Im looking to get some headphones that are good for a cheap price. What i mainly look for is comfort so please help me out on this one. Looking for around a 100
- productAKG Acoustics K240 Monitoring Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M35 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productPhilips O'Neill SHO9560/28 Over-Ear Headphones (Black Bordeaux)tagged by System, 7/6/12
- productPhilips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptowntagged by System, 7/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 202 Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productSennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Blacktagged by System, 7/6/12
- productShure SRH240 Professional Quality Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/6/12More
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Office recommendations Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggestions for bass heavy headphones. Last post on 9/10/12 at 8:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for Electronic music (Mainly UK Hardcore, Freeform, Gabba) ~ Less than 200 Last post on 8/17/12 at 12:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Looking at the picture of the PK3's I wasn't expecting much. They look and feel cheap using a generic case for the drivers. First I tried them without the foam covers and they sounded awful. I...
Disclaimer First of all, I would like to thank Audrey and the Brainwavz team for allowing me to review their S1 IEMs. I would also like to clarify that I am neither an affiliate of Brainwavz...
Overview The Alien is a well-priced (~$250 AUD), compact, screenless player that plays only WAV and FLAC files – no MP3, no AAC, just the two major lossless options. For some people that will...
Shure SRH840, are a value filled set of extraordinary headphones, worth every single coin you spend on it. The bass register is perfect for any genre of song you play through you...
I got the Sennheiser HD-598 based on all the existing rave reviews. It's amazingly comfortable. That's all the good I can say about it. I just hate the sound. Okay, I am no "audiophile". I am...
Best Headphones Under or around a 100?post #1 of 186/30/12 at 7:14amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 186/30/12 at 7:50am
There are a fair number of choices in this price range, depending on what type of sound you want. So it almost always helps us recommend headphones when you tell us your preferences in music, whether you are going to use an amp or not, if you need portability, and if you want open or closed back headphones. Open headphones will leak sound out, and will let noise in from your location, so they are usually at their best in a quiet, indoor setting.
AKG K240 Studio is a semi-open headphone, with a good mid range, with large, comfortable pads. Fairly neutral, I find them appropriate for a lot of different uses, including gaming and watching movies, but they seem a bit dull for rock. They are too big for portable use, and will work without an amp, but will do better with one.
Creative Aurvana Live! is a closed back headphone and won't leak much sound out, though it isn't great at isolation from outside sound. The pads are very soft and most find them comfortable, though the pads are on the small and shallow side, and if you have big ears, yours might not fit entirely within the pads. The CAL! has a warm tone, with a nice bass response, good clarity and a fair amount of sparkle at the high end too. It is a fine choice in this price range, and it does drop down in price periodically to close to $60. No amp necessary for these.
Sony XB700 is another closed back headphone, with pads that look like large pillows. The pads are soft, but can get hot. The XB line of headphones emphasize bass response, so this one is definitely not a neutral sound. These will play well without an amp too.
So those are a few off the top of my head that should be fairly comfortable. I'm sure others will chime in with more options for you.post #3 of 186/30/12 at 8:06am
If you are looking for a small portable 'phone that can be driven by anything and has mucho comfort, try a pair of Senn PX-100 ii.
They are a very warm, but punchy sounding 'phone that work well with iPods, iPads, computer headphone jacks, etc.
They sound great with good headphone amps, too.
They are open 'phones, so if you are worried about leakage they may not be for you.post #4 of 186/30/12 at 8:35amSecond the CAL! the price to sound ratio is amazing and they are still one of my most comfortable headphones. Big ears might be the only detriment to this.post #5 of 186/30/12 at 10:47amThread Starter
Im just looking for just the best recommendations. I kinda listen to anything and was looking for the best all around headphones i can buy under a 100. I will look into the headphones mentioned here, thankspost #6 of 186/30/12 at 11:07amThread Starterpost #7 of 186/30/12 at 11:26ampost #8 of 186/30/12 at 11:45am
The Phillips O'Neil headphone line is inexpensive and sounds great for the price. I picked up a pair at Radio Shack yesterday that was regularly $60 an on sale for $25. They sound great. The only thing missing is the deep bass you would get with more expensive headphones. Urban Ears also makes a nice sounding headphone for around $50. I saw on sale for $40 at, of all places, Crate & Barrel. I listened out of curiosity and was surprised how good they sound.
post #9 of 187/1/12 at 4:53amI forgot to mention the Grado SR-60i, these are Definitely worth a listen.
Thye are a very energetic sounding headphone, try before you buy.
Edited by Chris J - 7/2/12 at 4:27ampost #10 of 187/1/12 at 9:52amThe Philips O'Neill's are a good buy for cheap. A little muddy sounding and build quality isn't the best, but for under $40 they're a good buy. They're my snowboarding headphones and I've trashed them.
But, if you're working with a $100 budget, there's a ton of much better options. They certainly wouldn't be my recommendation.post #11 of 187/6/12 at 12:14ampost #12 of 187/6/12 at 12:23ampost #13 of 187/6/12 at 12:34am
i like the philips Uptown...if i am working on a budget around 100...
this review is a good read...post #14 of 187/6/12 at 7:08amQuote:
Excellent choice. They have fantastic bass, but really benefit from even an inexpensive amp like a FiiO E11.post #15 of 187/6/12 at 8:29am
Koss Pro DJ 100 is also a good choice. I think the comfort is a bit subjective since I find Grados comfortable when others don't. But the DJ100 and the CAL!'s are very good but those are the only ones I have auditioned.
- Best Headphones Under or around a 100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › HD600 vs DT990 Pro 3 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW DannyBai's take on the new Yamaha EPH... 4 seconds ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 6 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 19 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 22 seconds ago
- › The Stax Thread III 25 seconds ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 38 seconds ago
- › Powerful midrange SS amps? 47 seconds ago
- › Audiophiles are bassheads in some degree? 1 minute ago
- › Ottawa Region 2015 Head-fi Meet - Respond here 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K7XX by avitron142
- › YUIN PK3 Earbuds by thebluebulk
- › Brainwavz S1 by thatBeatsguy
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by Loquah
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundScout
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MyFamilyShoppin
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)