. 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618708/dac-amp-soundcard-amp-or-other-combo

post #18 of 33
Thread Starter 

Yea, read that wrong!
 

post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjoy View Post

Yea, read that wrong!
 

The PRO900s are a popular bass head choice as you seem to have decided on a headphone, thinking of your needs is next.

 

STX or E17 or any other choice you make. The STX is more static, the FiiO is more dynamic in terms of moving it and everything and uses. I'm not sure where I read it, but the STX should be superior to the E17. I can't get quoted proof this time.

post #20 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

The PRO900s are a popular bass head choice as you seem to have decided on a headphone, thinking of your needs is next.

 

STX or E17 or any other choice you make. The STX is more static, the FiiO is more dynamic in terms of moving it and everything and uses. I'm not sure where I read it, but the STX should be superior to the E17. I can't get quoted proof this time.

 

Yea thanks alot bowei. That's my debate at the moment, STX or E17.

post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjoy View Post

 

Yea thanks alot bowei. That's my debate at the moment, STX or E17.

I can't get into which one sounds better as I don't remember the source and people may differ but

 

The STX is more static and for desktop computers and can have op amp switching it seems. It also has gaming...modes with surround tech. But I have heard that it may not work well with some headphones due to high impendence

 

The E17 is more mobile , with a battery, aUX in with iPOD and all that other stuff.

post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzjoy View Post

 

Yea thanks alot bowei. That's my debate at the moment, STX or E17.

 

I think E17 is a better choice simply because it works with everything, without having to worry about impendence. 

post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialX View Post

 

I think E17 is a better choice simply because it works with everything, without having to worry about impendence. 

Well if you want to be portable, use with iPod around everywhere and what not then yes, but if the OP likes to game with surround and just needs a desktop setup with gaming surround then STX..if he doesn't need gaming surround....then a used audioengine or Audio gd will do or even a standalone DAC like the Musiland 01 with a amp will do, I don't recommend the o2 for bassy stuff. It goes well with it, but it's not as fun as say the NFB 12.1

post #24 of 33

The cmoybb can be purchased through jds labs on ebay (its what I did about a year ago): http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDS-Labs-Inc-cMoyBB-v2-03-Altoid-Tin-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Amp-/360472296313?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item53edd2bb79

 

you should ask them to tune it for your headphone when you place your order.  

I really couldn't recommend the pro 900s enough.  They really sound fantastic.  I would just be sure that you allow them enough time to burn in.  I am just reaching the 250 hour mark and I have been noticing amazing changes to something I already really enjoyed.  Soundstage seems more refined, the mids have come forward, the bass has become so much more defined and controlled, and the treble is nowhere near as harsh or silibant. and they are SO freaking detailed, I'm hearing things I've never been aware of before in music I've been listening to for years. Also, if you do end up getting them, be careful about positioning them, because it takes a lot of experimentation to find where they sound best.  As far as comfort goes, I really have no issues with mine what so ever.  Granted I upgraded from hfi780s, which I find to be pretty uncomfortable, but I still think these are pretty damn comfortable, and much better than they've been given credit for.  They're pretty big, but in a good way because they really surround your ears. Also, even though they are plastic, it's some really high quality plastic.  It's hard to describe, but they just feel so sturdy and not cheap at all.  I am so pleased with these things, they are 100% worth the investment.  

post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbattalio View Post

The cmoybb can be purchased through jds labs on ebay (its what I did about a year ago): http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDS-Labs-Inc-cMoyBB-v2-03-Altoid-Tin-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Amp-/360472296313?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item53edd2bb79

 

you should ask them to tune it for your headphone when you place your order.  

I really couldn't recommend the pro 900s enough.  They really sound fantastic.  I would just be sure that you allow them enough time to burn in.  I am just reaching the 250 hour mark and I have been noticing amazing changes to something I already really enjoyed.  Soundstage seems more refined, the mids have come forward, the bass has become so much more defined and controlled, and the treble is nowhere near as harsh or silibant. and they are SO freaking detailed, I'm hearing things I've never been aware of before in music I've been listening to for years. Also, if you do end up getting them, be careful about positioning them, because it takes a lot of experimentation to find where they sound best.  As far as comfort goes, I really have no issues with mine what so ever.  Granted I upgraded from hfi780s, which I find to be pretty uncomfortable, but I still think these are pretty damn comfortable, and much better than they've been given credit for.  They're pretty big, but in a good way because they really surround your ears. Also, even though they are plastic, it's some really high quality plastic.  It's hard to describe, but they just feel so sturdy and not cheap at all.  I am so pleased with these things, they are 100% worth the investment.  

x2...v comfy...v solid built.. high clarity without ear hurting sharpness.. actually it sounded fabulous with my Lyr too. just a slightly warmer soundsig than s/s amps.

my dacportLX fuel this 900 effortlessly too.

all the best~!!

post #26 of 33
Thread Starter 

Thank you all for all the helpful replies.

 

I'm absolutely going with the 900's, I've done a great deal of reading and I've decided on these.

 

Any suggestions on if I should E17, Zo2 or an Essence STX?

post #27 of 33
Thread Starter 

Well, I've ruled out the Zo2, I've read several places they don't work to good with the 900's.

 

I've read the STX out performs the E17, but the E17 has lower impedance.. How important is the low impedance on the headphone jack?

post #28 of 33
It means you can uae lower impendence headphones on the e17 without hissing and technically better sound performance


Chek the impendence of the pro 900 and compare to stx, make sure it is not lower
post #29 of 33

700

post #30 of 33

I'd say that generally, find an amp that will compliment the pro900s weaknesses.  Something neutral but slightly on the warmer side.  I'm using the rsa p-51 mustang and I find it works perfectly with them.  These things really do scale with your amp though, much better than you'd expect because they are pretty low ohm. 

 

Also, I'd be aware that throughout the burnin process, the bass can seriously just disappear at points.  A few times I was seriously confused, almost to the point that I thought I had somehow managed to damage the drivers on these things because the bass would go from the Best thing I've ever heard (no exaggeration) to really underwhelming.  But it totally comes back, just be patient and keep burning them in. I swear though, I don't know what ultrasone does but they have the strangest burn ins.  

 

Also I had a run in where I didn't have the pad all the way in on one side and the bass was noticeably lesser.  I was convinced I had a broken driver for a day and then I tightened the pad and it was fine.  

 
Additionally, I find that these things and generally any s-logic headphone (this was true for my HF780s as well), going up in volume will cause the sound stage to sound less refined.  I still like ot listen loud occasionally, and they still sound good, and the sound stage is still solid, but at more average (totally enjoyable) listening volumes, they really shine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Looking for some bass headgear