Im looking to get some headphones that are good for a cheap price. What i mainly look for is comfort so please help me out on this one. Looking for around a 100
- productAKG Acoustics K240 Monitoring Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M35 Studio Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productCreative Aurvana Live! Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productM-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productPhilips O'Neill SHO9560/28 Over-Ear Headphones (Black Bordeaux)tagged by System, 7/6/12
- productPhilips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptowntagged by System, 7/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 202 Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
- productSennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Blacktagged by System, 7/6/12
- productShure SRH240 Professional Quality Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/6/12More
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 7/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Office recommendations Last post on 9/10/12 at 11:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggestions for bass heavy headphones. Last post on 9/10/12 at 8:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The E5 is so close to being a giant killer but it has a few major flaws in my opinion. This is a technically oriented review. I like neutral sound signatures and bit perfect playback. I don't...
"Massdrop Blue Box - NuForce HEM IEMs" special drop pricing = $169.99*; Actual MSRP = $399.00 (I joined the drop on Massdrop and received the HEM6; LINK. You can find these and the other...
Hi All, I was given the chance to review the new Shozy Zero Rosewood earphones in exchange for just a small fee to cover the shipping. I received, as I'm sure some other reviewers did, an...
-- I give you Lend Me UR Ears house brand Alpha & Delta D2 Sports Earphone: **A few Disclaimers to get out of the way here**: #1 – I was approached by Lend Me UR Ears to review the...
I really like the t-90; I have had them for about two months and really enjoy the brightness. I also have the T70p and the t-5p second gen. I like the t70p better than anything so far. The t 90...
Best Headphones Under or around a 100?post #1 of 186/30/12 at 7:14amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 186/30/12 at 7:50am
There are a fair number of choices in this price range, depending on what type of sound you want. So it almost always helps us recommend headphones when you tell us your preferences in music, whether you are going to use an amp or not, if you need portability, and if you want open or closed back headphones. Open headphones will leak sound out, and will let noise in from your location, so they are usually at their best in a quiet, indoor setting.
AKG K240 Studio is a semi-open headphone, with a good mid range, with large, comfortable pads. Fairly neutral, I find them appropriate for a lot of different uses, including gaming and watching movies, but they seem a bit dull for rock. They are too big for portable use, and will work without an amp, but will do better with one.
Creative Aurvana Live! is a closed back headphone and won't leak much sound out, though it isn't great at isolation from outside sound. The pads are very soft and most find them comfortable, though the pads are on the small and shallow side, and if you have big ears, yours might not fit entirely within the pads. The CAL! has a warm tone, with a nice bass response, good clarity and a fair amount of sparkle at the high end too. It is a fine choice in this price range, and it does drop down in price periodically to close to $60. No amp necessary for these.
Sony XB700 is another closed back headphone, with pads that look like large pillows. The pads are soft, but can get hot. The XB line of headphones emphasize bass response, so this one is definitely not a neutral sound. These will play well without an amp too.
So those are a few off the top of my head that should be fairly comfortable. I'm sure others will chime in with more options for you.post #3 of 186/30/12 at 8:06am
If you are looking for a small portable 'phone that can be driven by anything and has mucho comfort, try a pair of Senn PX-100 ii.
They are a very warm, but punchy sounding 'phone that work well with iPods, iPads, computer headphone jacks, etc.
They sound great with good headphone amps, too.
They are open 'phones, so if you are worried about leakage they may not be for you.post #4 of 186/30/12 at 8:35amSecond the CAL! the price to sound ratio is amazing and they are still one of my most comfortable headphones. Big ears might be the only detriment to this.post #5 of 186/30/12 at 10:47amThread Starter
Im just looking for just the best recommendations. I kinda listen to anything and was looking for the best all around headphones i can buy under a 100. I will look into the headphones mentioned here, thankspost #6 of 186/30/12 at 11:07amThread Starterpost #7 of 186/30/12 at 11:26ampost #8 of 186/30/12 at 11:45am
The Phillips O'Neil headphone line is inexpensive and sounds great for the price. I picked up a pair at Radio Shack yesterday that was regularly $60 an on sale for $25. They sound great. The only thing missing is the deep bass you would get with more expensive headphones. Urban Ears also makes a nice sounding headphone for around $50. I saw on sale for $40 at, of all places, Crate & Barrel. I listened out of curiosity and was surprised how good they sound.
post #9 of 187/1/12 at 4:53amI forgot to mention the Grado SR-60i, these are Definitely worth a listen.
Thye are a very energetic sounding headphone, try before you buy.
Edited by Chris J - 7/2/12 at 4:27ampost #10 of 187/1/12 at 9:52amThe Philips O'Neill's are a good buy for cheap. A little muddy sounding and build quality isn't the best, but for under $40 they're a good buy. They're my snowboarding headphones and I've trashed them.
But, if you're working with a $100 budget, there's a ton of much better options. They certainly wouldn't be my recommendation.post #11 of 187/6/12 at 12:14ampost #12 of 187/6/12 at 12:23ampost #13 of 187/6/12 at 12:34am
i like the philips Uptown...if i am working on a budget around 100...
this review is a good read...post #14 of 187/6/12 at 7:08amQuote:
Excellent choice. They have fantastic bass, but really benefit from even an inexpensive amp like a FiiO E11.post #15 of 187/6/12 at 8:29am
Koss Pro DJ 100 is also a good choice. I think the comfort is a bit subjective since I find Grados comfortable when others don't. But the DJ100 and the CAL!'s are very good but those are the only ones I have auditioned.
- Best Headphones Under or around a 100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Band Name Game II 2 seconds ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 33 seconds ago
- › Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone? 1 minute ago
- › Blind Testing (O/T conversation moved from HD600 thread) 2 minutes ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation) 3 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 3 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 3 minutes ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 4 minutes ago
- › GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Prices in Closed Classifieds 4 minutes ago
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by vapman
- › NuForce HEM6 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Triple... by Hi-Fi EDU
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by jant71
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by BloodyPenguin
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by glennkresge
- › Unique Melody Miracle V2 Universal six driver in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by MMansell
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by stweb
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by ryanjsoo
- › Rhapsodio Galaxy by taz23
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse